F1 considering an end to its misogynistic grid girls feature

Well I wondered if it was covered. As I can see it has been and then some. Some not so constructive which seems to be the norm these days:cautious::unsure::(
So, all of us here have or had a Mom. I've got a wife and 19 year old daughter. I know that women are the most beautiful and fantastic creatures in the world. I'm glad my name's not Mom because that's a job for very special people. Now with that out of the way, on to the subject at hand.
F1 without Grid Girls:confused::cautious: Women bring beauty and grace to any occasion they are involved in. I want grid girls. They're beautiful and add to the show. Women use their beauty as a tool in modeling, acting, singing etc. What's wrong with that?? I'm not a gawker, but I do look. Most of us are hardwired that way. As long as your respectful I see nothing wrong with it. After all, men use their brute strength, athleticism and lack of brains (if you're not laughing I can't help you) to do all kinds of things to generate money. The Isle of Man TT is the craziest thing I've ever seen, but I get it and so do the riders. Are both sexes being exploited? No! They choose a path and pursue their goals with the natural abilities they have and they work incredibly hard to maintain the level that will continue to let them earn a living or make a little extra money.
So bring back the women. After 53 years of seeing a man in the mirror I could use a little beauty in my life:)
:unsure:
Would you want for your 19yrs old daughter to be
a) grid girl
b) some world famous sport athlete. in say... swimming, skiing, tennis...
And be honest please.
We are get used to woman in things like "grid girl" so much that we don't really look at them. We look at them as an objects. You can all admit it or not. But it's the truth.
And most here are like this "I don't see what's wrong with it??", "it's always been like that"... Yes, even Lauda doesn't seems to see a problem. Or Bernie.
Well yes, sadly it was always like that.

But things get change, motorsport has changed - a lot. Safety now compared to "safety" 50 years ago - a light year apart. Cars. Tracks. But no, don't touch that - grid girls should stay. That's holly ground.
You people aren't just being honest. You know how you look at them. If that's ok and they're "there just to help everything look prettier" then let's, why not, bring that custom to football matches and instead of games we have now where players enter the stadium holding kids hands - let them bring a top model.
It sure will look prettier, isn't it. Why let motorsport to have a monopoly over it.

I know many of us, like my friend Bobby here, are like "...I could use a little beauty in my life" but look closely, and look around. Don't be like Bobby. :geek:
If there's really nothing there then there's internet always and channels made especially for that, let's try not be a classic case of old creeps who peek under the skirts. Here, in motorsport, at least. :)

I love mountain climbing, so now I've start to wonder... should I try to "make it look prettier" and after every climbed, say 500m (and 500m vertical is so damn hard, trust me), post one fine woman, to cheer me up you know... and plant say five of them on top, I mean... it's a damn top of the mountain I've just reach it for God's sake. Now entertain me girls.
Sorry for my english. And for being honest.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with having girls on the grid, the problem is how they are dressed. The attire grid girls are payed to wear is designed to exploit their curvaceous figures and most are models from agencies, its no doubt sexist, but it's a payed job, and the girls make a conscious decision to perform that job knowing they are being payed to look sexy. If it's an issue for some then why not dress them in clothing that doesn't exploit their curves, long legs etc. I see no problem with grid girls wearing jeans or skirt and a normal every day blouse/top, it's no different to what most females wear to go shopping at the supermarket.

To many people in the world making mountains out of mole hills imo.

Last edited:
To many people in the world making mountains out of mole hills imo.

I'm approaching this from a different angle: There's nothing wrong with *not* having grid girls, Nascar and Indycar do just fine without them (and incidentally they upload full races to youtube and are significantly less anal about ticket prices or TV licensing rights but that's beside the point). Funnily enough, our conclusions are still the same :p!

We are get used to woman in things like "grid girl" so much that we don't really look at them. We look at them as an objects. You can all admit it or not. But it's the truth.
Your opinion is fine. Please let me have mine. You think we're lying or denying something? That would be like me saying that maybe people that think there is a problem with it and us is because they are projecting their inner most thoughts onto others. That would be absurd since we don't know one another. Does that make sense? I would never assume anything about another person I just met over a keyboard and mouse.
Don't be like Bobby. :geek:
Yes sir. Don't be like me. I want us all to be ourselves. Have a good day.

Oh no. It's been mentioned. I'm born and raised in Nascar country........can't get...........a....way from...........it........noooooooooooooo:p:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: I just like poking fun at myself.

You make a great point, but we do have the Monster Energy girls at said races. I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but having grown up playing ball and in locker rooms, I like a little diversity:thumbsup:

That makes no sense to me. Off course evolution is extremely complicated, it's why there's so much biodiversity. Why would that be an argument *for* creationism?

It's not. It's an argument against evolution. They claim it's not real science, just as you have, they claim it's complicated and therefore we can't draw any conclusions, just as you have, all because they don't want to accept the conclusion. Forgive me, but I see a lot of similarities between feminism and religion.

