Ferrari 640 1989 F1

Specs:
510kg
3.5 Litre V12 660BHP 13000RPM
7-Speed Semi-Auto Gearbox (the very first ever seen in F1)
Good Year Tyres
Kevlar and Carbon Fibre Monocoque
Advanced Push-Rod Suspension

Progress:

Disclaimer: This is my first proper 3D model (I've toyed about with blender and some car blueprints for a while) and hence I am open to constructive criticism as there is no doubt that something I'm doing is wrong. Whether or not this car will make it into the game I'm not sure. It depends on how much free time I have however currently I have large amounts of it and thought I'd try. I have taken a box modelling approach for the first time as opposed to poly modelling and am really liking the way it is shaping up and find this a much easier method with much simpler workflow.

15/8/16
Just started this today, the Ferrari 640 1989 F1 as driven by Nigel Mansell and Gerhard Berger.

I have made good progress on the base body, however have quickly mocked up most of the car (in fairly inaccurate and not so detailed modelling) so I could give a nice render:

I will be redoing these bits accurately however decided that I just wanted something nice to show. This is my actual "accurate" progress currently:

When I saw the large air intake behind the driver's head, I thought for a momento that you went for a 641, but then there's two versions of this car. Cool project, Coca-Cola Ferraris were gorgeous.

When I saw the large air intake behind the driver's head, I thought for a momento that you went for a 641, but then there's two versions of this car. Cool project, Coca-Cola Ferraris were gorgeous.
Yeah theres two versions, haven't researched it enough yet but I'll probably just be making this version as its the one I recognize and I don't really want to have the hassle of 2 models. But then again the other one is very similar with some slight differences that wouldn't take long to model, so let's see!

• Deleted member 161052

Love it. It's gonna be so good.

I really enjoyed your 643F1 physics, hope you're in this project too.
Thank you :) Much appreciated. I have no idea honestly. The OP is very clearly in the early stages of the model and may not finish it/get busy/**** happens :p so no commitments from me but yes I'd be interested if offered the option.

Sorry OT

Last edited:
Yeah theres two versions, haven't researched it enough yet but I'll probably just be making this version as its the one I recognize and I don't really want to have the hassle of 2 models. But then again the other one is very similar with some slight differences that wouldn't take long to model, so let's see!

Well you picked the prettier version and that's what counts.

'89 was the first year of normally aspirated engines after the turbo era. I can only imagine Ferrari's engine department weren't talking to their chassis department and nobody told them that the new engine would require an air intake.

Didn't stop it winning on its debut in the Brazilian heat though.

mansell2.jpg

Thank you :) Much appreciated. I have no idea honestly. The OP is very clearly in the early stages of the model and may not finish it/get busy/**** happens :p so no commitments from me but yes I'd be interested if offered the option.

Sorry OT
Sorry also for the OT, which 643 did you work on? AC's ASR one, or a car for another sim? Thanks.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 159 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%