Fanatec ClubSport Wheel review

A few weeks ago I was sent a full Clubsport Wheel set up by the folks at Fanatec for review and, after putting in a decent amount of mileage over the last couple of weeks, here’s what I think...

I’m familiar with Fanatec products having been one of the first to order the Porsche Turbo wheel and Clubsport pedals a few years back. About 6 months ago I bought a Thrustmaster T500 wheel which I felt was a massive step up in feel and performance from my old Fanatec wheel. So I’m keen to answer a question that I see asked a lot – how does the CSW compare to the T500?

There is a big price difference between the two. You can pick up a T500 for almost half the price of a CSW base with GT rim. But in my case, and many others, I’m not using the standard T500 pedals because I decided to stick with my trusty old CSP v1, and I’m using a custom RenaultSport rim. So effectively I bought a wheel base for more or less the same price as the CSW base. I also have the F1 rim which has been modded with an SLI display and working dials, and costs a bit more than the Fanatec Formula rim.

The fun starts with the packaging...

[gallery columns="4" ids="25517,25518,25519,25520"]

My first reaction when I pulled the base unit out of the box was OMG what a beautiful looking piece of equipment. Smaller and sleeker than I expected, with the clear plastic panel on top acting as a window into the impressive looking internal mechanisms of the wheel. I looked at my T500...German engineering vs French engineering...This is Audi vs Renault... but as a Clio 182 owner I know it’s not all about the looks!

Mounting the base to my GTOmega wheel stand was fiddly but once attached feels rock solid.

Next I went for the BMW GT2 wheel. Even before I got it out of the black sack it comes in I was surprised at how heavy it was. The design and finish are immaculate. The alcantara so smooth to touch you just want to keep stroking the wheel. On the front you have 11 multi coloured buttons, 2 joysticks, rev light indicator and a 3 digit LED display. On the back are 2 good sized paddle shifters and the quick release system. The shifters have a positive feel to them. The length of the throw is adjustable but I like the default setting. I’ve never really used the Thrustmaster paddle shifters (apart from assigning them to look left/ right) and use a sequential shifter with the RenaultSport wheel but it’s nice to have the option to use decent paddles again.

Even the plastic on the back of the wheel feels like quality. The quick release, as you would expect, allows you to quickly change between the 2 wheels in a matter of seconds. The T500 is more of a slow release system but not a deal breaker as I don’t find myself swapping rims too often.

The Formula wheel is obviously much smaller and lighter than the GT2 wheel, but matches it for style and functionality, with alcantara grips and the same amount of buttons and joysticks as the bigger wheel. The rev light indicator is larger and more prominent. The paddles are much smaller and, before trying the wheel properly, seemed to me to be in the wrong position (although fully adjustable), however having spent time with the wheel I now really like their position.

The start up procedure on the CSW is slow and smooth compared to the violent, and almost dangerous ferocity of the T500. The LED displays the driver version on start-up. And then once the wheel has started – silence (or near enough to my deaf dj ears). Even after a long session the fans in the wheel base are significantly quieter than the T500.

To test the wheel I decided to mainly stick to a couple of vehicles that I have a lot of seat time in. For the BMW wheel I went with the Clio in rF2, and for the Formula wheel the Star Mazda in iRacing.

Now for the tricky bit, because I think force feedback is such a subjective feeling, but what I’m looking for in a wheel is to get as close to the real thing as possible, and during last week’s RDWRS race in the Clio at Croft, after about 3 quarters of the race, I suddenly became aware of how natural the driving felt. The feedback is smooth and consistent. Because of the strength of the feedback there isn’t the need to crank up the levels which, as with audio, leads to less unwanted clipping and better overall definition. I run at around 70% FFB in sim as I did with the T500. At first the wheel felt a little too heavy or damped, but after setting the drift mode to 1 the wheel became a lot more responsive.

Which brings me neatly to a feature that I have sorely missed since moving to Thrustmaster – the on wheel settings. Next to the LED display is a barely visible button that gives you access to the settings mode, where you can store up to 5 profiles. A whole host of options are available to tweak including the feedback, vibration and, most useful, the degrees of rotation for the wheel. The ability to change profiles on the fly when you are switching between the different rims or cars is great.

The feedback sensation, as expected, is very different with the Formula wheel. Quicker and more responsive, I can feel the rear tyres of the Star Mazda losing grip and make fast and accurate adjustments to catch a slide. And it’s with the Formula wheel that I really feel the biggest difference between the CSW and Thrustmaster. The Fanatec version once again oozes class and just feels so good in your hands while driving. The feedback in the Thrustmaster F1 rim also feels good while driving but the paddles are not in the same league and it’s hard to get away from that slightly plastic feeling. The NKK buttons I have had fitted to my F1 wheel feel more solid but the loud clicking annoys the Mrs!

Is it a better driving experience than the T500? The feedback for me is better, perhaps more natural feeling, but certainly nothing like the difference I felt moving from the PWTS to T500. In some sims on the straights I can feel some weirdness in the feedback and at other times a deadzone but it is negligible and improved when I updated the drivers recently. But the overall experience sat at the wheel is extremely satisfying. The quality of the components is immediately apparent, especially when comparing the Formula wheels. And I’ve definitely been more consistent recently but I think that could be down to the CSP v2 pedals (review coming very soon).

