Ferrari 250 GTO Coming to Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Ferrari 250 GTO.jpg

Marco Massarutto has revealed a first image of the iconic Ferrari 250 GTO that is due to be added to Assetto Corsa later in the year.

As part of the Ferrari anniversary celebrations due to take place this year, Kunos revealed a while back that a very special Ferrari DLC will be arriving for Assetto Corsa during 2017, the first new Ferrari content in the game for a quite a while by all accounts likely to feature some of the finest cars ever released by the Italian manufacturers.

Part of the end of year blog post Kunos said of new Ferrari content:

"As you might know, in 2017 we will celebrate 70 years of the most iconic automotive Brand, and we’ll do it in our style, with seven of the most iconic and famous models created in Maranello. You can already start to think about your favourite ones, because you will have the chance to vote for it"

Presumably part of the new DLC package, Marco Massarutto has revealed a rather tempting looking teaser of the exceptional 250 GTO, long regarded as one of the most strikingly beautiful Ferrari's ever to be produced by a manufacturer world renowned for their design quality during the last 70 years of supercar manufacturing.

Ferrari 250 GTO.png

Produced by Ferrari between 1962 to 1964 for homologation into the FIA's Group 3 Grand Touring Car category, the 250 GTO very quickly went into the record books as one of the most desirable cars created by Enzo Ferrari and his engineers, supported by a long list of success out on the racetracks of the world. Using the then popular 3.0 litre Tipo 168 V12 engine, the 250 would be capable of producing 300hp when first launched, however as was the trend of the time the power down on the real wheels would be substantially biased towards the low end of the torque range, giving those lucky enough to purchase one of the 39 models produced a hair raising driving experience with plenty of opportunity for real wheel slip under heavy acceleration, something Ferrari and designers Giotto Bizzarrini and Sergio Scaglietti looked to help alleviate by adding wide track tyres to the rear of the car and the aerodynamic spoiler, helping shape the aggressive posture so famous with the 250 GTO.

With the car designed specifically to help Ferrari's quest to beat it's then main rivals Jaguar, Shelby and Aston Martin in GT racing, the 250 GTO marked a significant upturn in fortunes for the team. Securing the over 2000cc class of the FIA's International Championship for GT Manufacturers in 1962, 1963, and 1964 with such talents as Formula One World Champion Phil Hill behind the wheel of these beautiful machines.

Oh and that sound...
No details as to when the car will be made available, or indeed if the 250 GTO will come as part of a larger DLC pack or released as a standalone content are available at this time. Stay tuned to RaceDepartment for more information as and when it becomes known.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 by Kunos Simulazioni.

Assetto Corsa and online racing = Love! Check out our brilliant Assetto Corsa League and Club racing forum for great racing events suitable for all skills and experiences. We host regular events using popular content and guarantee a great time for all. Additionally we have a very active sub forum for the game where players can catch up on the latest news and engage with fellow community members here at RD. You can download mods from our modding archive, discuss W.I.P projects in our Modding Discussion Forum and try out a selection of car setups for a wide range of vehicles. Come on, get yourself involved in the action today!

Looking forward to the 250 GTO coming to Assetto Corsa? What other models from the Ferrari back catalogue would you like to see? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
There could be as well that a track is far bigger than a car so there is more work to be done.

Yes & no. Lidar greatly speeds up the process. How long did lilski take to produce NJMP... 5 months? In his spare time?!? So, in theory, a single track artist could pump out 3-4 smaller laser-scanned tracks per year without breaking a sweat. In reality, the big name tracks take a bit longer because of greater detail, but it's still possible for a single artist to create 2 per year.

How many artists does Kunos have working on cars? How many on tracks? The ratio of car releases to track releases suggests they're heavily overweight on car artists compared to other studios.

Yes & no. Lidar greatly speeds up the process. How long did lilski take to produce NJMP... 5 months? In his spare time?!? So, in theory, a single track artist could pump out 3-4 smaller laser-scanned tracks per year without breaking a sweat. In reality, the big name tracks take a bit longer because of greater detail, but it's still possible for a single artist to create 2 per year.

