F1 teams to form breakaway series

I read this on fok what ferrari should do if they HAVE to join:
Step 1: Change the name of the team so FIA can't use it, and it won't damage Ferrari
Step 2: Build a car that meets the requirements but nothing more, so what if you drive at the back?
Step 3: Getting drivers with super license who're cheap. Riccardo Rosset and Taki Inoue-like drivers
Step 4: A lot of sponsoring for FOTA on the cars
Step 5: Mention in every interview you'd rather drive in FOTA championship.
Step 6: Don't subscribe every season again. Until 2012 when you leave fully.

rosberg for f1 world champion! :D

So true but when Ferrari, McLaren, Renault and the rest are not there, it is not what he wants. It's like a league race here, your 12th in the grid and everybody else gets disconnected... not much of a win..

I don't think that FIA has any saying that the current F1 tracks won't be in the calendar of the new series. The tracks are businesses of their own and can host any race they want. FIA have just booked precise days to have their races. So the breakaway series can race anywhere they want. And when you look at the quality of teams envolved, the tracks will make them selves available in any case. If FIA has a contract that dictates the week they want to race on the track it leaves 51 weeks to race other leagues..

Anyway, the Formula1 has a image, a legacy that cannot be fulfilled what ever the new league will be. This is just temporary, if the new series is succesful the F1 brand will move to it. If it is not then everybody have to go back with tails between their legs...

EDIT: And the tracks. Why not Donington AND Silverstone? There's no rules at the moment so more than one race per country is possible. Nurnburg (not nords, no driver would drive a F1 equivalent there, come on be reasonable (((stupidstupid idea)))) AND Hocke coud be in the calendar. Estoril, yeah, would like to see it and i just hope they bury those "modern" thilketracks.. (or whatever is the correct spelling) they are BOOOOOOORRRRIIIIINNGG... Istanbul is the only one that has any challenge to drive. All those mid-east tracks are just so artificial, straight-turn-straight-turn.. That is not how tracks should be. Give us sweeping bends, offcamber and blind corners at full speed.. Those are the elements you find when you build a track in the surroundings not the other way around.

• Skylinr

I read this on fok what ferrari should do if they HAVE to join:
Step 1: Change the name of the team so FIA can't use it, and it won't damage Ferrari
Step 2: Build a car that meets the requirements but nothing more, so what if you drive at the back?
Step 3: Getting drivers with super license who're cheap. Riccardo Rosset and Taki Inoue-like drivers
Step 4: A lot of sponsoring for FOTA on the cars
Step 5: Mention in every interview you'd rather drive in FOTA championship.
Step 6: Don't subscribe every season again. Until 2012 when you leave fully.

I was thinking of something along this lines when I heard about the legal complications.

But instead of sponsoring FOTA on the cars, Ferrari can create another team which isn't officially them but which they are actually pulling the strings. Sort of indirectly competing. And they can say they lost Massa and Raikkonen to this new team because the budget cap didn't allow for paying them. :victory:

10. GP of Europe - Silverstone

:no:

I think 3-man teams could be interesting, but I am for the "the more teams the better " approach. Maybe the teams that didnt get into F1 2010 will join this new championship which I presume will be called The F1 Rebels?

I am for a brand new calendar with brand new tracks, I just have to lol at Abu Dhabi for putting so much effort in to this new track and only having one full season of it :)

Force India, Williams, Campos and Manor in F1 2010 :lol:

There are also going some rumors on of Ferrari (in coop with the FOTA) buying the whole A1GP series with all the content and deals they have. A1GP are struggling really bad with their financial situation and as you all now Ferrari provides the engines and chassis for that series.

Well just remember what happened to Champ Car / IRL , this could actually spell the end of F1 and any breakaway series, it may not be all good news.

yep, 100% with you on this one mate, the only upshot was a strengthening of Nascar, which - as I said in another thread - might lead to a strengthening of GT cars/series in FIA's case. I wonder though, whether the rebels will be able to do a "Premier League" as in: we're breaking away and become more successful than the original brand "First Division". analogies, analogies ...

• Jon Marjanen

I'm really rooting for this new series and hope it will happen. FIA's been playing very dirty lately. All Mosley is interested in is power, and at the same time he accuses FOTA of only thinking about themselves and not the sport.

Think about it: Mosley has publically accused FOTA of lying, of working against any compromise etc. But at the same time Mosley just rejects any suggestion FOTA makes without even looking at it and tells them that they can talk about the rules but they must first sign up. That's just BS. The only thing Mosley wants is for the teams to sign up for F1 and then he can say tough noogies, the rules stay as they have been suggested.

Mosley and Bernie have systematically worked to break up FOTA and the unity the teams have created amongst themselves.

The new series has huge potential. Think of F1 without the stupid rules, without Mosley and Bernie, with a proper points system, and driving in countries and tracks where there is actually interest for the sport instead of driving in Bahrain for barely 40 000 people because the track pays millions and millions to Bernie. The new series could be all that and more.

Anyway, the new series will be the true Formula 1. The history and the heritage that F1 currently enjoys was all created by the teams, drivers and tracks. Not the FIA and not Bernie. When the teams leave, they are going to take the history of the sport with them and the FIA and Bernie will be left with a hollow shell with nothing but the name Formula 1 written on it. Their series will be F1 in name only and the true F1 will be the new FOTA series.