Where the T500 does have an advantage is the ability to use the wheel rim of your choice and there are a lot of excellent modded wheels made by the community for Thrustmaster and Logitech wheels. Hopefully one of the clever buggers out there can work out a solution but in the mean time the two options offered by Fanatec are definitely good enough and generic enough to cover most car classes, and they have said there will be more options to come.

So I think my initial impression stands. If your budget is smaller then go for the T500. Like my Clio 182 it is great fun, an excellent drive, real value for money (especially with the pedals included), and the plastic vibrates when you go fast! But if you’ve got the dosh then perhaps Sir would like to consider an Audi/BMW/Porsche? More power than you could need but refined, classy, less plastic, more brushed metal.

View the Post on the Blog

santa_hacked.gif

Upvote 0
as a CSW owner who upgraded from a heavily modded G27 I have to agree with all points on this review. It's a quality piece of kit and makes my old G27 and a friends T500 that i've played with both feel like a child's plaything by comparison. Yes, it's crazy expensive. It took me a looooooong time to save for but by god it was worth the wait and every penny. I couldn't be happier :)

Upvote 0
Im on my second G27 atm. first one broke within 6 months. still quite pleased with it tbh. But once i have some cash to spare, im deff going to upgrade my pedal set.. G27 pedals are ok for starters, but i need something with a higher resolution. these are way to short for my taste. Im on a tight budget though, so no vacation for me this summer and i might be able to get myself some gear .. But the awesome toys in this review are not within my budget im affraid :(

nice review btw lucky bastard!

Upvote 0
"Mounting the base to my GTOmega wheel stand was fiddly but once attached feels rock solid."

From what I have read, I assume the template for hard mounting is identical to the GT3RS, ie. the bolt holes are in the same place. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
Nice review and thanks for the comparison with the T500. I allmost bought the CSW with the two rims coming at 800 euro's. What truly strikes me is that i only get 1 year warranty and that i have to pay the shipment costs. Now Fanatec is promoting their Repair and Maintenance Service pack which I do not understand. I do understand that they want to make money but with this pack they are actually shouting to the world: we do not believe in the technical quality of our products. I have lost my faith in Fanatec.

Upvote 0
I have the CSW after going from the Elite. I couldn't live with the Elite rim.
It's absolutely brilliant. I did have a dodgy FFB motor so Fanatec sent me a new one (FFB motor that is) which was easy to replace and away I went, very happy.
Can't fault the thing at all and it feels superb.

Upvote 0
"Mounting the base to my GTOmega wheel stand was fiddly but once attached feels rock solid."

From what I have read, I assume the template for hard mounting is identical to the GT3RS, ie. the bolt holes are in the same place. Is this correct?
I think so. I'm not sure whether the wheel stand or the wheel base has a hole slightly out of place but I only managed to screw in 3 of the 4 screws. Seems very stable though.

Upvote 0
Nice review and thanks for the comparison with the T500. I allmost bought the CSW with the two rims coming at 800 euro's. What truly strikes me is that i only get 1 year warranty and that i have to pay the shipment costs. Now Fanatec is promoting their Repair and Maintenance Service pack which I do not understand. I do understand that they want to make money but with this pack they are actually shouting to the world: we do not believe in the technical quality of our products. I have lost my faith in Fanatec.
I'm not really sure about the service pack details but the terms & conditions on the Fanatec site still show a 2 year guarantee on their products.
My PWTS died fairly quickly but Fanatec replaced it immediately. It was one of the very first made and I think if you are an early adoptor then you have to be prepared for that kind of thing.

Upvote 0
One thing I didn't mention in the review is how great the CSW feels in the AC demo. I've been paying close attention to what I feel through the steering wheel in my 182 and it is really close to the feedback I'm getting in AC. I've been so used to the wheels rattling and jerking about with every bump that at first it felt too smooth, but even with the stiff suspension on the car, and all the speed bumps and pot holes in east London, I don't feel that in real life.

And so to the next project...tactile feedback under my derriere to feel those bumps :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review Anthony, it's one of many that Ive read in the past weeks regarding Fanatec's CSW kit, one thing I have noticed in some of the early reviews was complaints regarding some aspects of the CSW kit, but Im glad to say it clearly looks as though Fanatec resolved all issues prior to their full production release.
I should be recieving my CSW base and rims within a few days, must say after all the good reviews Ive read I cant wait.
For all those that say they could never afford this Fanatec CSW gear, I said the same years ago when looking $399AUD for the G25 when it first released, so dont give up and remember nothing is impossible if you try.

Upvote 0
How would you compare T500 with CSW in terms of "speed"? Does T500 feel lighter? I have to use drift mode 4 on GT3RS because otherwise the wheel is slow and so solid that it literally kills FFB.
I would say the T500 feels a bit lighter especially comparing the GT rims. The BMW rim is considerably heavier than my Renaultsport wheel and I'm sure that affects the FFB and "speed".
After setting the drift mode to 1 I really like the speed with which the wheel centres itself.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 295 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years