Fanatec CSW V2 "Exhaust Fan Issue"

The fan seems to have a mind of its own..
Would run and spin during boot up but would not kick in anymore when playing.
I would have 10 laps on the Nurburgring and it would not start to spin unlike before. Then I would go to have a drink and come back to find the fan spinning. Sometimes it would not sometimes it will. It also would have these random noises unlike before.

I don't feel the wheel becoming hot or anything but I also for the moment don't use very strong FF.

Yes I have the latest v261/64bit driver thinking that it might fix this problem.
I maybe should have flashed it 2 more times heard it could help eliminate some issues.

This sorth of started when I first connected the P1 wheel for the Xbox One. Then when I switched to the PS3 from Xbox One I was suppose to put it in PC mode first. Then when I am at the PS3 menu put it in PS3 mode.

It was in Xbox One mode when I had it connected to PS3 and I hope this didn't create the fan issue.

I forgot to mention one time the fan was trying to stay on but would power down in speed then power up then down and so on it would keep doing this until I shut the wheel off and turned it on again... I guess the regulation of the fan is way off. It also has this chirping noise.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue; at power up the fan runs at full speed, and rarely spins down to a normal setting, I haven't heard it chirp though, I sent it back to Fanatec support last year, waited a couple of months for the repair. Fix lasted a couple of months now its back. I don't really want to lose my wheel for a couple of months again, I am at this point thinking of opening it up and adding a manual fan control. It doesn't seem to affect the the performance and when I am in the Rift, with the headphones on the annoyance is minimal still this seems to be a fairly common issue.

Upvote 0
Bummer, now at boot up only the intake fan kicks in but the exhaust is dead. Yeah, I am also looking into opening the back end and looking into the wiring. Heard something somewhere were the wiring needs to be replaced or something like that. Will have to look into that.

Upvote 0
My CSW V2 rear case fan started rattling a couple of weeks ago and felt like it was kicking less air about, so i took a quick video of it sent it to Fanatec and within the week i was back up and racing.

It took a couple of emails with some questions and then a couple of days or so waiting on the post and about an hour to fit from start it finish.

Fan and wheel working perfectly again.

Jason.

Upvote 0
Mine started to kick less air just about before it died now. I think this whole chirping noises is all related to the fan. There is quiet some people with these issues.

Was it this kind of rattle

There is a new driver/firmware update 289. Will try and see if that kick starts the fan back. Hopefully. I thing my warranty is up.

Was it one year they offer for the warranty?

But even still I'm afraid to say I don't trust even Fanatec working on my equipment especially with the CSW V2. I have sent in my CSP V2 once and got it back no issue. I just naturally don' trust no one unless they tell me specifically why this problem is happening and how they going to fix it.

Its good you got yours working again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Listened to video and your fan is a lot noisier than mine but apart from the sneeze ;) is making a very similar noise.

My unit is well out of warranty but i think the postage was more than the fan so it hardly broke the bank and was once i got my base off my rig was a simple affair to replace.

Jason.

Upvote 0
Lol. No, that's not my base.

Ok so you basically replaced your fan that Fanatec sent you? So can you buy spare parts from them?

Funny thing is I remembered someone saying that this issue also could be something voltage related and that Fanatec was suppose to fix it in latest firmware. I haven't updated the firmware just yet but I unplugged the power for a while to drain the juice out of the brick, plugged it back in, plugged it into the PC and sure enough full power on the exhaust at start up.

I don't know if this sort of reset the fan regulator or what not.

Upvote 0
Before people go updating their driver/firmware to the latest one (289) just know that I lost my dead zone and linearity setting now by doing so. Also, my rev limiter on the 918 wheel doesn't work in GT6 anymore now. It also says that the driver/firmware 289 is beta in the fanatic wheel properties update page. I will go back to my old driver/firmware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's good to know.

Well the fan is kicking strong at start up now :thumbsup:
I still have to check if its going to kick in when I race but other then that I'm good to go hopefully.

On a side note I do have my dead zone and linearity back now that I have gone back to driver/firmware 261/204. I don't know why those settings would be missing in 289/299 :unsure:

Upvote 0
The fan is back to being dead at boot up. The fan was working fine at full speed after I unplugged the power for a while (like half hour). It would always work perfectly at boot up at full speed, but as soon as I start to play GT6 the wheel would get a little heated like normal I guess, then the fan would kick in and work at a regulated speed but then It would start to act up again. And now the fan is back to dead. What a pain in the ass of a fan..

Upvote 0
I contacted Fanatec yesterday and they responded and I will see if I most likely will be ordering a new fan from them and see if I can install and hopefully it will be solved.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to experience a similar issue where the fan isn't working and the base gets hot after an hr of racing. No ffb loss yet but i'm concerned.

Yeah that's not normal, had the issue before. Could cook a egg on it. Would want to fix that asap! Uninstalling and doing a new firmware update fixed it.

Upvote 0
My rear fan stopped working now after chirping like a cricket, i replaced the fan and at start up it gives a half hearted attempt to spin but stops and never gives an actual spin, haven't tried a full run to see if it will kick in when hot but im doubtful.
Tried about 5 different drivers and firmware s but nothing works at start up!

Upvote 0
After getting a $240 bill from Fanatec to replace my motor, main board and fans on my CSW V2, I decided to open my base and rerouted my fans to an external fan controller. Guess what?

They both work perfectly. No humming. No buzzing, No chirping. The fans just work. While trying to diagnose the issue, I noticed some capacitors on the main board that were swollen. I wasn't really alarmed because I have no other issue with the base other the fans not working. I tried to trace the lines but i'm not really versed in circuit design to determine if the swollen caps have anything to do with the fans not being supplied power.

The plan now is to order the $50 new main board for the CSW V2.5 in hopes of being better than that on V2. I'll keep everyone posted.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back