F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Fernando Alonso

OK people, you all say hes good nearly the best...

From what ive seen through the years him wining 2 championships is pretty good... but mostly Alonso is always having engine failures in most races...

Does this mean he overdrives the car, not understanding some cars have to be driven carefully to its limits.. To win races like this, means you are good...very good. to beat people with better machinery then you... and skill.

Now lets look at another perspective... remember when Alonso moved to Mclaren, Lewis blitz him in the same machinery... Alonso admitted Lewis is a way better driver then Vettel as Lewis has beaten other cars and teams in less inferior equipment, not only to say hes beaten Alonso many times...

Now we come to them all, ok Michael has beaten them all in dominant car and not dominate car, Lewis has done the same, not forgetting last 3 years beat Nico convincingly even come back from way down in the order of points and positions, Vettel has always betten people with a dominate car, ive not seen him beaten others with a crap car, so you can say his 4 WDC's came easily, as his team mates dont put up a fight at all... Now Alonso, i give him respect he has 2 WDC's, he has beaten the best, not consistently, as his moves in F1 have not been good. Now if we look at all 4 drivers, who has the most engine failures... now understand all the factors but engine failures only happen with the person pressing the pedal and the way they drive...

Maybe im wrong... So before you say his great, look at his ratio in all factors against other drivers... too much hype... I only say this, as when he was at Mclaren the first time, Lewis destroyed him... remember Alonso was in his prime at that point, and this kid comes in and blows him away...and wins his first wdc, now you tell me who can do that, you all saying hes the best... come on now, lets be real :)

El Nano gets a stout "10" from me. Why? Obviously, he is a world champion in a backmarker outfit, for one thing. You do not see that often. Funny thing is, the fact that he is in a backmarking car has really given him even more of an opportunity to show us why he is a world champion. Unlike all of the other drivers throughout the first half of the season, Alonso has taken each opportunity to get big results, and he has maximized them. If you put two-thirds of grid in his position, I can guarantee you that they would not be reaching Q3 and scoring points like he does. Not to mention, of course, his Indy 500 debut was nothing short of stellar. Am I the only one who remembers that more vividly than the Monaco GP this year? ;)

I truly hope he keeps this up.

Engine failures are totally out of his control.
Alonso is a fighter and somehow he is able to punch above his car's weight. Alonso and Hamilton are the only guys who have consistently showed this quality during their whole F1 career.
And anyway he is always a spectacular driver.

I'm Alonso's fan, so I gave him a 10 for his efforts in the race. Unfortunately his car beat him so he lost so many vital points. For example:
Australia: 1pt (10th)
China: 4pts (8th)
Canada: 1pt (10th)
If his car hadn't any problems, he could have been in around 10th position at the moment

doing his best

he is one of the best drivers on the grid but it has the worst car aswell that is stoping him from winning or getting a podium

put him not at ferrari or merc but in force india that isnt in the same level in top 3 teams and he might win

Coming into F1 as a Lewis fan, I used to hate Alonso, but over the years I've come to appreciate just how fantastic a driver he is, and what a fantastic personality he is.

The past few seasons have been tough, but he has driven the wheels off the dog of a car he has been given, and is the best driver on the grid right now as far as I'm concerned. I want to see him win another championship before he retires.

Definitely a 9 or 10 this season for how far up the grid he has routinely put the McLaren Honda, even if it broke down before the end more than too many times.

Driving skills 10, but development skills? Sorry, but if you're the lead driver without hardly getting an inch forward in terms of car performance across three bleedin' years, you're not doing something right in your role as 'lead driver'. Granted, the modern V6 turbo era is very engine-dependent but Red Bull has shown you can compensate. So, I'd say that he's a perfect racer, yet a very good driver with some shortcomings - 8.

I`m not that big Alonso fan,but I gave him a 10. And I don`t think he is to blame for any DNF.
As a racedriver would you change your engine mode,reduce the max HP to 300, only to finish the race?
And I think the car isn`t that bad....it`s only the thing in the back....Honda would call it engine.:poop::roflmao:

He's a great driver, possibly my favorite. But I'd give him a 10 just for the way he's handled the Honda situation. He's definitely in twilight years and being held back because Honda can't get it together. Keeping that frustration in check the way he does is admirable and speaks a lot about his character.

