F1 moving towards 1000bhp for 2017?

tottaly yeahhh....f1 must have some kind of ''unlimited'' concept....these days u can have hypercars with 1000-1400 hp and f1 goes around 850....i would like to see f1 speedos over 400km/h

tottaly yeahhh....f1 must have some kind of ''unlimited'' concept....these days u can have hypercars with 1000-1400 hp and f1 goes around 850....i would like to see f1 speedos over 400km/h

They are approaching 380 at Indy very fast....and you know what...they don't stop.

Could not disagree more with your point of view. Shall we ban rock climbing (free climbing) incase they fall and get hurt or die? How about banning motorcycling eh? That's very dangerous. Nope, there are too many do gooders and liberals and health and safety nutjobs ruining our worlld. We don't need any more. In my opinion that is.

You're not entirely wrong, lad; I'm just saying, don't go from one extreme to another.

I don't believe in banning anything, but, since this is a sanctioned motorsport, I hope they won't lose sight of a healthy medium.

Everything we do; every risk we take, must be handled with care, not foolhardiness.

It's not about horsepower. It's not about revs. It's not about fuel flow. And really it's not about tweaking these pitiful engines either. It's about old school, raw, unadulterated V8 or above POWER, which equals mind numbing sound and conveys a sense that these ARE really the strongest beasts in the world. Race fans are like that, you see. If you want techie stuff, go watch e-racing. It's actually quite good, IMO. But F1 has virtually killed the golden goose here. Bernie was right...for once.

Many of you may not be old enough to remember when many of the best drivers (you have heard of Mansell, no?) wanted to come to IndyCar. It's more of a test of driver skill instead of fuel management and the atmosphere is not as formal or rabid with media leeches. Well, IndyCar is getting back to that after a brutal split and fight. F1 does not have a monopoly on this "best in the world" tag, even though the past couple of decades have been very good for them.

As much as I would like to; I can't add anything to that. Well said and true sir! And indeed I do remember The Lion Heart, twin turbo V8s, Mugen V10s, and all of those things that made me eat crackers for 6 months at a time just to be able to afford to go see them in Canada. Now they come to Texas, and I could take it or leave it. I'd rather see the V8 Supercars run it. I sure would love to feel that same pull again.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more with your point of view. Shall we ban rock climbing (free climbing) incase they fall and get hurt or die? How about banning motorcycling eh? That's very dangerous. Nope, there are too many do gooders and liberals and health and safety nutjobs ruining our worlld. We don't need any more. In my opinion that is.

HEY! I resemble that remark. But I totally agree with you. Anyone who races, knows the risk involved and if they don't like it, they don't have to get in the vehicle. That's my take on that. There is nothing that stops me from strapping on a helmet and getting into a car that is fast to the limit of my control. And I know that a mistake on my part, or someone else could kill me. But I know it and I love to drive fast anyway. Any chance I get to go faster, I take without hesitation and I expect everyone else to understand that. If they don't like it; don't come see me run!

Motorcycle helmets? Well that's just smart thinking, but the government shouldn't have to tell us that and I don't think they should. My ex-girlfriend still doesn't remember whole parts of our relationship and she was wearing her helmet when she laid it down. There are no guarantees right? :cool:

You're not entirely wrong, lad; I'm just saying, don't go from one extreme to another.

I don't believe in banning anything, but, since this is a sanctioned motorsport, I hope they won't lose sight of a healthy medium.

Everything we do; every risk we take, must be handled with care, not foolhardiness.

Well, despite the fact that it doesn't get advertized enough, we do gain safety improvements when we go faster. Most owners don't say it, but I think it's an unwritten rule that when we make our multi-million dollar athletes go faster, we want to protect them more. I think Motorsport is one of the few sports that does a very good job at that without much prompting from the audience. As opposed to the NFL or NHL, or some other sports in the world. Anyone's take on Rugby? That looks permanently painful. :geek:

Meanwhile if the FIA get's its way, the top level of WRC will be R2 class cars with electric motors. :mad:

I hope not! Formula-E and some of the hybrids in LMS is enough for now. I like electric motors and all, but I don't care to spend my Saturdays and Sundays listening to them. That's what I love about NASCAR. They've only recently gotten around to fuel injection! :D

When the WEC cars are getting more technologically advanced than the F1 cars, you know something is wrong. The pinnacle of Motorsport should represent their name in every area.

F1 needs the right balance. If F1 were allowed to freely improve technologically we wouldn't even
need the drivers at this point, they would just programm the cars to lap the circuit on the their own.
Furthermore, even if it were not to be that extreme, with all the modern car control aids, there
would be no need for driver talent, just a good car. Thus there would be no thrill, drama or passion.

On the other hand, if F1 is left in a primitive state, why should anyone watch it, it is as quoted, the
pinnacle of Motorsport.

