Fellow Bootcampers

Reactions: Bez
Went for testing this afternoon and found I didn't need the password for the server. Then found my set up from yesterday hadn't saved then found the smoke that @Marc Beswick was on about coming out of my car and it was dry conditions. I'm sure it's smoke just built up from sitting idle in the garage? It does clear eventually but I was having problems with the car so I went out and came back in with a different BM and the smoke issue wasn't there. Anyway gave up with the bm and started work on the civic. Slowly at first doing default to start then gradually building up a setting for it and I ended up setting myself a target of getting under 1.50 lap. By the time I had to go to work, I'd got it down to 1.50.1 so progress was made and I'm pleased with the work done. Had to change tyres as the front and rear left had gone and you could really tell as my lap time was creeping back up again. This game just gets better and better for me, I love it!!!

Reactions: Bez
@David O'Reilly hmmmm, when i compared my setup against yours its VASTLY different...would you be able to give it a drive and see what ive done wrong?
the odd thing is it feels really stable, that probably says more about my driving than anything else I suspect.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7dwHhSalASneTJDUl9yUUpLMTVMb1J2OHVXZWg1bldmYnhV/view?usp=sharing
I did a few laps.
Yes it felt very stable and solid.
The Dampers/ARB/Spring settings all are done there (stiff at front) to push grip away from the front end and with 70% diff lock both sides it isn't going to oversteer. My diff is appr 40/30 here (was 20/20 at Naz)
Front camber is much less than mine. I tried lower camber and it seemed slower to me.
It felt ok.
But my setup was 1.5 sec faster the first lap I drove with it.
I have the car more on the nose so it turns in better and had better mid corner front grip.
Its a bit looser but a lot of feel and while your front end feels solid the mid corner grip is not as good.
I tried rear slow bump 2 rebound 4 for Surtees and it felt good. without the other costs of high diff lock settings.
So summary, I think you can manage less understeer than this. Also your front tyrewear will be worse with current set-up. (diff lock on power, hard springs and dampers at front)

Ive adjusted my Naz setup to Brands Now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7unklbntiwyf3z/R8BRANDS.svm?dl=0

@David O'Reilly Really appreciate you giving the setup a try and the feedback, I suspected it would be a slower setup than yours, I was speaking to @Jim Brailsford today and said i think your setup is a faster setup. I thought the camber might be wrong as I wasnt 100% sure what i was doing was the right thing, reason i reduced the neg camber was due to the tyres showing more heat on the inside edge. Im pleased the overall setup felt stable to you as that was may main goal with the setup, I figured get it stable then try and reduce some of the stability to gain speed back.
After my first race last night in the GSCE mini im fearing that im gonna be VERY slow in the audi tomorrow but I was loving seeing how the faster drivers like @Franklin Stegink drove the car, Im still not sure how i could ever be that fast.

@Marc Beswick pleasure mate.
With Camber at this point in RF2 evolution I would recommend using performance (front turn in) as your guide. The temps vary so much that certainly I haven't got an empirical database of what should be what temp wise. Also what lap to take the temp as it (and delta) increases for up to 15 laps!
The inside edge will always be hotter as its always working. Attempts Ive made to get the numbers to make sense eg middle temp in middle of two the edges temps just dont work.
The middle and inside will be within 10-30 deg rubber (not surface temp) and the outside edge WAY cooler
So for camber I go to Nazareth and see what gives best front grip. Then see at the right track if .1 or .2 less is better. At Brands it isnt.
Also just intuitively front camber will always be more than rear camber in a rear wheel drive car as they (fronts) are not propelling the car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back