F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Jolyon Palmer

Gosh. We have very different views of it. Normal drivers might get around a lap, sure. They would not be able to keep the car near the limit and catch it each time they exceed that limit. Being near the limit or "normal driver" distance from the limit would in my view mean several seconds per lap. But maybe we'll have to agree to differ ;)

People can belittle themselves as much as they want, but don't drag the whole 'community' of sim racers into it, i have driven racing cars and been around cars and motorbikes all my life, not saying i could be a champion but i can pedal a car round a track to my limits no problem and would have no worry about an F1 car, they are very approachable machines.

So yeah the evidence is out there if you look for it. These engineers and designers don't set pout to make a race car impossible to drive, its all relative so a Sauber maybe have worse aero and balance than the Merc, but the Sauber is still leagues ahead of a top GT3 car and as we know GT3 are designed for customer rich gentleman drivers...

All i'm saying is i hate all this "no one in the world ever could drive an F1 car....apart from the 22 drivers currently this year..all aliens"

Look at these rich dudes racing past sell by date F1 cars......and have some faith in yourself, racing is hard, race craft is hard to know, driving over limits of car is difficult.....but simply driving a race car isn't hard..honest.

http://bossgp.com/about/

People can belittle themselves as much as they want, but don't drag the whole 'community' of sim racers into it, i have driven racing cars and been around cars and motorbikes all my life, not saying i could be a champion but i can pedal a car round a track to my limits no problem and would have no worry about an F1 car, they are very approachable machines.

So yeah the evidence is out there if you look for it. These engineers and designers don't set pout to make a race car impossible to drive, its all relative so a Sauber maybe have worse aero and balance than the Merc, but the Sauber is still leagues ahead of a top GT3 car and as we know GT3 are designed for customer rich gentleman drivers...

All i'm saying is i hate all this "no one in the world ever could drive an F1 car....apart from the 22 drivers currently this year..all aliens"

Look at these rich dudes racing past sell by date F1 cars......and have some faith in yourself, racing is hard, race craft is hard to know, driving over limits of car is difficult.....but simply driving a race car isn't hard..honest.

http://bossgp.com/about/

This was an eye opener for me.

Hammond is a joke, he allows himself to play the fool....i just knew that vid would get dragged up. You are one of the sheep who thinks their shows are anything other than faked entertainment...
Either Hammond was playing it up...or he really is useless and should not be on driving show....
Heaps of people have managed to drive F1 cars ........jesus wept...
Did the guy in my video spin round like an utter fool several times?
Why did Hammond allow himself to be portrayed like that? So odd....

edit, just watched the video and its not as bad as i remember it.... key here is tyres were cold so bit unfair on Hammond, even the pros struggle with cold tyres.
And he should of been told about the heat needed in the brakes...in fact he should of known that himself...
Once his tyres were up to temps he was OK...oh and the worst possible 'track' for an F1 car, needed to be on a real race track not some testing ground which looked filthy...
But yeah even a video made to make F1 cars look impossible actually isn't that bad....so i'd be interested on this 'eye opener' to you....

edit, just watched the video and its not as bad as i remember it.... key here is tyres were cold so bit unfair on Hammond, even the pros struggle with cold tyres.
And he should of been told about the heat needed in the brakes...in fact he should of known that himself...
Once his tyres were up to temps he was OK...oh and the worst possible 'track' for an F1 car, needed to be on a real race track not some testing ground which looked filthy...
But yeah even a video made to make F1 cars look impossible actually isn't that bad....so i'd be interested on this 'eye opener' to you....

A sheep am I? Baaa

I always assumed that an f1 car would be relatively straightforward to take around a circuit. Finding the limit, shaving off the seconds, and being physically fit enough to deal with race distance would be the biggest hurdles, admittedly they now also have complicated energy harvesting systems which need to be monitored to maximise their potential. But here was a TV broadcaster, a lifelong motoring journalist who has driven and crashed more cars than I ever will. Some real beauties too. So somebody with a decent amount of track time, certainly no pro racer, but certainly the average guy with above average motoring experience and he struggled to get to grips with it. I would've liked for them to spend a week or three training him and seeing if or how he developed.

Naturally I know that any serious racer, would have an edge and experience over the hamster but i fancied his chances of making a decent fist of it.

A sheep am I? Baaa

I always assumed that an f1 car would be relatively straightforward to take around a circuit. Finding the limit, shaving off the seconds, and being physically fit enough to deal with race distance would be the biggest hurdles, admittedly they now also have complicated energy harvesting systems which need to be monitored to maximise their potential. But here was a TV broadcaster, a lifelong motoring journalist who has driven and crashed more cars than I ever will. Some real beauties too. So somebody with a decent amount of track time, certainly no pro racer, but certainly the average guy with above average motoring experience and he struggled to get to grips with it. I would've liked for them to spend a week or three training him and seeing if or how he developed.

Naturally I know that any serious racer, would have an edge and experience over the hamster but i fancied his chances of making a decent fist of it.

They chucked him out on cold tyres, most likely very hard tyres at that because if you look aaround the web these teams like to whore these cars out, so in a day a whole bunch of people could be out in it.
Also track was crap, not really a track in an F1 context at all....oh and Top Gear is an entertainment programmed first.
Hammond playing the fool is his schtick...

They chucked him out on cold tyres, most likely very hard tyres at that because if you look aaround the web these teams like to whore these cars out, so in a day a whole bunch of people could be out in it.
Also track was crap, not really a track in an F1 context at all....oh and Top Gear is an entertainment programmed first.
Hammond playing the fool is his schtick...
Yeah I guess he takes it a bit too far when flipping dragsters and torching electric cars.

You're welcome for a cofee :)

yeah, you're right ...was a bit excited yesterday :(

I edited my post, took a breath, and admit that this ranking is just an occasion to talk and share something we all loves : racing (and simracing), nothing more.
Glad that some people could open my mind sometimes ;)
@++
thanks for the kind answer, man. sorry for my excess cinism. i'm old fart, unfortunaly :D
lets go for that coffee (or beer?) when we met someday.
cheers dude!!

ps.: 100% agreed on your edited post

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years