• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Fence wall - best method?

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by Alex Kyriak, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Alex Kyriak

Alex Kyriak

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, wanted some advice and where better to come than this great forum

I want to create a wire fence wall that includes the posts as geometry (as opposed to the posts being a texture). Sort of like this:

wall.jpg

You can see the vertical posts as geometry/mesh in the wire fence, behind some armco barrier.

Here is the fence type I've been using up to now, which is just a standard Wall object with the default BTB fence texture applied. No proper posts visible:

ak_texprob_btb.jpg

So the question(s): what is the best method to make the fence with mesh posts? Should I use a SObject for this, combining a post element with the fence 'plane' element?

If I wanted to include the armco / concrete wall below the fence, should I include this in the SObject? Is this a good idea in terms of efficiency of polygons? Or could it facet too much on tighter corners?

Or should I combine a SObject of the fence (posts and wire) with a Wall object instead? Ie, align a Wall and a SObject, to create the effect of one overall barrier? How would I control aligning them properly?

Has anyone succesfully built this type of thing in BTB? Any tips much appreciated :D

2. Alex Kyriak

Alex Kyriak

Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, to answer my own question, maybe I should create the fence as a Sobject, then create a Wall in front of it. That way I can control the wall textures - armco, concrete, tyrewall, logos, etc - independently from the Object used in the Sobject. Have tested it out below.

wall_w.jpg

wall_s.jpg
    [​IMG]

Then I just need to be careful to align them properly.
    [​IMG]

3. martinez

martinez

Ratings:
    +14
    I think you can build it all as a Wall.. But you can't use the multimaterial cross-sections as I remember..