Ferrari Could Enter Formula E in the Future

Ferrari Formula E.jpg
Ferrari CEO Sergio Marchionne says the manufacturer could enter Formula E in the future, but not until the series eliminates the midrace car swap.

The all electric series is becoming more and more popular among manufacturers. Renault, Audi, Jaguar, and Mercedes are all names that have signed up to the series, but Marchionne doesn’t think FE is at the level where Ferrari want to invest yet.

The main problem he outlined in a teleconference with investors is the mid-race car swap. At the moment, the battery life means drivers have to swap car midway through the race, but the series intends to develop a battery with a long enough life to eliminate the swap by the 2018/19 season (season five).

"The Formula E arrangement now, as much as I think it’s tough to make technology relevant on the track, is still substantially short to what I would expect to have,” he said. “I mean, the fact that you have to change cars during the race is unhelpful simply because of the duration of the battery charges. And I think we need to find a better way of expressing the interest in electrification and Formula E.

So it’s unlikely we’re going to see Ferrari in Formula E before 2018, but after that? Marchionne isn’t ruling it out.

“We continue to look at it. And I think I’ve not given up on the idea of potentially one day entering – if the parameters are such that Ferrari can effectively make a difference. If it cannot make a difference then it should not take part.”

For more Formula E news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula E sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Would you like to see Ferrari in Formula E? What would you think of an all electric Ferrari road car? Let us know in the comments below!

Not sure why so many people dislike Formula E, but the series provides some of the closest racing in the world. The sound is hard to deal with (which is why I listen to music during the races), but it doesn't completely distract from the action.

This article makes me wonder whether or not we'll see Ferrari (488 electric model?) enter the Electric GT series in the future. Tesla and Ferrari battling for supremacy on the track? Sounds good to me!

This quiet electric race car stuff is absolute crap. I'm sorry for those that always seems to say "I for one am looking forward to this". The so-called global warming that is behind this push is such nonsense. Everyone that gets behind this feels they are such loving people that will "save the planet". Unfortunately, this whole thing will lead to exactly where manufacturers want it to go, and spectators will be left without any real racing anymore. Manufacturers love this because their dream racing is:
1. Computer driven car. One guy controls the car from pit lane using telemetry compiled over testing. No driver salary, no room for mistakes caused by said driver. Removes the risk of their investment coming down to one driver mistake.
2. Less people involved. Again, saves tons of money. Far less moving parts. No engine, pistons, exhaust, gearbox etc. Hate to tell you folks: If you thought the move from a manual gearbox to paddle shifting took too much away from the driver, then we've got news for you: There is no shifting with an electric motor. Basically 1 gear. So.....Automatics. Wow. Exciting.
3. Computer does all the work. Those with the most money ie Porsche, Ferrari etc, always win.
But hey, it's already that way with prototypes/F1. Do you think Porsche invests Billions over the years to come in 12th place? The technology and rules are catered to the team with the most money so that they win. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted. I'll look back and remember racing as it was. At least we have sim racing. Of course, well, if that follows this trend then I guess that will suck to. Hmm, let's see: I'll pick my parameters, enter my E-Auto-race car in an online race, it'll drive itself while I'm at work. Then when I get home, I'll find out if I won or not. Awesome. Can't wait. Look! I'm 3rd overall in the standings! Man, I'm awesome!

There is no shifting with an electric motor. Basically 1 gear.
Formula E cars have gears...
I don't know if you've watched Formula E or not, but it really is exciting (except the noise. I totally understand anybody's complaints about the noise). Drivers do a lot of work.
The autonomous racing that's being developed isn't designed to take over from actual racing (I'm currently working on an article with Lucas Di Grassi, who is helping to develop the Devbot, so look out for that). It's just about pushing technology and finding out how far they can go.
Autonomous racing will never take over from drivers, because the fans won't allow it. The fans, as much as I am excited about the roborace from a nerdy science point of view, want actual drivers. The drivers are the heroes and there wouldn't be racing without them. And the organisers kind of want fans. There isn't much money in it without them

Not sure why so many people dislike Formula E, but the series provides some of the closest racing in the world. The sound is hard to deal with (which is why I listen to music during the races), but it doesn't completely distract from the action.

This article makes me wonder whether or not we'll see Ferrari (488 electric model?) enter the Electric GT series in the future. Tesla and Ferrari battling for supremacy on the track? Sounds good to me!

People are still not willing to deal with the fact that like it or not & no matter how much fracking & Tar sand they use to prop up the world dwindling oil supplies , the end of motor racing has well know it will end .

What ever replace's it ultimately be it Electric or some other not yet know form of power is yet to happen.
The cosmetic like sound only seem odd to us the people who grew up at the height of the Petrol motor-sport's age.

At the end of the day if the racing is close & exciting leads to interesting car design I am sure it will start attracting more fans.

