F1 End of Season Report: Rate the Grid - Felipe Massa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Felipe Massa 3.jpg

The end of an era for one of F1 racings most likeable drivers, now it's the turn of our RD community to rate the season of Felipe Massa, his last one in Grand Prix racing.

Felipe Massa won the hearts of Grand Prix fans the world over with his brave and honourable defeat to Lewis Hamilton in the 2008 World Drivers championship fight, however since that fateful day at Interlargos the plucky and loveable Brazilian has failed to step up on to the top step of the rostrum in Grand Prix racing. Has it been a case of a fading star, or bad luck that presented Felipe Massa with no further opportunities to fight at the very sharpest end of the Formula One grid?

Massa famously walked away from Williams and Formula One at the end of 2016, only to be recalled to the Grove squad for one final shout in 2017. The big question is, how did the now 36-year-old 11 time Grand Prix winner fair in his swansong season of Grand Prix racing?

Vote now to tell us how you rate the final F1 season of Felipe Massa, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Felipe Massa 1.jpg
Rate the Grid - Felipe Massa 5.jpg

Last edited:
He may aswell have retired a number of years ago, was never the same after the spring. Peaked in 2008 and should have won the crown that year, but was robbed. Did what was required of him this year, but nothing more. 5.

Driver Felipe Massa wasn't that great this year. Even Engineer-helper Massa didn't do a whole lot, with a car that actually seemed to get worse through the season. I think the real benefit of having Massa this season was that he acted as a mentor to Lance Stroll. Stroll's got talent, but it was misguided and immature for a good 6 races. I have to think Massa did more to fix that than Claire or Rob. As a driver, 5. As a mentor, 9.

Massa - Fast in qualify, slow in the race, incapable of pushing from start to the end. Clumsy when racing side by side as it happened with Verstappen at Monza where he un gently forced Verstappen out of the track. He's got the talent but lacks mental strength.

As much as I admire Massa on and off track, he's had a rather dull 2017 season.
Performed far better generally than teammate, and is reasonable as a racer but still in the least performing of the Merc-powered cars. Renault, Torro Rosso caught up with Williams in a number of occasions. Was hoping for him to end on a high (like Abu Dhabi 2014).

Well I voted him a 9 because in my view he did the best job with the car he had.

Drove some brilliant races and scored lots of points when really the car shouldn't have done so.

Certainly the 2017 cars suited him more than the look after tyre types last year and before. In the first year in the team with the super sticky (and lasting) pirellis he shone. We were getting back to that this year which helped a lot with his driving style I think.

Probably could've won in Baku without the suspension failure.

The car started to lack development later in the year though.

I'd admit I'm biased anyway as I've always been a fan since 2008 but he did a very solid job this year and he's retired on a high in my view.

Wishing him all the best for 2018 and beyond. He'll certainly be missed from F1. Will be interesting to see how the team manages without him there. Especially as it looks like both drivers will more or less be paying for their rides in '18

Had a consistent start to the season but struggled later on- I feel this is partly just due to him not being the same driver as he used to be, the Williams car this year has left a lot to be desired, without a Mercedes engine I think it would struggle a lot.

• Deleted member 205301

Fast in Quali, and not so in race...generally great starts, but seems to give up in mid-races...had some bad moves (as he always did in F1)...Outperformed his teamate, get the best speed possible with the car...Well, gave him a 7/10, I don't really like the guy, that's not his best f1 season (off course), but he did well : solid drive.
@++

Rated a 7.
Mental toughness has always been lacking with Massa, he seems to have been the eternal #2.
And the Williams has been a dog for a few years now.
I wish him well in his retirement.
:thumbsup:

Williams are covering up a multitude of failures with that Merc engine, they need to shape up or Mr. Stroll will be taking his cash and his son to another team.
Massa for sure was not the same since the spring hit him and also coming so close to being WDC to the point that he actually was WDC for a few mins IIRC....all of that in Brazil no less...fairy tell stuff snatched away..but that's Motorsport for you.
For a guy who has won races in good cars its obvious that had he of been in Botta's seat he could of been 3rd in the WDC (at the very least) with a few race wins....but he was in the Williams..

5-6/10 probably.
With all respect, hasn't done as well as expected for a few years, for a driver who was one of the best.

Botass scored dozens more points while they were in the same team; yet Bottas isn't an exceptional driver at all as is evident by most of his 2017 performances in the Mercedes.

FM was almost equalled this year by a mediocre (at best) new driver in the same car, and that was probably the retirement cue.

All the best man.

A lack of down-force on this year's Williams was partly to blame for Massa's performances.
For all intent, he retired last year.
I give him a 5.5 out of 10.
It's time to 'call it'.
He's had a good run and is well respected.
I think he's genuine and I like him as a sportsman.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back