FFB and clipping

Bought this great game last weekend and I've started to look more into forcefeedback. I've got a number of questions:

Further to this thread, I wonder if anyone has a MaxForceAtSteeringRack setting that doesn't provide clipping?
How do I measure or tell if the FFB is clipping in GSC?

I've also been changing the FrontGripEffect factor as I like to feel the steering go lighter as grip is lost. Now, considering the max value to reduce clipping is usually identified during cornering, if I have this grip setting high say 0.8 or 1.0, I am likely to have little feedback during a corner i.e. grip is lost so feedback drops off. Therefore, the max forces will be lower and less likely to clip compared to having the grip factor set to the default value of 0.2.

Because of this, is it likely that a MaxForceAtSteeringRack number can be left higher when FrontGripEffect is high?

I've uploaded my RealFealPlugin.ini file:

Is MaxForceAtSteeringRack=-3600.000000 for the V8s correct? I'd messed with the RealFeel settings in-game and I had a completely different value so I'd like to identify what the default is.

Finally, the .ini has this for the Mini: MaxForceAtSteeringRack=1400.000000. I am puzzled how this works as the value should be negative for my G27 wheel. Initially, I thought maybe the car's section name was wrong and GSC was using the default values from the .ini. However, changing the FrontGripEffect in the mini section does affect the game. Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long, and multi-questioned post.

Attachments

• RealFeelPlugin.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 532
When you use FrontGripEffect=0, then you can simply look at MoTec telemetry, see what more or less the highest SteeringArmForce is, and use that value in the RealFeelPlugin.ini.

If you tune this to the absolute peak value you see, FFB will be quite light as there are spikes in FFB over certain bumps for example, so I tend to look for the highest value that is actually sustained a bit, and accept some clipping of more extreme bumps.

When you use FrontGripEffect, then the FFB is no longer a copy of the SteeringArmForce.

Probably the best way to tune this, is by running the game in s small window, and having 'ConsoleEnabled=True' in the RealFeelPlugin.ini. When driving you'll see a bunch of numbers. The last (most right) number is the % of force feedback on a scale of 0 .. 100% sent to your wheel. You want this near 100% but not often at it, as from that point you get clipping. If you see ~90% in a hard fast corner, thats pretty good.

Great stuff, thanks very much.

I also want to see the impact of having the Logitch profiler set to 100% and 107% as well. 107% does seem to have a positive impact on the ffb deadzone on the g27 wheel but I want to make sure it doesn't clip too much.

Time to go and play with some numbers :)

Yes, using more than 100% in the Logitech profiler will bring the clipping zone forward. With the profiler at 100%, when the game sends 100% FFB, the motors are maxed out.

With the profiler at 150%, when the game sends 67% strength request, the Logitech motors have maxed out. This may not be quite this percentage as it may not be a linear scale but you get the idea.

Profiler >100% = dial game FFB down in proportion to avoid clipping.

Right, been playing and decided that -4,800 is a good value for MaxForceAtSteeringRack to remove most of the clipping. Unfortunately, this leaves weak feedback overall so I've increased the figure to -3, 900 for the time being.

It took me a while to get to grips with the console because I didn't understand the right most percentage figure. This starts at .99 or 1 while stationary in the pits and then goes down under steering load. What I used was the fourth figure from the right as this showed the steering force after damping as a percentage of the MaxForceAtSteeringRack. Any numbers over 100% are presumably being clipped.

I changed this in controler ini file:

FFB steer force grip function="1.00000"
FFB steer force grip weight="1.00000"
FFB steer force grip factor="1.00000"

and

FrontGripEffect=0.400000

from 0.2 in realfeelplugin.ini for F3 car. Not sure if it is a good tweak, but I think I like it more. Looks like my wheel gets more lighter when I'm loosing grip. Need more testing.

Edit: Looks like 0.4 is doesn't work for all tracks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%