F1 must continue with V6 engines, say manufacturers

F1 must continue with V6 engines, say manufacturers

Well, here's another headline for you, Bernie and Co.:

F1 must continue to lose fans, say everyone else

For me it's not even the sound that's the bother, but rather:
- Endurance racing. Lift and coast to save fuel doesn't belong in F1. It should be on the limit every corner of every lap, until the race is theoretically won - the way it used to be 10-20 years ago.
- Exorbitant costs. This is costing F1 teams, because they cannot sustain the money needed to pay for the engines.
- Reliability/Workability. Look at Jenson Button here, and Kvyat and Magnussen in Australia, and Manor. It's not helping that the grid is only at 20 max to begin with, and now you have to already start races with 19, or 18, or 17, or 16, or 15 cars just because of the complexity of the ERS/MGU-K/Whatever.

I get that the engine manufacturers need the hybrid systems in order to stay in F1, but the fans need the cars to all line up as well, and if they can't make it drastically cheaper as well as more reliable, then there really is no point and we may as well have the cheaper V8's/V10's of the past.

And you're not the only one. This championship is becoming more and more popular.
If this is the future of racing, I'm afraid motorsport in the form I intend it is dead...and I should start looking for another job :(

Formula E is actually a really good form of motorsport. I was a very skeptical of it myself at first, but once you watch one or two races, it's actually quite nice to watch. It's not like they're making F1 an electric race series, so you still have the choice of watching F1 if you don't like FE... :thumbsup:

Besides, F1 is the dying sport IMHO. That's why I prefer the endurance racing now (Blancpain, WEC etc etc)... I prefer the looser regulations of the WEC. But now we're moving on to something else completely, so lets not go there ;)

Formula E is actually a really good form of motorsport. I was a very skeptical of it myself at first, but once you watch one or two races, it's actually quite nice to watch. It's not like they're making F1 an electric race series, so you still have the choice of watching F1 if you don't like FE... :thumbsup:

Besides, F1 is the dying sport IMHO. That's why I prefer the endurance racing now (Blancpain, WEC etc etc)... I prefer the looser regulations of the WEC. But now we're moving on to something else completely, so lets not go there ;)

Agreed. I don't particularly care about what the engines are, as long as it's fast, and it can remain competitive and retain teams due to low costs. F1 is struggling a bit with that at the moment.

I wouldn't mind seeing a mix of V6 turbo and V8 naturally aspirated together as long as the rules could accommodate both powertrains. I really like giving manufacturers more flexibility in engineering and design. Certainly adds more variety and excitement.

I'm maybe old school, but if it was all for me to choose,
-it would be back to V10/V12,
-removing DRS and KERS,
-dropping the number of grand prix to 16 or 17,
-bring back the old 1st-to-6th-got-points system,
-bring back clutch based shifting,
-zero driving aids,
-hopefully make so that a base package is cheap enough to have an overflow of teams and having to pre-qualify.

But yeah, I prefer watching in loop late 80's/early 90's seasons than watch modern F1... Much more exciting to watch... Lot more driver skills involved...

Bernie has finally let the coin drop after all this time, but WAY too much capital has been invesed in these new turbo power systems and to be honest the only thing that's lacking is the sound. If we're looking at it from a pure entertainment stand point IMO the V6s win provided there's no tc, and other hidden software to aid drivers.

The era of the Ferrari F60 (one of the most beautiful F1 cars imo in its infancy without all the winglets added on later in the season), and Brawn GPs was one of my favorite. I'm all for the cars looking cleaner, it makes for cleaner air following another race car and it might make DRS void, which I do view as almost cheating. Racing like Arnoux and Villeneuve can come back, but the engines im afraid are not the answer. There are so many small things that need to be removed or added to make that type of excitement come back.

One main ingredient that we don't have today is the bravado of the days of old. The sport is so much safer, and we're all super thankful for that, but in the old days that made the guys racing different. Some of the greats lived for the moment, and in those moments if you would put Villeneuve and Senna together in those cars on that day in Dijon (instead of Arnoux) you might have something even greater.

True champions have the skill, but their WILL must be stronger than the skill. Rosberg has to show some of that in order to put the doubt back in Hamilton's head.

Totally agree Cristian. DRS needs to go. And so does the 2 tire system.
Let them use whatever engine they want with a bhp limit of 1100. I sure would like to know what F1 racers from the 70's, 80's and 90's think of all this "fluff" in F1 today.

Some of the other options are nice to dream about such as v12s, refuelling, tyre war but unfortunately we live in a world which has not come out of a recession for past decade nearly (most of us with jobs would have felt this).

There is no heaps of cash lying around for F1 like the good old days which means cost has become a critical decision point failing which the boards of most big manufacturers will hit the kill switch.
I think all those things are still possible. F1 brings a huge amount of money I mean look at the ticket price for a start. Then also look at the driver salaries and then try telling me there is no money in Formula One.
I think it's 2 things that get in the way of this sport which has made me enjoy WEC more than F1 now.
1) Bernie
2) FIA stupid regulations

Totally agree Cristian. DRS needs to go. And so does the 2 tire system.
Let them use whatever engine they want with a bhp limit of 1100. I sure would like to know what F1 racers from the 70's, 80's and 90's think of all this "fluff" in F1 today.
And remove all the aero stuff. So have a standard front and rear wings that all teams have to use and can not change.
As all the stuff they use today to make racing so called more competitive, would be ditched and go back to the days when a car wouldn't have stability problems when slip streaming the car in front. And this would reduce what it costs to build a car and from what I remember when I started watching F1 from the 1970's onward it would make the races a lot more lively to watch :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 383 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 306 13.0%