Mosley's lost. He's talking big for the cameras because he has to. He doesn't want to talk to the press, but he has to, so he says things like "the teams are all bluffing, they all need F1".

When the teams leave, the sport will not be F1 anymore even if it says so on the website. Formula 1 is the teams and drivers. Not Mosley and Bernie. The new series will be the new pinnacle of motorsport.

I hope it's not just a negotiation tactic and they stay the course and do it for real.

I'm really excited about it too! Think of Ferrari with Kimi, Massa and Alonso. Holy ****.

But the biggest thing I'm excited about is being able to watch my favorite teams and drivers race in a series without Mosley and Bernie.

Edit: Also I was going to write that this decision to break away by the FOTA has to do with much more than the budget cap. It has to do with them not wanting to commit to a series without any sort of clarity about rules etc. FOTA wants the rules to be clearly defined and finalised before signing up. But Mosley wants them to sign up first, so that he can later dictate the rules as he sees fit.

It also has to do with the money the teams have been cheated out of ever since 2006 by Bernie. And about the teams deserving a bigger portion of F1's income.

Personally I'm glad that Ferarri (and Flav) are gone. Ferarri have taken serious liberties with F1 over the years. Also, Flav criticises anyone who's better than him. Hopefully with all the fat-cat teams gone, and replaced with sensible, more honest smaller teams, f1 can go back to what it used to be about. Honest, fair, FUN racing. Less of the £4 trillion corporate show-off teams. Although i do agree that the FIA should have listened a bit more to FOTA's ideas though. Though honestly, some of Flav's statements, you just want to punch him sometimes.

I'm with Mark. Not a chance this will happen. And if it does its for the better imho. Ferrari and Co even McLaren which I have supported from day uno are taking FIA for granted. I have listened to Max Mosley interview and fully endorse his move in the budget cap. The eight'rs are gonna hurt badly when they break-away. F1 will still continue and recover with teams like Williams and the new ones coming in. I see why FIA are taking these initiatives to improve the sport. Everything isnt about Ferrari in F1. Thats how it should be. Or maybe this is all a game these guys are playing on the fans.

• Jon Marjanen

The comparison between the IRL/Champ Car split and the split between FOTA and the FIA isn't really relevant. A more correct comparison would be the initial split from USAC control that formed CART in the first place. The USAC faded away and CART was very succesfull.

The fact that Monaco refuses to arrange another F1 Grand Prix if Ferrari leaves the sport says all that needs to be said.

Think about it. What is the reason new teams and drivers aspire to reach F1 in the first place? Because they want to drive against the best teams and drivers in the world at the pinnacle of motorsport. They want to race against teams like Ferrari, McLaren, Renault etc. If the best teams and drivers leave F1 and start their own series, any new teams and drivers will want to go there because that's where the pinnacle is. That's where the best are.

If Williams had the money, or didn't have all these contracts with Bernie and the FIA, they would leave with FOTA in a split second.

This has nothing to with the budget cap like I said before. Mosley and Bernie care about nothing else than power and money. They don't care about the sport. If Mosley was interested in working things out, he would have met the teams half way. But it's his way or no way. The man is a hypocrite.

If the breakaway series happens, it will be FIA's F1 that suffers badly. There has already been a lot of interest from new teams, like Lotus and ProDrive to join the new FOTA series. Do you really think people are going to accept a series that with the exception of Williams, has absolutely no history or heritage in the sport, has no Monaco GP, with cars all driving with the same underpowered "world engine" and tries to pass itself as Formula One? I know I won't. I follow the teams. The teams ARE F1. The FIA isn't.

I think Jon sums it up pretty well in the end, but for me it's slightly different. My first experience of F1 was a tough battle with Senna and Mansell literally driving the wheels of their cars down the straight (forgot track, F1 supremos help me out here). That to me was F1 and in my head it still is, its the spirit of the sport. No holds barred fastest possible, most efficient and technologically innovative form or motorsport that we can provide. I understand in these trying times, economic and environmental that certain measures must be taken, be they cost wise or efficiency wise. Those are all aspects of engineering which are a HUGE part of this sport.

What was done by the FIA in the past was not alway agreeable with the fans and the teams because of the lack of transparency in the way the handed out their decisions/rules. This needs to change, this HAS to change. We are past the Medieval times where a king tells you what to do and you do it just because he says so. This was a long time coming. Although this season has shaped up to be on of the more interesting ones in years, let's face it the changes make the cars look comical (but it has provided a spark the sport desperately needed).

Whenever theres one person ruling over a body things have never turned out good in my mind. FOTA needs to tread carefully now, the ball is fully in their court should they choose to continue with their actions, and I desperately hope they do.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders," added the statement.
Would like to watch the breakaway series :clap:

Just dump F1 already :(

The fact that Monaco refuses to arrange another F1 Grand Prix if Ferrari leaves the sport says all that needs to be said.

yup its a classic track to lose but hey... replacing it with one where they can overtake, i'm up for that!

If this split does go ahead I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. First I'm a Williams fan thru and thru and want to see them do well, hey they should even end up as champions if the other 8 teams leave, how much happier could I get? but as pointed out this a hollow victory as the missing part is racing against all the top drivers... which would be in <insert championship name here> and i want to see that too.

Looks like my weekends will be split between F1, WTCC, BTCC, another should this all happen. my sky box will need a larger hard drive! :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 101 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 78 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.4%