F1 Goes to Bathurst

Jenson Button revealed his desire to join the V8 Supercars series full time after smashing the Bathurst lap record in a history-making blast around Mount Panorama.

In a breathtaking drive around Australia's most famous racing circuit in a McLaren F1 car, Button took 17 seconds off Craig Lowndes' lap record of 2min 6.80sec before declaring his love of Australian V8s.

"There is always the possibility that I could come over full time," Button told the Herald Sun.
"If I had the opportunity to do it, I think it would be great fun. I would probably get to see Australia as well if I came over to race in V8s and that is something I want to do.

"But there is a lot for me to do before I do that. I am enjoying Formula One as much as ever and it wouldn't be for a few years, but it is a possibility."

With thousands of spectactors turning out to watch Button and Lowndes take on the mountain in a V8 and F1 cars, Button burned rubber on his way to unofficially clocking a 1:48, smashing Lowndes' record set during last year's Bathurst 1000.

Button, who will attempt to win his third straight Australian GP this weekend, struggled to contain his excitement after the hell-raising lap.

"I couldn't imagine doing it with all the cars racing here," Button said.

"It must be a real buzz. It was just a great experience and something I really enjoyed. "I was holding on pretty tight the whole way around and I really had to concentrate at the top of the hill. It took everything out of me."

Lowndes was equally impressive, if not more, in the F1 car given it was his first drive. Going all-out despite his limited experience, the V8 legend almost reeled in Button's time when he clocked a 1:49 in the F1 show car in which Lewis Hamilton won a championship in 2009. "It was everything I expected and more," said Lowndes.

Article by James Phelps of www.heraldsun.com

I prefer the real deal. Great to see a F1 car on that track. Teams should do such things more often.

BMW @ Nordschleife
RedBull @ A tropical beach
McLaren @ Schiphol Airport
McLaren @ Bathurst

Really really cool stuff

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.1%
  • < 3 years