Fanatec combo and VR question

Hi all,

My name is Mauricio, I'm from Uruguay (far away) and I'm travelling to US in august, it happens that my wife let me buy some sim gear while in travel, and I'm like "all innnn".

So, I currently have a G27 with the GTEYE mod and an aftermarket wheel, the G27 does work OK, but I would like to get something better.

I was thinking in the Fanatec line up, probably a CSW v2.5, the BMW GT2 wheel and the CS v3 pedals, the thing is, I don't have a sim rig, and I'm going to do one myself with the help of a friend, and as I have really limited space I was thinking in VR (Oculus Rift) because the triple setup will consume too much space in the room and, well, let's say my wife won't be happy... BUT, I currently have a 970 card and I know I won't be able to buy the wheel and pedals, the vr headset and a new GPU, so... Do you think that the 970 could work good enough with VR?? If I have to put some things down I don't care, actually, only being able to put the car details to the maximum just to be able to see the nice car interiors would be enough for me...

Ok, thanks for any help!

my friend is running DK2 on 960,
Thanks for the input, I guess I will be buying the Fanatec combo plus the Rift.

One thing that concerns me a lot is that I don't live in US, and I read too many faulty wheel bases o wheels from fanatec, I guess the logitech reliability is just outstanding... Only If they made a more premium wheel...

Upvote 0
I have one more question, besides the durability concern on the fanatec gear, I'm wondering if anyone ever compared the BMW GT2 wheel and the Porsche 918 rsr wheel?? People keep telling that the BMW rim is too heavy, is this true? Will the FFB be awful with this wheel?? I have a G27 now, and I'm ok with it, but would like a atronger and faster wheel, the G27 is just so heavy to counter steer that most of the times I can't catch the slides...

Hope some more input, thanks.

Upvote 0
Do not buy fanatec and waste your money like I did buy a Thrustmaster PC instead, I'm trying to get a refund for my fanatec
What problems did you have with your fanatec gear? I'm worried about this, but at the same time, I think they do make the "best" gear, just no realiability..

I appreciate your comment.

Edit: Still would like some comment on the GT2 vs 918 wheel, because, while being better options these are the ones I just can't afford... It is supossed to be fixed all problems with the V2.5 wheel base...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't compare the two wheels. But I have the GT2 wheel on a V2 and haven't experienced any trouble. I think the GT2 is good value for money. You can better spend the money for other things. Or you put in some extra money and go for the Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro.

Upvote 0
I can't compare the two wheels. But I have the GT2 wheel on a V2 and haven't experienced any trouble. I think the GT2 is good value for money. You can better spend the money for other things. Or you put in some extra money and go for the Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Pro.

Do you mean about the difference in the wheels? Or you are sugesting go with something cheaper like the P1 wheel and get those super ultra mega racing style pedals??

Upvote 0
I mean the differece between GT2 and Porsche. I am quite happy with the V2 and the V2.5 should even be a little bit better. Just googled the P1 wheel, haven't seen it before.

When you plan to build a solid rig the Heusinkveld Pedals are very very good. But you need a rig that can handle the heavy brake forces. I had the entry Fanatec Pedals before and Heusinkveld are classes better. So it should be better overall combo than V3 Pedals with the pricy Porsche Wheel (but the looks are pretty cool ;) ). But that is just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I mean the differece between GT2 and Porsche. I am quite happy with the V2 and the V2.5 should even be a little bit better. Just googled the P1 wheel, haven't seen it before.

When you plan to build a solid rig the Heusinkveld Pedals are very very good. But you need a rig that can handle the heavy brake forces. I had the entry Fanatec Pedals before and Heusinkveld are classes better. So it should be better overall combo than V3 Pedals with the pricy Porsche Wheel (but the looks are pretty cool ;) ). But that is just my opinion.
Thanks a lot for your input!

I'm planning to buy an Oculus, and the fanatec combo, so I won't be seeing the wheel while I'm playing... I'm probably just getting the V3s, the Heusinkveld look amazing but is just a too steep of a price for the amount of racing I do...
I'm planning to start with iRacing this year, just at least one race a week or something like that, I don't have that much time unfortunately, but I must take advantage of this oportunity because my wife just will let me spend that money :D I don't want her to regret it and stopping me haha

Upvote 0
Hi all,

My name is Mauricio, I'm from Uruguay (far away) and I'm travelling to US in august, it happens that my wife let me buy some sim gear while in travel, and I'm like "all innnn".

So, I currently have a G27 with the GTEYE mod and an aftermarket wheel, the G27 does work OK, but I would like to get something better.

I was thinking in the Fanatec line up, probably a CSW v2.5, the BMW GT2 wheel and the CS v3 pedals, the thing is, I don't have a sim rig, and I'm going to do one myself with the help of a friend, and as I have really limited space I was thinking in VR (Oculus Rift) because the triple setup will consume too much space in the room and, well, let's say my wife won't be happy... BUT, I currently have a 970 card and I know I won't be able to buy the wheel and pedals, the vr headset and a new GPU, so... Do you think that the 970 could work good enough with VR?? If I have to put some things down I don't care, actually, only being able to put the car details to the maximum just to be able to see the nice car interiors would be enough for me...

Ok, thanks for any help!
Have you tried a Vive. I'm really enjoying the extra FOV and extra brightness of mine.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a Vive. I'm really enjoying the extra FOV and extra brightness of mine.
Actually I'm not able to try any of those, just selecting the rift because is cheaper...