The DNF aren't his fault. Honda is weak. He might as well stress it out, so they can have some telemetry to review for improvement. :)

Always showing world class driving and always proving he is probably the most complete driver on the F1 field,Alonso is literally placing that McLaren Honda in places it shouldn't be. However he's an egocentric guy that doesn't care if he can't build decent relationship inside the team. It's the most complicated trait in his personality and more than often this represented an handicap for him.

Anyway he still is a great driver. Really appreciated his strong Indy 500 debut too. 8 out of 10 for me.

Punching above the car's ability and showing great patience doing so.
That's how I sum up his effort this year.
I still believe the test driver role was the catalyst for Alonso being one of the best drivers ever in F1.
It's probably only his view of his finances vs retirement time, which has kept him driving that car.
He has shown great resolve.

There,s is only one thing to sum up Alonso ,

Probably the best driver on the grid , will battle and fight for every apex ,

Worst decision maker in the history of F1 regarding choosing teams .

Alonso won "best driver of the grid" several times over the years (even when Vettel was winning his titles thanks ro RBR) and is consistently among the top6 despite not winning anything in recent years when team principals were asked and could answer anonymously in that autosport poll and yet there's numbskulls here who will claim he's overrated - amazing.

Fully agree with chargingcar's last statement, every team decision since 2007 was wrong, without the issues during the 2007 which ended with the team working against him he could have won 2007, he might have stayed for 2008, potentially winning that season, he did have an offer from RBR for 2009, had he gone there he would have won 2010-2013 instead of Vettel (potentially even 2009) which would have made him at least a 6 times champion (just the two he has + RBR), maybe even nine time world champion with a bit of luck
of course that's all just hypothetical and instead he'll end up with just two ... it's a damn shame

6. Good, better than the last two years perhaps, but nothing to write home about compared to the other top tier drivers in the sport. His average performance is masked by the car's unacceptable engine and Vandoorne being one of the worst drivers in the sport right now, though at least Stoffel at least has the sense to not be as terrible and thoroughly lacking in motivation as Button was in Monaco and the previous two years.

The mass hysteria surrounding one of the most overrated drivers in the history of the sport will never stop amusing me. It suits the simdads on here quite well. Even at his peak he was just barely above average with a strong case of Fisichellitis, being totally and utterly incapable of winning a championship with a better car than his competitors unless it was so dominant that it should've just been called an '00s Merc (2005, first half of 2006).

Alonso won "best driver of the grid" several times over the years (even when Vettel was winning his titles thanks ro RBR) and is consistently among the top6 despite not winning anything in recent years when team principals were asked and could answer anonymously in that autosport poll and yet there's numbskulls here who will claim he's overrated - amazing.
If Frank Williams' very existence is anything to go by, the last thing any sensible person involved in F1 would ever want to do is to take what the team principals have to say seriously. They're the ones who voted in the new, lenient rules for wheel to wheel racing this year, after all.

Last edited:
Driving skills 10, but development skills? Sorry, but if you're the lead driver without hardly getting an inch forward in terms of car performance across three bleedin' years, you're not doing something right in your role as 'lead driver'.

The team has lot of engineers taking data about almost everything happening in the car, still it's Alonso's (any driver) fault that the team doesn't develop the car neither solve the problems.

The driver drives and give feedback. The team behind has to solve them. The driver have limited feedback to give, the engineers have waaaaay to much objetive data to make solutions.

If the cars understeer, the drive can say it understeers. Does he have to design the wings to? Come on let's be serious.

Alonso drives hard, but vandoorme is breaking the car equally. Does he overdrives too? Because he is miles behind Alonso speed laptimes in almost eeeevery race.

Alonso is great, give him a great car to show it.

i'm a tifosi, and a vettel fan for many reasons.
but alonso is faster than anyone on the grid, and this day like all days, faster than Felipe, so this message was legit.
In the Scuderia Ferarri, we aren't Mercedes, or RedBull, we almost always have a number one and a number two, Schuey, Alonso, Vettel, etc...

Back to the topic, this is a ten, what else ?
everything this guy does behind a wheel is near perfection and above hundred percent commitment.

excuse my english guys...

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 270 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 180 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 133 7.5%