F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Sergio Perez

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Sergio Perez 3.jpg

Former Sauber and McLaren man Sergio Perez is the next in line for our RaceDepartment end of year rating treatment. How'd the Mexican do in 2017? Vote now!

Perez has seemingly been on the very cusp of greatness for a number of seasons now, only failing to deliver those truly top class performances when the heat is really on, somewhat resigning himself to the role of over achiever but not quite constant front runner - something the young Force India driver was at pains to redress during the season just gone.

Partnered with a highly motivated young rookie team mate, Perez had another strange season of outstanding performances mixed with unspectacular days at the office, doing little to help a solidify the reputation of driver who has proven to be so very difficult to quantify in his seven years in Grand Prix racing.

So with the season behind us and 2018 right around the corner, how do you think Sergio Perez has performed in 2017?

Vote now to tell us how you rate 2017 Formula One season of Sergio Perez, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Sergio Perez 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Sergio Perez 4.jpg
Rate the Grid - Sergio Perez.jpg

He´s a fighter, always fighting back - even it´s the wrong decision.:thumbsup: And i think like alle Force Pink drivers he deserves an extra point cause of the ugly car colour;):x3:

A '7' from me because I believe he took up the challenge from his young 'Team Mate' and came out ahead.
The occasional Latin Temper outburst as expected but that aside a decent enough year.
And I've always liked Mexican drivers!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
A solid 6.5
He's a very good driver but he needs to get control of his aggression.
He did good work most of the time...as he usual does but the coming together...especially with a teammate, is a bit silly.

Best driver not in a great car, but i think his temper got the best of him this season. We have seen what that can do even on the best of teams.

Not his best year on F1. I think he and Ocon got the best possible results from the car.

Good solid races from Checo on Barcelona, Bahrain, China and Singapour. Unfortunatelly situations on Monaco, Baku and on Montreal, the last one result from a strategy error by the team in not extending his first stint, sending him to pits way to soon and paying the price on the latest stages of the race. Bad races on Brazil and particulary SPA, where he did many mistakes that position himself on bad scenarios (did not have the correct mapping at the race start, passed Hulkenberg and then he passed back and lost the position to Ocon, 5 seconds penalty for bad passing Magnussen, and finally the silly contact with Ocon). The rest of the races seems he and the team were unable to get more from the car.

2018 is going to be hard for FI unless they improve the car. Renault and McLaren will come up with a better package on the drivers on those teams are very strong.

6 for me. I think we all saw this season why he was dropped by McLaren. He's fast, but his agressive nature gets the better of him on track and he cost his team some precious points. Also, Ocon was often faster, even though he's less experienced. All in all, he's a good driver but certainly not a future world champion. There are much better drivers out there.

Yes, I too think FI is going to fall back next year. McLaren, Williams and Renault may overtake them, and they may see some fierce competition from Haas, Toro Rosso and perhaps even the Alfa Romeo Sauber Ferrari II team. It is difficult to see whether the past two years were fluke results or genuine prowess. FI is a skilled team, though.

He certainly deserves a better rate than Ocon for 2017, in my view.
We are not talking about prospects here, after all.
Solid in front in the qualy battle , solid in front on the races battle (including out qualify and out race the frenchman on the last 2 rounds of the season, killing the theory that he was better only in the beggining.).

I give him 9.

2018 will be very interesting, because it seems Ocon will be coming very strong, at least is what everybody expects . Im very curious about this!

Actually, after reading some of your responses, Perez might be best if he's always the #2 driver. When he has someone to chase, he does really well. But he was supposed to be the mentor for Ocon, and didn't take the opportunity to teach the boy humility. Otherwise we would have seen them playing nice on-track.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back