I'm still hesitant about the fanatec base, some part of me tells me that the CSL is more than enough and that would allow me to buy the shifter, but, I can't make my mind... My G27 departed already, but I still have like 4 months till I travel to US and to be able to buy the gear...

What would you guys do??
The CSL base + CSP V3 + Shifter SQ + BMW rim or
CSW v2.5 + CSP V3 + BMW rim??

Upvote 0
I have one more question, besides the durability concern on the fanatec gear, I'm wondering if anyone ever compared the BMW GT2 wheel and the Porsche 918 rsr wheel?? People keep telling that the BMW rim is too heavy, is this true? Will the FFB be awful with this wheel?? I have a G27 now, and I'm ok with it, but would like a atronger and faster wheel, the G27 is just so heavy to counter steer that most of the times I can't catch the slides...

Hope some more input, thanks.

Yes the BMW rim is heavy and does dull the FFB fidelity. I compared this against the universal hub using a similar sized rim. I found the difference quite noticeable. It's a shame as the BMW wheel looks and feels great. I'd recommend the universal hub, and pick up a budget rim on eBay.

Upvote 0
Yes the BMW rim is heavy and does dull the FFB fidelity. I compared this against the universal hub using a similar sized rim. I found the difference quite noticeable. It's a shame as the BMW wheel looks and feels great. I'd recommend the universal hub, and pick up a budget rim on eBay.

Are you sure the universal hub has less weight? Wouldn't be better on getting the Porsche rim?? Is almost the same price actually...

Upvote 0
I actually got the same setup recently. Fanatec clubsport V2.5, BMW rim, Clubsport V3 pedals, oculus rift and I got a geforce 1070, I had a 770 so had to get a new card.

The BMW rim is heavy, I was quite surprised by the weight, the BMW wheel alone felt as heavy as the entire fanatec forza CSL wheel I was replacing. I don't really have any reference for any other fanatec wheels but I like the feel of the BMW wheel, it's very sturdy and solid, it's weight doesn't seem to be an issue while racing. Maybe the porsche wheel is lighter and better but the BMW wheel feels good, without having something to reference it against I don't see how you could be disapointed..

Make sure you check your processor is up to VR too, that was the bottleneck in my system once I had the 1070 installed. I had never got around to overclocking the CPU so I was able to do that and get very high settings in AC.

You will need some sort of rig for the fanatec gear, I don't see how temporarily attaching the wheel to a table would work, it's quite powerful and I don't see how any clamp would hold it in place.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's a different league altogether from the gear I replaced.

Upvote 0
I actually got the same setup recently. Fanatec clubsport V2.5, BMW rim, Clubsport V3 pedals, oculus rift and I got a geforce 1070, I had a 770 so had to get a new card.

The BMW rim is heavy, I was quite surprised by the weight, the BMW wheel alone felt as heavy as the entire fanatec forza CSL wheel I was replacing. I don't really have any reference for any other fanatec wheels but I like the feel of the BMW wheel, it's very sturdy and solid, it's weight doesn't seem to be an issue while racing. Maybe the porsche wheel is lighter and better but the BMW wheel feels good, without having something to reference it against I don't see how you could be disapointed..

Make sure you check your processor is up to VR too, that was the bottleneck in my system once I had the 1070 installed. I had never got around to overclocking the CPU so I was able to do that and get very high settings in AC.

You will need some sort of rig for the fanatec gear, I don't see how temporarily attaching the wheel to a table would work, it's quite powerful and I don't see how any clamp would hold it in place.

I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's a different league altogether from the gear I replaced.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I'm planning on building a cockpit myself with the help of a friend that knows how to weld pretty good.

I have i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz right now, and I'm probably buying a new card because my 970 probably won't work as perfect as the new era cards.

Good to know about the bmw wheel, I really like, I guess you can put a little bit of extra force on the base and make it exactly as a lighter wheel, can't you?? Do you use it at 100% in profile and in game??

You upgraded from the CSR?? Was that better than a G27? I'm upgrading from that one...

Upvote 0
Are you sure the universal hub has less weight? Wouldn't be better on getting the Porsche rim?? Is almost the same price actually...

I no longer own this gear so I can't weigh it. As the universal hub weight is more centred compared to the BMW rim I believe that's why the FFB is less affected. I swapped out the wheels on the fly, the same cars/tracks. The difference was very clear between the two. Using the BMW wheel, the overall strength wasn't affected, but it completely muted the feel of the track surface detail coming through to your hands.

I've never used the Porsche rim so can't compare.

Upvote 0
I no longer own this gear so I can't weigh it. As the universal hub weight is more centred compared to the BMW rim I believe that's why the FFB is less affected. I swapped out the wheels on the fly, the same cars/tracks. The difference was very clear between the two. Using the BMW wheel, the overall strength wasn't affected, but it completely muted the feel of the track surface detail coming through to your hands.

I've never used the Porsche rim so can't compare.
I see, so is not a speed thing but more of a little details thing, that's good to know actually.

They have a "bundle" but it comes with the forza wheel rim, I actually don't like it a bit, but it is the cheaper option to have that wheel rim.

Realistically, do you people think the shifter is worth the money? Part of me says, save the 200 but the other want to drive lets say the 787b with a proper shifter... The forza package contains it all

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years