F1: Wehrlein in at Sauber?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sauber F1 Team to sign PW.jpg

Several media outlets are claiming the Sauber team are close to securing the signature of Mercedes AMG Junior Driver Pascal Wehrlein for the 2017 season, bringing the Formula One silly season one step closer to its conclusion ahead of pre season testing at Barcelona in February.

As has been widely reported in recent weeks, Mercedes have been looking to replace their outgoing World Champion Nico Rosberg next season, with both junior driver Wehrlein and Williams Grand Prix driver Valtteri Bottas seen as the front runners for the vacant seat alongside Lewis Hamilton in the all conquering Silver Arrows. With strong rumours suggesting Bottas is a shoe in for the drive, it appears that Sauber have been quick to pick up the pieces and secure the signature of the highly rated German driver Wehrlein from his outgoing team Manor. Already having confirmed current driver Marcus Errikson for next year, the move for Wehrlein seems to have left Filipe Nasr without a drive for the coming season unless a spot at Manor can be found in the remaining weeks of the off season. With Manor currently locked in takeover talks and a fluid driver situation adding to the uncertainty, it remains to be seen what the little British team can produce in what will be their eighth season of Grand Prix racing.

Meanwhile should the Bottas move to Mercedes go through, it is expected that Brazilian race winner Filipe Massa will postpone his retirement plans for at least another season as he looks to help provide stability to the Williams team in light of the major regulation changes due to take place in 2017.

The final pieces of the 2017 driver market jigsaw all but in place, its just a case of waiting for the announcement...

The RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum is the place to go for all the latest news and discussions regarding the pinnacle of open wheel motorsport. Head over to the sub forum now and join in the discussion with your fellow fans as we wait out the long off season prior to the green light at Melbourne in March.

Do you think Wehrlein is a good signing for Sauber? Does being overlooked for the second Mercedes drive hurt his long term career prospects? Let us know in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Very interesting move, but I guess Mercedes wasn't happening since Bottas is the rumored pick. He did visit the Merc factory so it should be all but confirmed at this point.

I haven't followed F1 too closely over the past few years ago so I'm not sure where Sauber stands financially. I know the tech of their car has been uninspiring over the past few years. Should be interesting to see what he's able to do with the car.

Stupid decision by him I have to say considering Sauber has no money to upgrade the car and even the engine. He also loses his contact with Mercedes. A good thing I have to mention is that he can better drive at the worst car of the grid than not to drive. Youngsters need experience and a year without driving only hampers his growth as a driver himself.

I believe Nasr should've stayed at Sauber with Wehrlein. I'm not a fan of Ericsson at all. He's only there because he's a pay driver whose sponsors bring good money.

Stupid decision by him I have to say considering Sauber has no money to upgrade the car and even the engine. He also loses his contact with Mercedes. A good thing I have to mention is that he can better drive at the worst car of the grid than not to drive. Youngsters need experience and a year without driving only hampers his growth as a driver himself.
Had a nice sleep under that rock over the last 6 months (or so)?

I believe Nasr should've stayed at Sauber with Wehrlein. I'm not a fan of Ericsson at all. He's only there because he's a pay driver whose sponsors bring good money.
should've and should've. The paydriver Nasr dont have any sponsormoney to bring to the team, and with the lack of talent on top of that... But yeah, he should've..........

besides the fluke points in brazil, where exactly?
Eriscson finished and qualified slightly better in 2016. But Nasr scored 2 points.

And also: in 2015 the tables were turned. Nasr qualified and finished better plus scored most points.

So even when Ericson was the better qualifyer and finisher in 2016: Nasr scored the points and thus was financially the most valuable driver.

I believe it's already been confirmed, no?

Even Autosport's article are referring to "sources with knowledge" and "final details are still to be finalized". I am still hoping it won't happen! :p

So even when Ericson was the better qualifyer and finisher in 2016: Nasr scored the points and thus was financially the most valuable driver.

In terms of prize money, yes. But it was Ericssons backers who bought the team. That's more valuable than 2 points!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back