F1: Mid-Season Driver Rankings Part One

Ahh, that's what you meant ;)

Remember Sainz Jr had awful luck in 2015. Four DNF's in a row at one point plus grid penalties as well. Max didn't really have that sort of bad luck
Sure Sainz had some more bad luck but its not like Verstappen didnt have any either. Verstappen had a DNF in Melbourne while he was in the running to finish p6. And a DNF in china when he was running p8 2 laps before race finish. So thats another 12 points he lost because of mechanic problems. What positions was Sainz running for when he had his DNF's ? I doubt he was in the running for points on all his DNF's.

These posts always turn into "defend your countryman!" :D
I don't support any driver, and enjoy the races more that way
It was ricardo's race in spain and the team did a poor job that day but certainly wouldn't begrudge MV's first win -- did a very good job of making the most of the errors that others made. That's racing.

Last edited:
"Rio Haryanto has proven little, if anything, this season that suggests he's worthy of an F1 seat."
That's where I stopped reading .......... has the author not watched any races this season ?

Its very easy to criticise someone else's driver order than create your own. Sure it's very easy to create a top 5 or top 3 but creating a top 22 is quite difficult with the asymetric TV coverage of some of the less popular/hyped/hot at the time drivers.

Give the man a break :p It's racedepartment, a site for simracing predominantly. I think they're brave even creating an article like this considering the potential comment wars :D (Although the comments have been much better than on other sites that dare post such rankings).

Thats not to say I agree with all of it but I don't think it's miles away from where most people would put them. Can't wait for part 2, real comment wars will commence :D

I come from Serbia, we don't have any drivers at all!

I am from the Netherlands so of course i am a big fan of Max. But i am not a blind fanboy who cant be objective about things. For example i do think it was Verstappen's own fault for crashing in to Grosjean in Monaco. Over here all the fanboys believe Grosjean breaked to early and it was he who caused the crash. Maybe because Max also wouldnt admit it was his fault saying he didnt break any later then on the laps before. While to me it was very obvious it was a misjudgement of Max. Of course Grosjean had to brake earlier, he was on a older and harder compount set of tyres. Max should have anticipated on that, so stating he didnt break later then before he actually does admit his mistake to me.

But when u look at the actual facts its very clear who was best.

Sainz best finish was USA 7th, max was 4th in USA . Sainz second best finish was 8th in Malaysia, Verstappen was 7th there. In the 8 races that season where they have both finished the race Verstappen scored 26 points vs 15 from Sainz. If u add the 2 races from 2016 thats 31 vs 19.

Its very easy to criticise someone else's driver order than create your own. Sure it's very easy to create a top 5 or top 3 but creating a top 22 is quite difficult with the asymetric TV coverage of some of the less popular/hyped/hot at the time drivers.

Give the man a break :p It's racedepartment, a site for simracing predominantly. I think they're brave even creating an article like this considering the potential comment wars :D (Although the comments have been much better than on other sites that dare post such rankings).

Thats not to say I agree with all of it but I don't think it's miles away from where most people would put them. Can't wait for part 2, real comment wars will commence :D
It's no worries, these discussions are good, even though they aren't concerning the drivers mentioned in the article :D.

Part 2 will mostly likely cause quite a stir, but hopefully for the right reasons :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 260 13.5%