Resource icon

Cars F1GP (MicroProse, MSDOS, 1991) remake! 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content

Niels_at_home

Reiza Studios
Niels_at_home submitted a new resource:

F1GP (MicroProse, MSDOS, 1991) remake! - The 30 year old sim, faithfully recreated visually, audibly and physically, in AMS!

Big thanks to Whills ( https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/authors/whills.783501/ ) for the base mod and intro video and more!

In 1991, Geoff Crammond raised the bar for PC race simulation with the release of Formula One Grand Prix.

In 2021 I decided to 'have some fun' trying to recreate the very distinct feel of the game into AMS1. To my surprise, not only the car performance could be copied almost 1:1, the 'feel' of the steering and the AI racing also really does...

Read more about this resource...

The mod is great, I love it! It's so fun! The only problem is that I don't see my front tyres. What could cause this problem?

Last edited:
I have a problem, my wheels don't load.

IMG_20220726_014507.jpg

Niels_at_home updated F1GP (MicroProse, MSDOS, 1991) remake! with a new update entry:

Version 1.1, the actually correct version

Oops, version 1.1 info:

Actually the correct version of the mod this time, a standalone F1GP remake mod, not 'just the 1991 part of Whills amazing GP evolution mod!'

Toggle visisble tires in the gamedata/vehicles/F1GP_RM/F1GP_Cockpitinfo.ini with this line:
FrontWheelsInCockpit=1

Reinstall the GP Evolution mod if you wish to restore that to the intended behavior.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Love it. I cant believe how much im playing this! Does anyone know where i can get the F1 GP Phoenix USA street track that was in this game? I remember playing that one over and over again but i cant find anything in my net searching?

Had a quick go tonight, but not for a really long time. I did play some gp1 in the last year, so I have some recentish experience. I think there are two big differences to overcome in adapting fully (using keyboard in both):
1. Framerates above 25fps threw me a bit.
2. Realistic track models really threw me a bit. For example, Imola feels much tighter in AMS than in GP1. He kerbs seem much more brutal, Minerale feels tighter, Variante Alfa feels tighter. Especially when combined with higher framerates that seduce me into going a bit harder.

I think I need to see if I have an old setup info around to copy from, and then get some practice in before really comparing it. It feels close, if nothing else.

Love it. I cant believe how much im playing this! Does anyone know where i can get the F1 GP Phoenix USA street track that was in this game? I remember playing that one over and over again but i cant find anything in my net searching?
This was my favourite track too, back in the Microprose F1GP days. I have an old copy of NerickSenna's version (link down below), and a long time ago he gave me permission to convert it to AMS. The textures are outdated and I replaced many of them, improving them only slightly within my limited capability, but still they are not of today's standard (Hope Nerick doesn't mind me saying that, it was nevertheless a work of art).
Also, it was extremely bumpy (I should add, it was never so bumpy in Nerick's original version, it was spot on - was that on rfactor? I can't remember now, but somehow the conversion to AMS increased some of the bumps in the road surface), but I did manage to lower one or two manholes & other patches and made it drivable. It's still a bit bumpy but honestly, it conveys the nature of the street track, & when I fire up the old AMS with the VR mod, I still go back to this track quite often. It's my all time favourite, playability & atmosphere over modern graphics for me every time.
Long story short, if you want to give it a try, here's a link. Sorry it's a bit big (400mb+) - it still has the older original mas file (200mb) that I was loathe to delete, as well as my amended one.

EDIT yes, just fired up AMS and tested it with my 1988 cars and it is still working, makes me want to start a Formula classic season all over again :)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea