rF2 F1 MMG @ Monza Sunday 14 september 2008

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what a night. I didnt quite know what to think when I suddenly decided to race this race tonight as I have not driven these cars (this mod) for ages since it came out.

Practice:

Well practice was interesting for me, I had just woken up, didnt know what time the praccy was starting, and was slightly dazed in a slightly comatosed state lol.

I went out for a few laps and was waaay off Ramons pace. I didnt feel comfortable turning any corner, putting the accelorator on just felt like I was gonna spin out every time and so I thought the chances of finishing the race let alone winning it were very very bleak indeed.

I went for dinner half way through Praccy and came back to have 10 more minutes of trying to feel comfortable with this mod. On the very last lap of praccy I managed to get 2nd, just 1 tenth behind Ramon.

Didnt know you were so quick on this mod Ramon, you little bugger ;) hehehehe

Quali:

Well quali did not go too well for me I didnt think so anyway. I was down in like 12th most of the session, and could not help think that I had a shitty strategy or something compared to the guys at the front doing much much better laps than me.

I knew I had the pace after praccy so this was a complete mystery for me why i was like well over 1 sec off the pace.

I managed 7th after pushing my hardest so was not too haopeful for a good result in the race as on both of the sessions so far I kept spinning loads lol :(

Race:

Well this was where my night went from OK to briliant :)

I made an OK start (all starts seem to be the same with launch control, I dont think luanch control is very good tbh, if we run no TC then no LC thats what I think anyway, otherwise everyone gets the same start....same start = booooring ;))

Anyway got an ok start staying 7th and then brake a little too early for T1 just to be safe, but I see everyone else brake too early too so I put throttle back on and went down the inside of a person I think and then ended up 5th after T1 :)

Then I think the rest of race was a little blurry but I will try anyway :)

I was lapping wuite slow for 1st 10 laps like maybe 6tenths from fastest lap. I tried not too make any mistake (maybe 3 only the whole race :)) But I wanted too push hard, so I just kep on at it.

I see lots of people pitting like lap 13-16 and then I was 2nd for a while, after most had pitted, and then my lap times started to come down without even trying with worn tires, all very strange I thought and the car felt good.

For once in the race or any other sessions I felt incontrol of the car. I posted fastest lap of the race with my worn tires (obviously lighter fuel load) but still it felt very good. I got into P1 for a while and then I make my mandatory pitstop.

Came in, got a good stop and came out in 3rd place :( Thought maybe I would be 2nd here but Ramon got passed too. I was not too sure what happened here then 2 laps later I see Ramon come into pits handing back the 2nd place :)

I had Patrick infront by 12 secs and was really happy to be in the position I was anyway so just drove a clean few laps and saw I was catching very slightly so it gave me an insentive to push a little more.

The car felt great with the new tires and I felt totally incontrol, happy to push really hard and saw I was taking chunks of time out of Patrick. I thouht maybe I can win this :)

Then I got the gap down to 3 secs or so and then had a laps in concentration and dropped off at the ascari chicane and lost like 2 secs ort maybe a little more.

I then got my head down even more, managing to drive the fastest lap of the race by 7tenths or so, and by making no more errors I had cought up quite alot.

With 2 laps to go I needed to carry on pushing and try to catch up and then try to pass Patrick. BUT then he made it waaaay too easy for me and spun half way round the 2nd to last lap :( really bad luck there mate, I really wanted to have a last lap battle with you there, we could have made a better last lap than Spa in real F1 :)

I then was into 1st and I couldnt believe it :):)

Thanks to everyone for such a great race here at Monza. I will definatly be back again for some racing with this mod with you guys.

And thanks to Patrick for his nice words towards my driving, you did a fantastic job till the spin at the end :(

And tbh it was good of everyone to finish at all, it is very hard I think to keep these things on the road without Traction Control :)

And finally well done to Ramon who initially stuffed it up but managed a great drive to finish 3rd after dropping way back the grid after a lap 1 spin.

Thnaks to every one for the race tonight. I really did have great fun on my 1st MMG F1 race with RD.

See ya next time :)

EDIT: I would just like to thank the backmarkers tonight. Everyone raced perfectly and not once did I feel blocked or hindered in any way. Which is nice cos last time I raced at RD in Radicals there were lots of issues. Good stuff everyone :)

Finally some time to sum it up :)

The practice was going well. Tried on empty tanks and later on with my Race Start setup.

Qually went not well. Although I was 1st on the grid I still lost about 3-6 tenths, but could not get a good lap for it.
In practice and qually I practiced the start and judged the braking point for T1 with success.

<disappointment mode on>
Then the start. First of all my reflex was not that good, I think I just blinked which I shouldn't have done.
I braked into T1 but could not avoid the grass. Normally I should have gone straight through but I decided to try and make the turn.... -> wrong!
The car spun and I lost many places.
Can't remember if it was Lap 1 or 2 but in the 2nd chicane I lost it again but not that bad, just missed the chicane :)
In Ascari I don't know what happened, the car spun into the left and into the barriers. At this moment I thought my race was over.
There must have been some magic shields surrounding my car, I turned my car again and it was not (much) damaged at all. Most important the steering was ok. In terms of laptimes I noticed the damage. My acceleration was not as good as an undamaged car.
<disappointment mode off>

I think I was 17th or so at this stage and thinking; This could be an interesting race.
And it was. It was the first time for me actually having to battle in F1 cars. But it worked out great. My speed was obviously still not bad at all and I was closing in very fast.
I scheduled my pitstop around lap 20 (hehe) and could even race all the way to P1. But with only 10 seconds margin and still a pitstop ahead I hoped to finish in Top5.
Pitstop was ok, but was 13 seconds due to the damage. How strange because after the stop, the car felt the same and so were the laptimes. No 23s for me during the race, the car was just not capable to do anymore.

The fight with Daniel and Roy was interesting. Especially with Roy I could easily spot my car was having acceleration problems. But after a while I could run away while doing some consistent laps.

I still finished 3rd with a race that started very disappointed. I am very pleased to finish in the first place and even took the last podium spot Wooooot.

Grats to Mark, who will return for sure I think. Warning to all. Mark is normally way faster in OpenWheelers. So he will drive with one hand next race, just as I did this time :)
Also grats to Patrick. Bad luck losing the race, but still a nice result.
Very well done all who finished and thank you for this fair racing.

See you next time!

at first sorry...i was the toyoto driver...

quali: im starting from the 6th, and i was very happy about this. amazing start but i must lift the throttle because the car in front of me was a little bit slower and there was no room, so i drive behind and after the 1st corner i was on 6-8 place.
the next 2 rounds nice fights with drivers in front/back of me. in the 3rd round i make a mistake in the ascari and i must many cars passing me before i can get back to the track at 8 or 9.

now i m driving behind mark and another car in front of mark. on the straight i was very close behind mark but i lift the throttle (at 150m) before my normally brakepoint (at 110m). mark was driving in the middle, im at the left side. he brakes very early so i dont had a chance, im tryed to get right but it was to late :( so i destroyed my frontwing and mark was oor...big sorry.
i will take more careness next time, my eyes was only at mark but not at the driver in front of him. after this disaster i get a new wing and take full fuel onboard and hope the tyres (soft) are good for 27 rounds.

after many rounds...some blue flags ^^ hard pushing i can go from the last to the 7th... 7 laps or so before finish i lost my front wing another time after the first corner...stupid mistake. get new wing and end the race at 9th

nice racing but to many mistakes, need more concentration.

sorry for the crash mark... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years