F1 Tyre Testing Kicks off in Abu Dhabi

I think more downforce is a mistake. A big mistake.

Downforce kills racing, it's been proven time and time again so why on earth they decided to do it in Formula One I have no idea at all. They had to introduce stupid DRS to combat the lack of overtaking (another mistake imho) and now they go do the one thing that pretty much kills the ability to run in close proximity to other cars.

I'm probably over simplifying things too much, but for me the solution really is simply. Dramatically reduce downforce so the cars have something like 80% mechanical grip / 20% aero. Pump up the power so power delivery outweighs grip and ensure (however that is possible) that the cars understeer so using throttle control (i.e. sideways) is the best way to get round the corners. This way the cars will look spectacular out on track (sideways action not running on rails like they do now and increased chances of driver error), and the cars will be able to circulate close together as the "dirty air" wont have such a negative affect on the following car.

Add to this a move away from those lousy new tracks with crap layouts and zero fans, and hey presto, suddenly Formula One is worth watching again!

Oh yeah and bring back decent engine rules, so we have noise and variety once again. For me, Formula One isn't a green sport, nor is it a test bed for manufacturers to make road relevant technology. That's what WEC is for. Formula One should be the best, most spectacular form of motor racing in the world. In all my years of motorsport experience, that usually means burning a colossal amount of fossil fuel in an attempt to circulate a track quicker than you rivals. Not develop new technologies and pander to fly by night manufacturers and their needs (because lets be honest, does a factory entered Renault look any better than a privateer Williams on track? No, it doesn't).

Rant over :D

Have to say you just wrote exactly what I was about to write.

Bernie and few other idiots equate lap time with excitement. "Ooooh, the 2017 cars will have even faster lap times than the 2016 cars. That's what fans want is more speed." Sorry, but a few percentage decrease (or increase) in lap times is utterly irrelevant to the quality or the thrills of the racing. Even more grip and aero combination will just exacerbate the problems with current F1.

What they were supposed to do was increase mechanical grip only, so that a higher percentage of total grip is from mechanical grip relative to before. Instead, they also increased aerodynamic grip. So basically the cars will be faster but the mechanical-grip-to-aero-grip ratio will be un-changed (or thereabouts) from recent years :mad:

What they need to do is massively increase mechanical grip while massively decreasing aero grip so that the total grip ratio is way more in mechanical grip's favor but then again I'm just an idiot, so are the rest of us saying the same, and the guys making the F1 rule changes are all genius'.

monster-truck-7.jpg

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton pulled out of the Pirelli F1 test in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday after feeling unwell

stuff.
Whenever i see that headline I always think of Jeffrey Bernard's column in The Spectator. when he was too drunk to type.

edited for working memory

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back