F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Nico Hulkenberg

NH is very good, but wouldn't rate anywhere near the "tier one" group of f1 drivers.
Not DC material; Sainz already looks like the faster driver in the same machine.

Still don't know what to really think of him. The fact that he's never found a way to land a drive with a truly great team makes me think that he is not rated that highly by team bosses. He reminds me of another German driver: Nick Heidfeld. Good, sometimes very good driver, but somehow never seems to be outstanding. So I give him a 7,5.

One possible element is possibly physical. He's tall and heavy (for a race driver) and in all my years of watching F1 if you're tall and heavy you'll have issues getting a top drive. I suppose one exception is Jenson but he practically had to starve himself to please McLaren.

When you consider Nico weighs 75kg (over 6ft) and Massa is about 59kg if I remember (and 5ft 5") that's a big difference in an F1 car and it's packaging.

He's done a great job this year. Always tough to rate when a car is not great but did a good job with what he was given to race with. 7 for me :)

Could be very interesting to see how next season plays out between him and Sainz, I rate Hulk as an 8 and frankly, 2018 will show us how good he really is.
Mental toughness and grit will stand him in good stead at Renault.
FWIW, the cars will be heavier again next year, so perhaps that might be a factor that helps his height and weight disadvantage.

Last edited:
and see the legendary number 27 on that car again.
Only for the number, it would be totally worth it.
But hey, Ferrari would also hire a talented driver by doing so so it would be a win-win situation.

Don't get me wrong: I really like Kimi, but he's aging now... Ferrari must start planning ahead for when he retires.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back