F1 Silverstone qualify what a joke

F1 is a true circus not to be taken too seriously. The deeper your arm is in the stewerts asses the better you will perform. What a joke.
However, i do agree with the two wheels on track otherwise...rule for ALL tracks. But they have to follow that rule for everybody(!) and be consequent.

F1 is a true circus not to be taken too seriously. The deeper your arm is in the stewerts asses the better you will perform. What a joke.
However, i do agree with the two wheels on track otherwise...rule for ALL tracks. But they have to follow that rule for everybody(!) and be consequent.
I agree that it should happen everywhere, but since the stewards before qualifying only talked about being strict at Copse, Stowe and Club, they did their job perfectly.

Zero tolerance rule was only in effect for 3 corners indeed.

I think you should ask a different question.

Back in the days you had the end of the asphalt tarmac being the boundary, they putted a white line on it which became the boundary. Then they created huge curbs higher then the average sidewalk on a normal road. But then the problem started, curbs where lowered or removed, they started to tarmac on the outside of curbs, they putted astro turf on the outside of curbs in some cases even the outside of astro turf got a stroke of tarmac paved!!!!, then they removed astro turf and changed it for asphalt tarmac, and along all those changes they also started to pave every single gravel trap and along all those changes the curbs changed from 10-20 cm wide curbs to curbs that are even wider then the car itself!!!

What do you think a racing driver will do:O_o:

Put back normal boundaries then a driver will think twice before going over the limit, we saw that in Austria. What you have now is that every incident, every fart and even if you look evil to uncle Bernie you are already under investigation.

Go back to the old days, give the driver a wheel, 4 huge black tires and an engine with a full tank of gasoline and tell him to have fun out on track. These days drivers must study a book with the thickness of a bible for all the rules and understanding the car. It got kinda crazy if you ask me. Just go back to basics and keep it simple.

Maybe there is something better for the future, but tarmac run-off and flattish kerbs is the best solution so far for both cars and bikes.

With gravel traps, cars tend to either fly across or dig in and flip making a small incident into something much worse. Also marshalls and spectators often get showered in gravel or cars running wide drag gravel back onto the circuit. High kerbs make cars fly and injure bikers.

They just need to find a techical solution so it is not down to a human observer to make a call. Some kind of beam or pressure pads or something at the side of the track that drivers shouldn't drive across or on seems like it should be possible.

@Mark Aalberts The thing is to find a solution good enough for bike races as well. Riders are much safer with tarmac :)

I often see this argument, but after the fatal accident in Moto 2, there were complaints that there was no gravel at that point, and seemingly, by the discussions going on at the Autosport forum at the time, they didn't like tarmac runoffs for motorcycle.
And that the 'myth' was created due to Waine Rainey's accident, which most likely would not been severe, if the track owners had done their job, and flattened out the gravel trap after they had they car racing meet there.

The solution to the problem in Barcelona is to raise the grandstand there and have the run-off go under it as they have done at the last chicane at Assen. Tarmac or gravel makes no difference if the run-off is just way too small.

I often see this argument, but after the fatal accident in Moto 2, there were complaints that there was no gravel at that point, and seemingly, by the discussions going on at the Autosport forum at the time, they didn't like tarmac runoffs for motorcycle.
And that the 'myth' was created due to Waine Rainey's accident, which most likely would not been severe, if the track owners had done their job, and flattened out the gravel trap after they had they car racing meet there.
It is exactly what @fortyfivekev said. After all, that's how a crash with gravel can end up.

Its inconsistent.

I was sitting at Copse for qualifying and I saw at least 10 cars go all 4 wheels over the white line, and only 3 drivers got their time deleted for it, all in Q3.

Not just at Copse but Magnussen and Alonso got through cos they track extended...

I think F1 should implement a Codemasters Time Trial style system so if a driver goes all 4 wheels over, it automatically invalidates the lap.

Just bumping this up with a little tweet regarding the MotoGP Race at Red Bull Ring.
"Just a small change to one turn, spectators only have to look 3 mtrs further! Track needs gravel traps back again"
https://twitter.com/McWill99/status/763838331478302730

Which further proves my point earlier in this thread, that it is not the "motorcycle gang" that wants the tarmac runoffs like they are at the moment.
I will bump it up too :p

Jack Miller to the hospital after this biggy https://new.vk.com/video-118867340_456239334

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 315 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 447 39.3%