Fanatec CSL DD v wait for Thrustmaster

With supply issues and being the only product in the ''cheap direct drive" market, Fanatec seem to have a bit of an arrogant attitude with customers at the moment

You will wait as long as it takes my son, wait or sod off !

Seems to be more availability of the PS5 version, the Gran Turismo DD Pro. Given how hard it is to get a PS5 and given it costs pretty much twice as much as a PS5 console, i think they have overestimated how popular that will be.

PC users however, the CSL DD is quite rightly very popular. Fanatec seem to be playing preorder games to ensure people buy the 8nm version . the power pack is probably where they make the most money.

Any PC only users bought the GT DD Pro ?

Anyway, hopefully Thrustmaster can bring some competition to the game

I'm personally waiting for TM because even though the CSL DD is quite the price leader right now, it is hella expensive outside the anglosphere and I'm in Asia so customer support is non-existent. My other option will be simagic which is PC-only.
So having owned a few thrustmaster products and some of them broke, I do not like Thrustmaster, but I do not have any other options. I think the TM DD wheel will be the only DD wheel I'll be able to afford.

But if you are working with a tight budget, I suggest waiting a little if you already have a decent belt-drive wheel. I'll be rocking my T300RS+TLCM for another year.

I would definitely wait to see what Thrustmaster comes out with, as their offering might be the same price or even cheaper but possibly with better specs

If you're not in a hurry, I'd say wait and see what TM bring to the table. Fanatec's had to cut corners to get the CSL / GT DD to their current price points, and that's reflected in the number of customer service complaints they've had in recent months. Check their forums and you'll see that they are overwhelmed, with tickets going on for a week or more before ever getting an initial reply. Some of this can be attributed to covid staff shortages, but not all of it.

Bottom line, current "entry-level" gear from Fanatec is great when it works, but there's a very distinct chance that you'll need customer service at some point, and then you'll either need to be very patient, or have a backup wheel to use while you wait for weeks or even longer.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 13.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.1%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 35 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 32 12.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 86 33.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 152 58.2%