PC1 FFB changed on latest update? much better

I don't know what happened, but I've been away from my PC for a week or two and just got back to it a couple days ago. The last time I played, I had been toying with Jack's tweaker files (I hadn't used them since way early in the alpha). I found something I liked, but with all my tweaking found out that I had set the game back to the default settings. At the same time, I set the render frames ahead to 1 after reading it could reduce input lag. I jump in a RUF R12 at Mojave and it is bleeding brilliant. I can feel the front tires and the body weight fine. I can now control slides in road cars and can feel the edge of the SP300R. I went through a bunch of cars that I hadn't tried in release form and they all felt great.

I was really quite blown away. I thought I had tweaked with FZ's and MZ's and SOP's and BOP's to a nice place, but now at default these are all right there. (Maybe not the best FFB, but 98% of the way there). I especially felt it in the Classic Caterham. I could feel the front wheels adhesion so well, but could also slide the car around. I went to the M1 Procar where I had a custom setup, because I wanted to see how awfully I must have tuned that FFB compared to these new defaults. Well, my M1 setup was gone, so it was default, and it was sure better than I had it.

Was this the 4.0 update or something that rode along with the Mojave DLC? Or did my friggin with the tweaker files send everything back to default, which has been updated incrementally since release. Whatever it is, I haven't been happier, and I can picture myself now racing this online.

.. yet as far as I know, there's been absolutely zero changes to the FFB. It is possible that they tweaked the default settings for your particular wheel but nothing in the actual system has changed at all.

There was one quite large update to the street cars and super cars tire model. They fixed some flash heating / tack grip issues or something that was causing unnecessarily sluggish and understeering tires. Due to the complex physics of the tire and the FFB being directly connected to it, this is possibly what you guys are feeling. The core of the FFB system though has never changed since end of last year.

Considering how buggy the game has been it is possible that some bug was fixed that affected you. I think this may very well be one of the reasons why the community is so split on the FFB. I've always had the opinion that the FFB is absolutely amazing in pCars (by far the best of any simulator to date) while others think it is unusable and a complete disaster.

Honestly, I played pCars, SCE and Dirt Rally almost exclusively for since May I think. Then I went back to Assetto (before the latest patch) and the FFB didn't feel good. Felt too springy and canned, but before May I thought it was the bees knees in terms of realism and playability... Its a moving target for all these sims. Seems like they're all beta still. Even iRacing is on their 3rd major tyre revision and they're what, 6-7 years old?

It's actually their 6th tire revision of their NEW tire model. The old one could count as a 7th. :p

Anyhow, bumping this because now Patch 6.0 introduced a lot of tire heating changes yet again and thus FFB has changed (so far it seems for the better) too. Many of the street cars are now extremely easy to drift and have fun with. Still got the camber bug though and engines bog down too much due to the too-large longitudinal grip.. but it's slowly getting there. I'm having a real blast driving these things. Some of the old cars have new life in them now. Had a blast driving the Atom 500 yesterday.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%