F1 problems in Texas, need your help

I haven't seen anything about this so I thought I would post this here. I found the original post on the iRacing forums, and I have personally emailed everyone within the city of Austin and state of Texas. I live just north of Houston and I cannot wait for F1 to come to Texas. The last thing we need here is another dang Rodeo or Stockshow for crying out loud... lol...

Hello All,

I live in Austin, Texas and am so happy that Formula1 has agreed to come here starting in 2012 for 10 years! The track is under construction and on schedule, however it just hit a major crisis. The developers are funding 100% of the estimated $300-million track cost as well as $4-million a year for a "Local Organizing Commitee" to do the little items that a city would usually do for free. However they also have to pay a yearly $25-million sanctioning fee to Formula1 just to come. This is a TON of risk and money, but they are willing to do it.

The state of Texas has a "Major Events Fund" that's entire purpose is to use money to attract major sporting events to come to the state of Texas. The purpose being that it brings a huge return via major economic influx to the Texas economy. It's basic good business economics. The state Major Events Fund and the state comptroller signed deals with the organizers to give them $25-million a year to help with the sanctioning fee. All the studies have shown that the event will bring in @ $400-million a year to the economy. So it's a great ratio, spend 25 and get 400. Everyone wins, business grows, Texas makes money.

Only catch is the City of Austin needs to just officially sanction the race. All they have to do is vote "YES we want it". Four of the voting city council members have been saying things like "We should not be funding a race track when teachers are getting laid off". These are completely separate issues. If the Event Fund money is not spent here on F1, it'll be 100% spent somewhere else in Texas on a Rodeo or something that will not generate as large a return. By not having the F1 race, 1000+ jobs will be lost and we will lose all the economic impact. We would lose twice if F1 doesn't come. The State Legislature delegated and approved the money to be spent on attracting a major sporting event to make money for the state of Texas. This is what it is for. It could be seen as a short-term loan and the the state gets it all back again with a 10x+ income. Not having it will put the whole race at risk. It may cause the plug to be pulled.

So the clueless uneducated ignorant city council is trying to make a political statement by blocking the "Major Event Fund" money. The city is not paying anything and is not shouldering any risk. It has nothing to do with the city. It is State money and the track is outside the Austin city limits. It is just a formality that triggers the money. All they have to do is a formal "yes we want it" in Austin. The majority of Austin citizens are for the race coming based upon polls, the percentage of speakers at the last city council meeting, and most of the local news station opinions.

***********The official and last vote is on Wednesday 6/29/11. PLEASE HELP. PLEASE SEND A SHORT EMAIL TO THE CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS IN SUPPORT OF IT BEFORE 6/29. The majority of Texas wants it, it's a shame to have 4 people try to ruin it for small town politics.

Their emails are at this website and also listed below. Please say something like "If Austin has F1 and other major race events at the Circuit of Americas in Austin, I will come to some of the events and spend money. I live in xxxx. Please support building the track and vote "YES".

http://austinf1facts.com/
http://circuitoftheamericas.com/

Lee.Leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us

Mike.Martinez@ci.austin.tx.us

Bill.Spelman@ci.austin.tx.us

Chris.Riley@ci.austin.tx.us

Sheryl.Cole@ci.austin.tx.us

Randi.Shade@ci.austin.tx.us

Laura.Morrison@ci.austin.tx.us

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Robert DeGroff

Like if the money they could "save" not investing on the track would be dedicated to education or health care... if it was like that I wouldn't say anything, but is not likely to happen.

Keep Austin weird :wink:

yeah I agree but the problem is if they did not spend it on say F1 they wouldn't use it for education, or anything else to "better" the people. It would be used for something else to bring in the tax dollars.

This is an awful decision by the politicians. What a perfect time for F1 to go to Texas. They have the most profitbale sports team in the world in the Dallas Cowboys, The Texas Rangers were in the world series last year, The Mavericks just won the NBA finals, this is the perfect time to promote sport in Texas

Also, the cowboys and Rangers are in Arlington, the Mavs are in Dallas, you have the Astros, Rockets and Texans in Houston and San Antonio have a basketball team and I think Hockey team. Also the Soccer team in Houston ar doing quite well. So why on earth are the officials in Austin completely ignoring the obvious need to bring some of that success that is occuring throughout the state of Texas in their direction.

Texas is a perfect place for Formula 1 in the USA, The people are sports mad, Come on Austin, sort it out.

Hence no American drivers on the grid :)
Exactly. xD
Standard NASCAR pit radio conversation:
- Turn left, Billy Joe, turn left! Left! Now, you want to turn a bit left-er!
- Gosh darn it, Pa, I think I'm turning right! Oh, darn!
- Stop turning right, Billy Joe! Turn left!
- Which way is left, Pa?
- Bi-i-i-i-l-l-l-l-y-y-y-y!!!
(tire screech and the sound of metal meeting a concrete wall)
Commentator: He drove a good race, but he just forgot to turn left there. Even the best of them have made that mistake, this track is very hard to memorize.

Great! more e-mail addresses to send spam!
hehehe...

Seriously i would'nt want F1 to come to my Homeland, it was hold in Istanbul for 7 years and it really costed a lot for the government. I think that's unnecessary payload for such a just a weekend glamour sport event.

On the other hand, if you don't care about your government and their finance, watching f1 on the track is a magical feeling :D

Is it me or does the tack look like is being built in the middle of nowhere?. Well I for once hope they really get going with this track. From what it looks like in my Opinion is sort of a Montreal with some Istanbul mixed track...thats my opinion of what i see in the dirt so far. I hope its a really fast technical track. I as an american support F1 around the world and even more when it used to be hosted in the US. BUT im only 0.001% of the US population that knows about F1. :parrot:

All the tracks (except street) are usually in the middle of nowhere, specially in places with a lot of place to build like Texas, but it's close to much more people than Montmelo or Monza...

If it was a mix of Montreal and Istanbul it would be a masterpiece, those tracks have provided some amazing racing over the years. It depends how popular F1 is in America though, I know that not many people go to the Istanbul race and that it costs the country a lot of money, but the circuit there is amazing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%