Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals Brake Shock Replacement

HUM24H

Godspeed
Hi All,

There are many threads on the internet regarding a shock replacement for the Fanatec Clubsport V2 Pedals Brake but I wanted to post what I did. Hopefully you guys find this useful :)

Here is a link to the Shock's:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331163869991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The shock I bought is a non branded shock from eBay which is called Big Foot and it is 120mm from Centre hole to Centre hole which is the perfect size to fit the Clubsport Pedals. For those who can't get this Shock; the Spring itself is 65mm in length, 25mm in width and the thickness of the spring is around 2/3mm (ish :p) If you buy this set you get 2 Shock's which for me is great as I can have one set with Medium to High Tension for Race Cars and one set with Medium to Low Tension for Road Cars but even if you have the tension at it's lowest setting on these shocks it has a lot more tension than the standard Fanatec Shock plus this shock allows for much better modulation with a better rebound when coming off the brake and the it has a fluid motion when pressing the brake pedal in with a nice progressive feel when you brake harder. At the moment I havent managed to take these apart to see what Shock Oil is used inside, if any, but they feel fantastic either way.

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

Now you will notice that I have not inserted the securing pin at the rear of the shock, the reason for this is; a) The thickness of the end piece won't allow me to put the securing pin in and b) there is no need as the shock stays in place without it.

#4.jpg

#3.jpg

Here is a picture of the Shock's next to the standard Shock supplied by Fanatec:
#5.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I missed your post yenclas, Did you manage to find some pictures of how we mount it ? You can actually do it either way if you please, Ive had a few guys mount them opposite of how i do mine and no issues.

As far as how much oil, You want to have the Shock AS full as possible with No air, Yes sounds tricky and might take a few times but Keep at it and you'll get it. If you can feel Air in the shock, Start over, DONT pump the shock a bunch or you will form 1000's of bubble's which just takes longer to settle, Unscrew the cap, Let the bubbles settle, Add some more oil and try again.

Hi Moxley6969,

At the moment I fill entire damper of Mugen shock with fanatec stock oil. Here are one pic that shows how I mount it.

2jcsfab.jpg

Is it correct ?

Feels good !

Upvote 0
Yup that'll work yenclas, Enjoy.

If you want a stiffer initial press on the pedal, Crank down that Spring collar, The stock Mugen spring is actually rather stiff when you pre load it up.

Upvote 0
Believe it or not there is actually a "correct" way of filling rc shocks. Just "search" it out on youtube. It all comes down to getting ALL air out of shock or you will have inconsistent results. It's that simple. Only thing left to do after that is choosing wt. oil & spring tension.

Upvote 0
I ONLY suggest using the Mugen's as i know they bolt on 99% of the time with Next to Zero Mods....The difference between Fronts and rears are overall length in the Shock body and the Shaft length. Rear's are what you need. Ebay is your friend in this situation.

Looking at your links, I DO not suggest any of those shocks. Most of those wont be much better than the stock units (will be somewhat as the Stock unit is a real POS) But overall I dont like the look of those you linked. They are off Cheap RTR cars, and none of them linked will mount as easily, You'll need to make a stand off of sorts to match the Bolt diameter from the Original car. Mugen just strait up works.

here ya go, Found something in your neck of the woods(I think at least)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mugen-1-8-MB...Piston-16mm-/371200270250?hash=item566d429faa

Upvote 0
I ONLY suggest using the Mugen's as i know they bolt on 99% of the time with Next to Zero Mods....The difference between Fronts and rears are overall length in the Shock body and the Shaft length. Rear's are what you need. Ebay is your friend in this situation.

Looking at your links, I DO not suggest any of those shocks. Most of those wont be much better than the stock units (will be somewhat as the Stock unit is a real POS) But overall I dont like the look of those you linked. They are off Cheap RTR cars, and none of them linked will mount as easily, You'll need to make a stand off of sorts to match the Bolt diameter from the Original car. Mugen just strait up works.

here ya go, Found something in your neck of the woods(I think at least)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mugen-1-8-MB...Piston-16mm-/371200270250?hash=item566d429faa

Ahh thanks for the help mate...well, I guess I messed up.I was trying to find these but the size of 86mm put me off as I thought 125mm is what i need so didn't order. As I couldn't find any 125mm Mugens. I ended up ordering these 30min ago - http://www.ebay.de/itm/BS502-003-HI...25mm-Blau-2-/361222927210?hash=item541a90736a

my card got charged so i guess will have to see if they work :/

Upvote 0
Those wont be a bolt on, that's for sure. Contact ebay, and say you screwed up and cancel the order. There are usually pretty receptive to that kinda stuff. We all make mistakes. :ninja:

PS is the ebay link i sent no good ?

Upvote 0
Those wont be a bolt on, that's for sure. Contact ebay, and say you screwed up and cancel the order. There are usually pretty receptive to that kinda stuff. We all make mistakes. :ninja:

PS is the ebay link i sent no good ?

