F1 TV coverage in North America

We fans of F1 here in North America really do get the short end of the stick when it comes to TV coverage. But I guess beggars can't be too choosy. Here in Canada I usually have two options to watch the race.

1) Speed TV

2) TSN which carries the BBC feed of the race.

Speed TV usually gives us a 30 minute pre-race show (not bad, we don't really need more), then Speed TV gives us the race. It's the post race where Speed TV does us a disservice. Most of the time Speed TV does show the podium celebration and does show the driver interviews. But Speed TV has been known to cut away immediately after the race ends to bring us their 4 hour NASCAR pre-race show.

My other option is TSN (which is Canada's version of ESPN). TSN has no pre-race show, they cut immediately to the BBC race footage moments before the race starts, and then for the post race you are lucky if they show the podium celebration and interviews before TSN drops the BBC feed in favor of some baseball coverage, or whatever other sports highlight TSN wants to show.

I only bring this up because I just finished watching the BBC's entire footage (from a download) of the 2010 European Grand Prix from Valencia where Webber flipped his car after hitting Kovalainen and the post race show from this race was funny as hell. If it wasn't for this download I never would have seen the exchanges between Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard concerning who was at fault for Webber's flip (Coulthard giving you the driver's perspective, Jordan giving you the team owner's perspective ... both of which had valid arguments for their side of the story) and the really funny part was when they were interviewing Christian Horner after the race. Jordan comments to Horner "I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you" and Horner's response to Jordan was "Eddie I often disagree with your choice of shirts that you wear" and Eddie is silent. LOL

It was a classic ...
beerchug.gif

As I said, beggars can't be choosy, I do have two options to watch the races. But we here in North America really do get screwed over from some of the good post race footage our British counterparts likely take for granted.

I was in your same spot. I only has Speed, then the cable company dropped the channel, and was left to wair fot the race to come out on the web and download it. Now I watch it live through the BBC website. How since I don't live in GBR? Get a VPN account that changes your IP to one in GBR and you can watch from anywhere the BBC feed.

Living in the USA, I do feel cheated concerning F1 coverage. I understand your pain. I watch all the events on Speed TV. It was only last year that Speed finally started showing F1 in HD in our area! Besides the lack of true full coverage, my biggest complaint is that the 3 main commentators are sitting in a studio in the US watching live feeds. I like the commentators but I'd rather have more coverage from the event location. A 4th presenter is live on location but he doesn't do much besides get a few interviews and make a few race comments. Speed TV obviously is not willing to foot the bill to have commentators travel with the F1 circus around the world. Well, I volunteer my sevices. My passport is ready and I have shots for pretty much anywhere on the planet! Guess I'll have to start looking for BBC downloads too.

It was only last year that Speed finally started showing F1 in HD in our area!

BBC didn't have HD coverage until the start of this season. :wink:

Hi guys, the F1 events are usually on the BBC iplayer within a couple hours of it finishing.
You can get all 3 practice sessions, qualifying and race.
Its separate to the actual BBC website, so don't go through there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/categories/sport

I think you only get 7-10 days to watch it though before it gets removed.

Hope it helps

CJ

Programs on the BBC iPlayer are only available to those who live in the UK :wink:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back