F1: Hamilton Takes Pole to Set Up Final Showdown

Chris

Premium
Hamilton.jpg
Lewis Hamilton has taken his 61st career pole position to place him in prime position for tomorrow's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final race of the season.

With the Mercedes looking undeniably strong all weekend, even by their lofty standards, it was a question of which of the two Silver Arrows would take first, and which would take second. For the final time in this record breakingly long season, qualifying got underway.

Undoubtedly the star of the first session was Pascal Wehrlein in his Manor as he managed to capitalize on the lack of running and mistakes from the other teams to book himself a place in Q2. Toro Rosso are having their worst weekend of the season as a significant lack of running due to some concerning reliability issues with brake tins inflicting punctures on Daniil Kvyat's car twice during FP1 and FP2. Carlos Sainz Jr. finished the first session in a highly frustrating 21st place. His worst legitimate qualifying position of the year.

In Q2 it was the Ferrari of Kimi Raikkonen who raised some eyebrows as he lapped just a tenth slower than Nico Rosberg, boosting the hopes of a possible non-Mercedes run away train. Red Bull yet again managed to find something on the Super-Soft tyre, despite most teams rejecting it on the grounds that it was considerably slower than the Ultra-Soft and the degredation levels were rather similar. The Austrian outfit took the gamble anyway and elected to start the race on the red-marked Super-Soft. Whether that will pay off remains to be seen.

In his final qualifying of his career, Jenson Button could only manage twelfth place, behind Valtteri Bottas who for only the fourth time this season was out-qualified by the also-retiring Felipe Massa.

Massa.jpg

Felipe Massa managed to beat his team mate on a Saturday for only the fourth time this season in his final ever Grand Prix.

As the final qualifying session got underway, it was the two Mercedes first out to gain track position. Hamilton continued to hold his advantage over Rosberg, this time by over three tenths after the first runs. As night fell, the track conditions gradually cooled, meaning that the times came down yet again, and on the final run the two Mercedes' found roughly one to two tenths on a lap. Nico continued his trend of being slightly quicker in the first sector, but losing out substantially to Hamilton in the second and third sectors. This pace advantage allowed Hamilton to finish his final lap with a scintillating 1:38.755 to Rosberg's 1:39.058.

Daniel Ricciardo yet again put in one of his banzai stonkers to take third place away from Raikkonen, while Sebastian Vettel finished the session in fifth place and was infuriated. Verstappen squandered his chance of a top three start after a small mistake in the final sector.

2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Grid
Q1 | Q2 | Q3
  1. Lewis Hamilton - 1:38.755
  2. Nico Rosberg - 1:39.058
  3. Daniel Ricciardo - 1:39.589
  4. Kimi Raikkonen - 1:39.604
  5. Sebastian Vettel - 1:39.661
  6. Max Verstappen - 1:39.818
  7. Nico Hulkenberg - 1:40.501
  8. Sergio Perez - 1:40.519
  9. Fernando Alonso - 1:41.106
  10. Felipe Massa - 1:41.213
  11. Valtteri Bottas - 1:41.084
  12. Jenson Button - 1:41.272
  13. Esteban Gutierrez - 1:41.480
  14. Romain Grosjean - 1:41.564
  15. Jolyon Palmer - 1:41.820
  16. Pascal Wehrlein - 1:41.995
  17. Daniil Kvyat - 1:42.003
  18. Kevin Magnussen - 1:42.142
  19. Felipe Nasr - 1:42.247
  20. Esteban Ocon - 1:42.286
  21. Carlos Sainz Jr. 1:42.393
  22. Marcus Ericsson - 1:42.637

With Mercedes looking so strong, Rosberg simply needs to stroke his car home to a podium place and he will be the 2016 World Champion. Can Hamilton get tactful by trying to back him into the chasing pack? Or will it be too little too late?

Images credit of FIA.com

Hamilton had it nailed through sector two and three, good job from him.

Rosberg has this in the bag though. I can see Max keeping the Ferrari's busy in the battle for fourth in the championship (even though Max isn't here to finish 4th :D). I think he could play it safe against Ricciardo and get that podium

It is nice to see the gap between Rosberg and Ricciardo, hopefully Ros can pull away in the start and just ride it all through and cross the finish line as second, and as world champion.

Nice poll for Hamilton, shame Ferrari & Redbull didn't have the pace to get in front of Roseberg, hopefully they will during the race, don't want him as a champ, he's much better suited to a chimp.

Interested to see if LH will use some clever tactics today, to try an get a rival car in between NR. Like he said, you can't really back up the following car into the pack at abu -- but maybe some "backing up" could be done at turn1.

Outside of a turn 1 crash, I can't see how Rosberg can lose this. The Mercedes is simply too fast for anyone else. Even if he gets an appalling start, it'll just be a matter of laps before he's back up to P2. Heck, the Mercs are so quick they can actively pursue the wrong strategy and still rip the sh*t out of the competition.

practice times and quali times mean nothing nowadays,a bad start from Ham,nerves from Ros,idiot move from Vest,race could be any1,s,be interesting to vsee if Ham will slow the pace if he nails the start..

Good effort from Lewis but it's too late. Even though I think over the whole season Lewis was the quicker driver, Nico controlled the races to perfection when Lewis had his troubles. If Nico crosses the line 2nd today (which he probably will) it's a job well done by him and he'll be a worthy world champion.

2nd or 3rd will do ? no point in playing to safe some many have come unstuck before doing that.
Nico will have had plenty of good advice from his father after all he took he took Championship by 1 point I even think he only won one race that year to.
A nice clean race would be the best no stupid move's no sudden mechanical failures , nothing worse than a championship decided by anything other than both cars finishing what ever the result.

The way Lewis behaved in toward the end of this race show's he is little more than a spoiled rich kid .
He may have the talent , but he lacks the class & dignity of any of the past master's in F1 .

He is unfit to represent any top team Like Mercedes you can not behave like a bratt every time things do not fall your way .

He needs to grow up.

Well Done Nico I am Sure Mercedes are very happy to I think that is the First German driver to take a F1 world Championship driving for the German mark in F1 History.
So another big moment for Mercedes already massive motor sports history.

All the other Former Germany World Champions won with other Teams .

The way Lewis behaved in toward the end of this race show's he is little more than a spoiled rich kid .
He may have the talent , but he lacks the class & dignity of any of the past master's in F1 .

He is unfit to represent any top team Like Mercedes you can not behave like a bratt every time things do not fall your way .

He needs to grow up.

I think he did what anyone would have done there so that is a bit rich... Fair enough he could have been a bit less meh but it certainly made great to watch and funny seeing the Mercedes team go into panic mode

Lewis played it smart, he could've made a 20s gap and control the race but that'd mean he gave the race to Nico to be decided. The fact he slowed the pack down shows he has not only superior driving skills but is also able to think inside the car while going 330 kph on the straight.

Sure you could say it's cheeky what Lewis did but Nico could've just passed Lewis if he felt he was quicker. Nico just showed why he's a worthy champion.

Well done Nico, great job and a deserving World Champion. The pressure for those last 15 laps was immense and he kept his cool to get the job done. Nice pass on Verstappen as well, it's not an easy track to make a move on but top marks for both that they raced cleanly.

Also (and this always I think gets forgotten in the media) but well done and congratulations to all his mechanics and those that work on his car within the team. They work just as hard and want Nico to win just as much as him, well done. :thumbsup:

(I was going to say something about Lewis but I'll keep my mouth shut...:laugh:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 86 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 42 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 93 13.7%