VRC 2009 Williams FW31

Cars VRC 2009 Williams FW31 1.4

Login or Register an account to download this content
This car is ageing like a good wine, great work guys. Along with the F2002, these are the two best F1 mods around and showing Kunos how it's done IMO. We might be asking your permission to run a new league with it in the near future - I assume you'd welcome that?

Last edited:
Great to see this car still being kept up to date. Some feedback I can offer:
  • The ride height seems too low. It bottoms out a lot, and it's really difficult to get out of gravel traps even on the highest ride height setting. Realistic perhaps but pretty frustrating. Maybe the collider is too low under the car?
  • The car doesn't cope with kerbs very well at all. Exit kerbs are fine but if you put the inside tyre on a lot of apex kerbs you spin immediately. Particular examples are turns 10-15 at Spa.
  • There is a slightly strange blending of engine sounds at very low and high speeds. Especially noticeable when you set off from the pits.
All that said, in my opinion this is the most fun modern F1 car to drive in AC at the moment :) Keep up the good work!

The collider placement is mm accurate, try increasing the front heave rate and reduce the travel range to reduce bottoming out, also i wouldn't recommend lower than 20 mm for the front ride height (if you're stuck in a gravel trap then i can't really help :D)

Concerning the kerbs, try reducing damping (the default setup is overdamped), also the right front/rear combination can help reducing the oversteer on kerbs, unless you are trying to ride some very high kerbs agressively.

Try setting rear camber to -2.3 on the default setup and you will see the difference :)

The sound you hear in pits or generally close to walls is the external sound.

Last edited:
In other words a bunch of adjustments to the default setup will help, good to hear.

That's interesting regarding the sound. I did wonder why it only happened in certain parts of the track...

Good work on the update, the only thing I would like to ask if the mirror resolution can be improved in the cockpit? I have it maxed out in the game settings, Kunos cars' mirrors look high-res, the Williams' however is low-res and has strange FOV.

Great to see this car still being kept up to date. Some feedback I can offer:
  • The ride height seems too low. It bottoms out a lot, and it's really difficult to get out of gravel traps even on the highest ride height setting. Realistic perhaps but pretty frustrating. Maybe the collider is too low under the car?
  • The car doesn't cope with kerbs very well at all. Exit kerbs are fine but if you put the inside tyre on a lot of apex kerbs you spin immediately. Particular examples are turns 10-15 at Spa.
  • There is a slightly strange blending of engine sounds at very low and high speeds. Especially noticeable when you set off from the pits.
All that said, in my opinion this is the most fun modern F1 car to drive in AC at the moment :) Keep up the good work!

Rob Eady does make a good point about ride height. I'm not getting stuck in gravel per say, but if I drive very slowly through grass for example (effectively nullifying any effect of dampers/heave rates/travel etc as the suspension is hardly moving) the front plank and rear diffuser are bottoming out a lot. The result is that steering inputs make very little difference even at these low speeds as you get the feeling that the tyres are struggling to reach the ground. I have also confirmed this by moving the cockpit cam under the car, it's definitely lower than say the SF15T which steers just fine over grass at the same low speeds. Even at max ride height, you still get this sensation to some extent.

Also, I'm generally finding kerbs fine then suddenly it steps out like Rob Eady says - again I'm pretty sure this is the underside of the car smashing into the kerb as when it doesn't do this it rides them very well in fact.

PS:- Still a fanboy of this awesome car :)
PSS:- As I'm not having any problems getting out of gravel, though I haven't done that much testing, it would suggest that the main problem is at the front.

Looks like our old lady got her mirrors fixed :inlove:

0b5bf424cd8b7627db0686188b8cf063.jpg

Thanks to Matias and Scott for the help :)

Yes, unfortunately the reverb sounds in cockpit view are really strange right now. In Silverstone, you can clearly hear that on the pit straights and under the bridges.

By the way, what about the S1 version, shouldn't there be 6.6 seconds of KERS available? Right now it feels like less than 4 seconds.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%