How many artists does Kunos have working on cars? How many on tracks? The ratio of car releases to track releases suggests they're heavily overweight on car artists compared to other studios.
4 months.

I totally agree with you on this one but when you would make smaller, less known tracks people would come again and moan and complain about why they did´t get Monaco, etc.

I totally agree with you on this one but when you would make smaller, less known tracks people would come again and moan and complain about why they did´t get Monaco, etc.

Street circuits... now THOSE are a bitch, LOL! Very hard to give a realistic appearance and still have decent framerates. Here's where I'll kowtow to pCARS 2 & Forza for impressive looking graphics at Long Beach.

[I don't have either of those, so don't know about fps, but the screenshots & videos of Long Beach are worthy of applause]

Why are we ignoring that Timed Races exist in Multiplayer since 1.12 update and we keep asking for it in this thread?

@Bram You're not being fair in comparing what Kunos devs do for the % of multiplayer users and % of VR users. The devs are working in bringing support for HTC Vive, Multiplayer support already exists, doesn't it?
You're saying they aren't doing anything for MP.. maybe anything you specifically want for livestreaming on RD.
- Netcode got a big update last year which makes it good for close racing.
- there are false starts with penalties (teleport to pits or pit lane drive-through)
- timed races
- last lap of the race for everyone after 1st place crosses the finish line
- ballast
- improved transitions and time information between MP sessions
- you can set max collisions per Km so players get auto kicked
- flag system (not enforced, just informational but it helps to know accidents ahead and overlapping cars, black flag for not respecting track cutting penalties. So this remains a good update)
- livetiming app (with different colors for opponents ahead, same lap, and lap behind) and multi-line chat app
- post-race lap where you can drive back to pits without being teleport to pits instantly

So this to you is they did nothing for MP and all for VR? These are the things I just remember from seeing in the updates changelog and using in online racing, maybe I forgot stuff but there are more customizations present in AcServerManager.

Hopefully it will come the day in sim racing games where players just use the game to directly connect to races without having to sign up on league websites, 3rd party apps, or RD. And sims offer all the casual and competitive online racing without the need of community servers. Only LAN racing tournaments are setup by 3rd parties.

One thing we agree on, AC should have better broadcasting/streaming and spectating functionalities, but back in 2012/2013 these things weren't really relevant for sim racing, so is normal if already released sims don't have these features.

Quality or quantity? This is the real and only one qestion that you need to ask yourself every time new car comes out or will come out. I like to drive only race cars in this game, especialy modern ones, because I like to watch and copy real championships and do the same thing in the virtual world (in terms of that iRacing is the best). DTM, GT4, GT3, GT2, Porsche Cup, Tatuus TA01 - this is the list of things on which Kunos should work and improve over time (tire model, physic, FFB etc.). Everything else is made for public servers aka "Nordschleife Tourist Track Day 24/7" that I hate when I am looking for good car/track combo server to race on with people who have at leats some skill and don`t crash in the first turn (or 2nd). And by saying all that I am not calling myself a proffesional driver that can`t find people to compete with.

Some seem more intent on collecting cars than driving cars. hahahaah. Over 150 cars in Assetto Corsa and folks still aren't happy? HAHAHAH. Spend less time dreaming about your virtual garage lads !

You are allowed to think this but you are not allowed to say such things out loud in public. Now a group of keyboard warriors of the AC Defense Team will prepare themselves to come by and tell you that the devs working on yet another road car DLC are not the same people working on AI, flags, league features, dedicated servers, driver swaps, day / night transition, tracks etc. After two years since our open letter I am now sincerely asking myself the question who is actually working on such features then?

I bought yet another AC game as a gift for a friend this week and thought that spending 50 euros on the base game plus 3 dreampacks would give him all the content. But no, an additional 45 euros needs to be paid to get all the DLC's and now we get yet another one? Sorry but this is becoming the most expensive sim racing game of all times next to iracing and apart from an endless list of amazing super cars we (the members of the 10% club) are still waiting for multiplayer features so we can host proper online leagues.

