rF2 F1 Pre-Season test @ Melbourne - Sunday 22 March 2009

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well people need to know how to use Launch Control properly and on the formation lap we need to go all at the same speed so there isn't any bunching(Never had any problems in the GT Leagues).
The formation lap is so we can warm the tyres up/ Brakes so we have no accidents in turn 1.

Out of the 18 starts only 4 people finished the race :(

Practice - 3rd:
Pretty happt, faster than I thought on a less than perfect setup.

Qualifying - 5th:
Timed it badly, only got 1:27s, and was slowly pushed to 5th.

Race (1) - DNF:
Launch control screwed me over, engine stalled and a big pileup... Really sorry!

Race (2) - DNF:
Launch control almost stalled me again, but kept going courtesy of a nudge from behind. Was doing ok, then later spun, and the man behind made no apparent effort to avoid me, and my wing was gone. Pitted, and as soon as I left the pit, engine burts into flames. Race over.

I had never used Launch Control before, don't use aids so I was learning. Sorry all. 4 finishers? Ouch... That was terrible. Something needs to be done to get people to calm down. Everything up to the race was going almost perfect.

Thanks for organising, would love to enter these F1 races whenever I can. :)

Anyone who's got the race replay? I really want to see what happened to everyone as only 4-5 people made it to the finish line.

Attachments

• chaos.F1.jpg
    chaos.F1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 226
Nice video :) No time to avoid Tim :)

Regarding starting; consider this event as training/practice for the real thing next sunday :)

Formation lap is like the rolling start procedure at RaceDepartment. Keep it to one speed and stay in a single line, no weaving.
Start with launch control to avoid wheel spin and the crashes that will follow.
Keep each other alive. The car trying to pass is the one who has to avoid collision as much as possible.

Nice video :) No time to avoid Tim :)

Regarding starting; consider this event as training/practice for the real thing next sunday :)

Formation lap is like the rolling start procedure at RaceDepartment. Keep it to one speed and stay in a single line, no weaving.
Start with launch control to avoid wheel spin and the crashes that will follow.
Keep each other alive. The car trying to pass is the one who has to avoid collision as much as possible.

I agree Ramon! It really is that simple. A suggestion for some who are new at this like me. :sinister: Run as many offline races as you can with the same rules that we will be running online, i.e. formation lap etc. It does'nt matter if you qualify first or last. It will get you used to the order of things and help to calm your nerves before the "real thing". It helped me!! :dance2:

• Steve Parker

My DNF was caused by myself lol,touched the grass on exit of corner with rear wheel,and round it went into the wall,was having a clear race up until then in 2nd place,are the physics for each car different,or will one setup work on another car ?

Comments from last night....

my failure to finish was a driver error at the fast chicane. under pressure from a williams and i turned in a bit to sharp hit the black and yellow curb and good night vienna. hey ho... was in 3rd at the time from a 15th place start.

with regards formation lap - keep a steady pace. i was trying to get into single file behind Fernado but mclaren behind kept zooming up and down. very unnerving. i had to trust that he wouldn't collect me.

launch control. i just cannot understand why people are struggling with this. heres what i do and have not had an issue. hopefully this will help someone.

step 1 - pull up to grid box.
step 2 - engage neutral
step 3 - push and hold launch control
step 4 - when the lights start to go red still holding launch control push gas pedal to 100%
step 5 - when the lights go out release launch control. keep foot planted and go thru the gears

things not to do.

don't use touch a manual clutch pedal while launching under this proceedure.
don't use part throttle. keep it 100%.
if lifting to avoid an incident ahead remember if you plant your foot again you may spin it... cold tyres! treat it like a lady (as someone said to me... i think it was Ingemar)

hope that helps a bit.

finally these cars need a clear head to drive, not sure if the end of a weekend is helping (not looking for excuses just trying to ensure we have a good race come next weekend). the 13:00GMT race was a lot better than this one, even aliens like Tim had incidents with the 20:00GMT start. although saying that Ben turned up right on the money... :)

:rotfl: GREAT MOD THIS. Love the F1 cars.

Practice, Warm up and Quali all good for me.

First start. Pile up Race aborted

Second start. Got away clean and managed to avoid most of the carnaged, until I came across the remains of Tim and daniels crash, where I picked up a puncture and had to pit (forgot ot put extra fuel in doh! ) Was having a good tussle with Toni with Mark just infront of him, until the two came together, I just about got away with tapping Toni, no wings missing anyway, and managed to keep a good rhythm until a few laps before the end I had to pit for fuel. Finished 3rd and claimed the last podium spot.

Hope you guys have fun next week. I'm gonna miss it because it clashes with the RDMCC, but hope to be back in by the time it gets round to China.

step 1 - pull up to grid box.
step 2 - engage neutral
step 3 - push and hold launch control
step 4 - when the lights start to go red still holding launch control push gas pedal to 100%
step 5 - when the lights go out release launch control. keep foot planted and go thru the gears
I had done that procedure on the second start, and my wheels spun. I managed to hold it, but nearly caused an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%