F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Pascal Wehrlein

Most underrated driver on the grid, i completely agree. Pretty sure he would gazzump most of those fancy "trendy" drivers like Ocon, Perez or Sainz (or Bottas) if you gave him the same car.

Wehrlein definitely needs a decent team because he's quick and consistent. Scoring points with a Sauber it's something more than a difficult task.

BTW Ericsson is the no. 1 driver only because he's the Sauber pay driver...
yes exactly, Ericsson only reason he is in that seat, is him bringing 30-40$ million to the team. (championship Formula BMW and 1x championship F3 (Japan or UK?) i think)

and Wehrlein was DTM Champion 2015. (regardless how boring or bad DTM is or has become) and 2011 ADAC Formel Masters title.
I do think he is the better driver but needs more support, he should not depend on nor hope for Mercedes to help.

Last edited:
this kid deserves a chance in a good team/a better car, like Ocon on Force India. I bet he would've been doing much better on Renault in the place of Palmer.

Most underrated driver on grid possibly- while he has crashed a lot recently, they have not been silly crashes or collisions with other drivers but only crashes when he is trying to push the crappy Sauber way higher up the grid than it should be- he is definatley quicker than the (more experienced) Ericsson and deserves a better car.
But he usually crash in practice not race :/
But yeah, I get your point

Wehrlein is a great driver. But Ericsson, what a piece of crap. Ericsson shouldn't be in F1; but because of his money he will be in Sauber next year and Wehrlein will probably get left without a seat.

I gave him a '7'. Bringing home points in this year's Sauber is really quite a feat, so it would be hard not to be impressed by that. I would give him a much higher score (easily an '8' or maybe even a '9') if he starts to show a bit more consistency in the second half.

If Pascal really is the caliber of driver that his points-scoring finishes seem to indicate, I'd like to see him finishing ahead of Ericsson as a general rule, but that isn't happening at the clip I'd like to see to warrant a higher score.

Nasr was better than Ericsson and even scored a point in Brazil but then what happened? he is not around anymore.
Now Pascal is even better than Ericsson and we all know that.
The question is will he be staying in Sauber next season? Or will he end up somewhere else?

It is a solid 7 for Pascal. If talent truly determined the shape of the F1 grid, I imagine he would be a lock-in to next year's grid. However, his team's dependence on Ericsson's sponsorship may yet again see him out the door at the end of the year. For Felipe Nasr, I bet he has the "deja vu" feeling reading about Pascal's potential dropping from the Sauber squad. :laugh:

The only things that detract from Pascal's overall rating for me is his attitude, as well as the fact that he has been a bit erratic. Still, he is a class of his own up against Marcus Ericsson. Obviously, he's been the lone Sauber driver to score points this year! Again, I hope he does not end up like Nasr. ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back