I ordered from amazon..the link you sent was good, I just wish I knew they would fit earlier. I saw them but the size given was 86mm so this is why I didn't purchase them as the size i thought was needed was 120-125mm
Why do you think the blue ones will not fit, is the size wrong?

Upvote 0
The mugen cap with the Plastic insert is the EXACT right size to fit on the larger of the 2 stand offs on the pedals (the one closer to the back of the pedals), you will more than likely need to modify the one's you ordered to fit over that stand off, The bottom of the shocks you got will likely fit, IF the car they are off of uses a 3mm screw which is most likely does, but no guarantee. Also they are an off brand that im not familiar with. Mugen is one of the Major player's in the 1/8 offroad game and I KNOW for a fact its a quality unit.

Where are you getting the 86mm from ? Mugens are Not 86mm, not even the front's....so im rather confused there. Actually i went down to my shop and i have the Compressed and Fully extended length of the shocks marked down on a piece of paper, the 86mm is the Fully compressed length of the shock, Fully extended they are 126mm +/- a few mm from the MBX6 to MBX7 which is the Only difference between the 2.

Actually looking at the ones you go, they aren't any Name brand at all, Just another cheap aftermarket shock some guys buy "thinking" they are better than what they got. (typical RTR mentality in RC racing)

Look UP at yenclas pics, should help understand what im saying with the stand offs....Also rather confusing as to why you would question them fitting or not when there's a picture of one mounted 2 posts above your post you initially made.

either way lesson learned to NOT press "BUY IT NOW" until you've gotten a solid answer from the guys in the know. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Also one more thing, I have NO idea the "weight" of the spring your getting, so it might be Overly Soft and be no where close to what The mugen spring's are rated for. Its someting you'll have to feel for yourself and be the judge.

Upvote 0
The Pedal has 2 pivot points Top and bottom, you can only adjust the top pivot, there's a Set screw/Grub screw hidden on the bottom side of the Pivot block, Loosening the screw will allow the Shaft to be removed and raised/lowered a hole.

Upvote 0
Good Find Humzah, but it appears that bigfoot Shock is a No name Knock off sub par quality shock that isn't much better than the stock Fana shock. Simple anodized bodies dont last that long and will eventually start to leak like the stock shock does. I Personally suggest spending a few more $$ on a quality 1/8 RACE branded shock, For Instance the Mugen MBX7 Rear shocks. They are 100X better quality than the stock Shock and are available on Ebay for Significantly cheaper than you would think. You also buy in pairs so you have a spare for a fellow sim racing buddy or a spare you can try different oil combo's in for a different feel. The Mugen's are also Hard coated and Wont be wearing out any time soon.

Next would be the importance of braking distance, The Stock Hole the brake is located in is Ok i guess but if you really want to make the brake pedal feel like a real Pedal, Move up the axle 1 hole, Your brake pedal will feel 10000X better.

I found the Mugen 1/8 MBX7R, 86mm Rear Shocks (Damper Piston 16mm) on eBay. I am interested but I was wondering what weight oil you are using or suggest. I do know it is a matter of preference but I would like a good starting point. I believe the stock oil from Fanatec is either 800 or 1200. Pretty sure I am currently using 800. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Sorry, can anyone who's bought a shock lately give me a pointer as to the correct model? I've found a couple :

Mugen 1/8 MBX7TR Eco Truggy * REAR SHOCKS * Springs Body Cap Boot Shaft Damper

and

MUGEN 1/8 MBX7R 86mm REAR SHOCKS SPRINGS SHAFTS & BOOTS Damper Piston 16mm

I've seen some people mention a shock that doesn't require grinding down the stock mount - that would be my preference for resale purposes.

Also is the spring that comes with the shock a good tension for the pedals or should I look into replacing that too?

Many thanks to anyone who can lend a little guidance.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Both will work as they are both rears, The difference between the MBX6 (discontinued) shocks and the MBX7's are the overall body diameter which was increased from 15mm to 16mm, While not that big of deal, It does pose a problem on some sets of pedals i have installed the shocks on, Some clear, some need to have a little grinding done.

If a 2nd hand buyer has a problem with that, they obviously don't understand how Poor the stock shock really is and don't deserve such an awesome feeling brake pedal in the first place.

The Black box on the brake pedal is a Simple Block of aluminum, So your not going to hurt anything by doing this.

I would suggest trying the Stock spring with 100% preload first before sourcing a new Stiffer Kyosho spring if you want.

Upvote 0
Brilliant!

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not super worried about modding - I resell almost none of my gear, but I just thought if there was an easy way to avoid it, why not go that route.

I'll grab these and have a go.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply.

Upvote 0
Check out a local hobby/model shop as they are all just shocks for model RC cars.
Main problem with mugan shocks is you have to fully assemble them, they do not come pre built.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 378 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years