So the FIA is desperately trying to hold the interest by allowing the drivers to showcase their talent, but at the same time give certain boundaries upon which all the teams can develop as much as they can. It is not an easy task to find the right balance, I believe that F1 has to be reinveted every 5 years and see what is asked by the fans.

First, to get it out of the way, I could not care less about the sound.

Secondly, 1000bhp is just a number. It is so irrelevant. You can get the extra 200 bhp and depending on grip, aero or minimum weight end up with worse racing than 2014. Or better. The power of the engine alone is simply not guarantee of anything.

Well, despite the fact that it doesn't get advertized enough, we do gain safety improvements when we go faster. Most owners don't say it, but I think it's an unwritten rule that when we make our multi-million dollar athletes go faster, we want to protect them more. I think Motorsport is one of the few sports that does a very good job at that without much prompting from the audience. As opposed to the NFL or NHL, or some other sports in the world. Anyone's take on Rugby? That looks permanently painful. :geek:

Interesting you bring up the NFL. (And I have hear it's this way with Euro Football too with all the dives and stuff, but I don't know firsthand), The NFL has latched on to these inane rules about where you can "hit" a guy and HOW you an "hit" a guy along with some useless receiver possession rules (that are not even in the actual rule but the sub-notes to the rule -- e.g. "football move" before reception, whatever that means, which nobody knows) that they are in the process of doing the same thing that F1 is doing -- ruining the sport. Anyone who watched the Colts play Dallas and then Dallas play the Packers knows what I'm talking about, but there are millions of examples. And one of the greatest coaches (Dick LeBeau) ever to coach, who last year was the Steelers DC, and is NOW in the Hall of Fame precisely for his coaching, left the Steerers, partially because of their crackpot head coach, but also due in large part because the Steelers were targets of these hitting rules, of which the NFL admitted they got wrong eight (8) times during Steeler games this season, thus deciding the outcome of the game. I have loved the Steelers since 1979, but I'm not watching the NFL until these rules either get thrown out or made sensible.

It's kind of that way with F1...instead of letting the drivers (and they will tell you when they think it's safe and when they think it is not...it's called "assumed risk") drive, and letting the technicians build, they have neutered both of them, with many drivers saying they cannot push the car at all for the majority of the race.

It may look like they are going fast, but in reality, they are just driving in circles trying to hit certain fuel targets. And that, my friends, is not racing.

Last edited:
I hope not! Formula-E and some of the hybrids in LMS is enough for now. I like electric motors and all, but I don't care to spend my Saturdays and Sundays listening to them. That's what I love about NASCAR. They've only recently gotten around to fuel injection! :D

LOL. It's true that NASCAR cars are basic and and far, far, more complex regarding how many variables you can change during the race and before the race (as is IndyCar), but NASCAR suffers from the same meddling, and has for years. The worst one (of many) is throwing a caution flag for absolutely no reason. They call it a "competition caution" and they do it sometimes more than once a race. Despite what they will tell you, this is solely so they can bunch the cars up again and let bubba have his beer fueled adrenaline rush of seeing all the cars bunched up again and roar off, thus negating any hard fought time gains a driver/team has made to get in front of the field. And the list goes on and on with NASCAR. But sometimes, it's pretty old school, like watching their feeder series (you can't tell them apart really, which is funny to me) on a road course. There are so many different strategies and variables and the cars are so simple and raw...and NASCAR resists throwing useless cautions because it's not an oval or the marquee series. When is the last time you saw this sort of racing in F1?

Wow, when not on ovals NASCAR looks pretty great! :confused:

Yea, it's great. They just let them race, like they do on ovals (w/o the silly rules). It's kind of a foreign concept these days. Sure there are some bumps and bruises, but everyone knows "the rules". V8 Supercar is the best at it though, IMO.

Facts: design of front F1 needs esthetic improvement,
engine sound of F1 and most hybrid LMP's need drastic and dramatic tweaking for spectators to enjoy live races (sound is so important in the racing world, it tells us what the eyes can't capture, just try racing a lap with no or very low sound, you'll miss braking points and gear changes). I went to Le Mans in 2008 and was soooooo disappointed when the diesel Peugeot and Audi past by, that's just not a racing sound .Toyota has proven it can be exciting soundwise with hybrids, their sound is wonderful.
Engines are powerful enough, it are the restrictions in F1 that kills the sport. WEC cars are free to innovate, just take a look at the AMAZING Nissan LMP car for this year, turns everything upside down!! F1 should be open for this.
F1 should develop into what WEC is now, and if some teams can't cope with the costs, introduce a sub-class within F1 like we see now in LMP (1,2,C) where there is much more cost-effective structure and parts, with standards for everybody. Then offer the best teams of that competition sufficient prize money so they can stand a chance in the innovative class or the upper class as you wish. The two classes could race on the same time, just like the LMP cars do. The only thing I would like to see changed in the WEC is that the slow GT2 cars make way for new fast LM-GT1 cars like in the good old 90's.
That's how I see it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years