Oil supplies will end? I'm sorry you have no idea what you're talking about. What do you think all the massive mining equipment used to mine minerals for batteries are powered with? Electricity? :) You've been fed a lot of nonsense by those attacking fossil fuels and apparently have bought it hook, line and sinker. More diesel, gas, oil is burned just mining for batteries than a little 4 cylinder gasoline car will ever use. But, hey ignorance is bliss. And, if you can get the stupid public to blow $35,000 on a hybrid instead of $15,000 for a gasoline powered car, making them think they're saving the planet, then great.

Last edited:
Oil supplies will end? I'm sorry you have no idea what you're talking about. What do you think all the massive mining equipment used to mine minerals for batteries are powered with? Electricity? :) You've been fed a lot of nonsense by those attacking fossil fuels and apparently have bought it hook, line and sinker. More diesel, gas, oil is burned just mining for batteries than a little 4 cylinder gasoline car will ever use. But, hey ignorance is bliss. And, if you can get the stupid public to blow $35,000 on a hybrid instead of $15,000 for a gasoline powered car, making them think they're saving the planet, then great.
I live in Winchester, which has the worst air quality in the UK. If electric cars make the air quality better on the streets where I live, means there's less smog in Beijing or London, then I don't see it as a bad thing.

Not a bad thing. But you're also assuming that the pollution comes only or mostly from cars and cars with batteries will reverse this. That's the line we're sold anyway. It's simply not true. I would challenge those so-called facts. China has the worst pollution in the world right now. And it is caused by development on an uncontrolled scale. Development is done by heavy machinery. There's no way to accomplish this by battery powered vehicles. The main point however is that China has the densest population in the smallest area. This is the problem. Making the public buy electric cars won't solve anything. Perhaps it will even make the problem worse. More equipment. More mining, etc. If the city planners had controlled development and spread things out, in any city, there would be far less pollution. It's not because of all the cars putting out emissions at the tailpipe. It's because there are so many of them in such a small area. Where's all the pollution? In densely populated areas. If they had planned things out better, or made changes in this regard, this would solve the problem. Mining for toxic metals is not the answer. Of course, it makes a few people wealthy, while you and I pay the bill. So, I guess it is the answer.

Not a bad thing. But you're also assuming that the pollution comes only or mostly from cars and cars with batteries will reverse this. That's the line we're sold anyway. It's simply not true. I would challenge those so-called facts. China has the worst pollution in the world right now. And it is caused by development on an uncontrolled scale. Development is done by heavy machinery. There's no way to accomplish this by battery powered vehicles. The main point however is that China has the densest population in the smallest area. This is the problem. Making the public buy electric cars won't solve anything. Perhaps it will even make the problem worse. More equipment. More mining, etc. If the city planners had controlled development and spread things out, in any city, there would be far less pollution. It's not because of all the cars putting out emissions at the tailpipe. It's because there are so many of them in such a small area. Where's all the pollution? In densely populated areas. If they had planned things out better, or made changes in this regard, this would solve the problem. Mining for toxic metals is not the answer. Of course, it makes a few people wealthy, while you and I pay the bill. So, I guess it is the answer.
I don't really understand if your argument is "manufacturing causes pollution in cities, not car exhausts" or "it doesn't matter because mining for toxic metals is bad". Whilst I agree with the latter, mining for toxic minerals is a lot better on the pollution levels of these cities. The electric cars which produce very little pollution whilst in use would be so much better than diesel that's producing quite a bit of pollution. And I don't exactly have the figures to hand, but mining for toxic metals isn't going to be much worse than mining for oil/gas.
And on the manufacturing side of things. I don't know if you've ever been to Winchester, but there is definitely not a huge manufacturing industry here. In Beijing, maybe, but in London and Winchester, it's caused by diesel mostly and whilst electric cars won't reverse the damage already done, it'll do less damage in the cities. Seriously, the reason why Winchester is so polluted is because there's so little parking and people go round and round in circles on our one way system looking for parking spots.
Of course electric cars aren't the only solution to such a huge problem, but it's part of the solution.

I don't think electric cars are the solution for congested cities simply because you're still throwing energy away to do something a much more efficient system could achieve.

"We like cars, but focussed pollution is bad, so lets make cars that displace pollution"... job done? Not really.

It's like recycling. It's a disgusting abomination of ecology because it's still horrendously inefficient. Re-use is what will help improve our environment, but much like with cars people don't seem to want to give up conveniences for the benefit of their environment, despite most people now having more free time than ever before to do things the harder but better way.

Formula E risks being all about money. And just like F1, the technology is impressive but often completely mis-directed towards uses valuable towards the purpose of the series to begin with, in this case efficiency and ecology and 'greeness'

Things I'd like to see, no limits to power output or regeneration. Just a total energy budget for the race.

That allows teams to go light, or go for capacity, or go for charging speed (allow fast recharging in the race for example)

Teams need the flexibility to come up with innovative new solutions to problems. Yes, one season one team might dominate, but within the realms of 'greeness innovation' surely that is a good thing?

At least it avoids 'innovations' that we see in F1 which are ducting an exhaust a special way through a diffuser, so useful for the average road car haha!

Dave

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years