Content, physics, and graphic wise Assetto Corsa is the promise of being a genuine successor to GTR2, a GT game we have been waiting for since 10 years and yet in 2017 the full potential of AC is still not being fully unleashed. Why can nobody can give me the exact reasons why more and more (road) car DLC is being pushed out fragmenting the online community and standard features from a decade ago are still absent.

Don't bring me that old argument that we are only 10% of online racers and that we aren't with enough to make such requests/demands. That argument isn't valid anymore since the 1% VR users are being heard and are getting their stuff developed now.

The sim racing community has been bitching and moaning about sector 3 for having huge brake markers, questionable arcade physics and a not so free to play game, but they listened and reversed all of that leaving us with an almost finished (and very underestimated) RaceRoom Experience game. If S3 with only a handful of people employed can develop core features of their game, why can't Kunos with millions earned

I love Assetto Cosa since the first minute I drove the Z4 around Monza on Gamescom back in 2012 but we are now five years further and too many features are still missing for this game to justify a 100 euros purchase on Steam.

No question that the majority of the buyers absolutely adore all this content and the customer is always right of course and the sales numbers don't lie. Giving the commercial success of Assetto Corsa on Steam I can only conclude for myself that I expected this to become "your racing simulator" as was advertised and promised back in the days and so far it still hasn't fully met my personal expectations.

I hope I will be surprised with something groundbreaking in 2017 such as the above features.

You read my thoughts ... but the DLC brings in more money ...
I go back on my rF2 ...Free, Fun and Fuious sim :p

Every announcement turns into a complaint fest about what AC doesn't have...

How about moving on and finding something that suits your needs?

When did it become wrong as a paying customer to complain? Beyond being a right it is a necessity. Companies, followed only by shills, have no pressure to improve and deliver exceptional results. They usually fail because shills never have the courage to tell them they need to change. Pressure leads to effort leads to progress leads to better results.

it would be nice to see Kunos polish their game and add the missing features that many other small developers like Sector 3 and Reiza have been able to accomplish. The small dev excuse is not acceptable to me.
So Sector 3 Studios and Reiza has created their own sim racing, physics and graphics engine from scratch from the ground up, or have they used a "off the shelf Engine" that has been developed by another company, S3S has released more dlc than any simracing company put together, you can also hear the old rfactor 1 sounds in both their titles, with one just adding reverb and better samples, how the table would turn if they both created their own engine from scratch.

When did it become wrong as a paying customer to complain? Beyond being a right it is a necessity. Companies, followed only by shills, have no pressure to improve and deliver exceptional results. They usually fail because shills never have the courage to tell them they need to change. Pressure leads to effort leads to progress leads to better results.
There are some things in the devs power they can do with the current game and some decisions are better left with a new game. Is not the end of the world if the company didn't get it all right for the current game, is not the end of the world if the devs 7 years ago didn't think of everything for how the game should have been 7 years in the future. Maybe it was their plan all along for the game to be how it is, and is not the end of the world either.

Are you calling everyone a shill who reported bugs and gave suggestions in the AC support forum? Those are the ones who help devs a bunch by identifying issues and areas in the game to be improved realistically. But just because they also praise the devs work after an update, after content release, after an announcement they become shills?
So unless the paying customers talk negatively about the game all the time they aren't considered shills? Do you have to always say the wrongs and you're not allowed to celebrate and compliment? What a gray society.

Do you become a shill if you're not using every opportunity to ask for dynamic cycle of day-night and weather?

I am happy for every car added to the games i play (now AC, AMS and sometimes pCars) and i don't understand all the complaints...
AC is not a Perfect game but it's fantastic for the handling and the FFB...
It's just a matter of what you like in a driving game...
If you dont like AC and its cars/tracks you still have AMS, pCars, rF2, iRacing, and so on...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back