Anyway, we're pretty far off-topic here and I think we're just going to have to politely agree to disagree about the science surrounding gender preferences.

The (racing) men are taking the risk to be killed during their work. The (modeling) women are taking the risk to be found attractive during their work.

F1: Let's ban the women.

Would you rather they took away the racing instead? Is the racing a curious side show to the real event of latex watching?

It's not. It's an argument against evolution. They claim it's not real science, just as you have, they claim it's complicated and therefore we can't draw any conclusions, just as you have, all because they don't want to accept the conclusion. Forgive me, but I see a lot of similarities between feminism and religion.

Anyway, we're pretty far off-topic here and I think we're just going to have to politely agree to disagree about the science surrounding gender preferences.

Thing is - I am not saying that, I'm quoting the scientists from the sources linked by Patrick in this thread. I'm not questioning the science, I am questioning whether or not you have actually read it, whether you comprehend the nuances. I genuinely get the impression that you haven't really been reading what I've typed at all, as you keep harking back to religion and feminism. This is why I hadn't really responded to most of your last post.

And yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree here, but I honestly think we could have had a far more productive discussion if you didn't have such an axe to grind.

Thing is - I am not saying that, I'm quoting the scientists from the sources linked by Patrick in this thread. I'm not questioning the science, I am questioning whether or not you have actually read it, whether you comprehend the nuances. I genuinely get the impression that you haven't really been reading what I've typed at all, as you keep harking back to religion and feminism. This is why I hadn't really responded to most of your last post.

And yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree here, but I honestly think we could have had a far more productive discussion if you didn't have such an axe to grind.

To be blunt, a fair bit of your posts have contained, what is in my opinion, feminist dogma and myths. I've been charitable in simply ignoring those parts and focusing on the thing that I found interesting, which is your objection to reading a scientific study and drawing a conclusion. Scientists and psychologists have no issue drawing the same conclusion that I have here. That is to say that males and females differ in a fundamental biological manner that influences their choices.

So yes, In response to your question, I have read the studies in this thread. It's just that I don't find the topic that complicated nor confusing, and I'm comfortable drawing a conclusion as stated above.

I think we've hijacked the thread a bit here, so if you'd like to continue the conversation in private, I'd be happy to entertain that.

This is the thing they should aim for! Bring young karters from the host country to be the ones holding the numbers on the grid, let them do it in team-wear for the driver they get assigned. Or even let them use their own race-suits. It will be a huge thing for the kids, and just fuel the passion for motorsport and dream of getting to F1.
Just look at all the football (soccer) mascots, it's a big thing for those kids.

Somewhat accurate prediction there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42950040

I think it's a great idea as a reward and recognition scheme, with some early experience and exposure for those selected.

Formula 1 is to replace 'grid girls' with a new programme called 'grid kids' this season.

F1 bosses plan to use budding racing drivers "to make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones".

The sport said last week it would no longer be using female promotional models on the starting grid.

The children used will be competitors in karting or junior categories, chosen by national motorsport authorities.

What's the difference between female models on the cover of glossy magazines, female models half naked strutting the catwalks of Paris and New York and F1 Grid girls? They are all women doing what they want to do. They are jobs, professions even life goals. And some feminist PC do gooders want to take all that away in the name of what exactly? What is the point of it all? What's next on your hit lists?
slN3vUU.jpg

or
ohY8USj.jpg

or
K1rwtFb.jpg

What is the difference? Do you want them all unemployed? Do you want to restrict their life style choices? Just what do you want?

Last edited:
What's the difference between female models on the cover of glossy magazines, female models half naked strutting the catwalks of Paris and New York and F1 Grid girls? They are all women doing what they want to do. They are jobs, professions even life goals. And some feminist PC do gooders want to take all that away in the name of what exactly? What is the point of it all? What's next on your hit lists?
slN3vUU.jpg

or
ohY8USj.jpg

or
K1rwtFb.jpg

What is the difference? Do you want them all unemployed? Do you want to restrict their life style choices? Just what do you want?

Well, me personally I don't WANT anyone unemployed and I would never have campaigned to have grid girls removed from F1. I think the subject I put on this thread was perhaps too strong and maybe deliberately provocative, sorry about that.

But personally I think they bring nothing and to have 'grid kids' is much more in context and consistent with the environment.

I agree with you, the difference is small. I can't pretend to know much about fashion but maybe the difference is about need. You need a woman to model womens' clothing in a lifelike way. You don't need a woman to hold up a board to tell a driver where to stop his car.

So why not have a solution more consistent with the sport?

Say if there had never been grid girls, and this year F1 decided they needed someone or something to hold up boards to show drivers where to stop, would it make more sense to have young drivers do it for experience and exposure (tennis ball kids, football ball kids etc) or have some models from an agency do it?

Do "grid girls" try to sell any clothes ? :O_o:
Or steer fashion in some certain direction for that year/season ?
No, they promote "merchandise" that have/should got nothing in common with their half naked bodies.

This a bit reminds me of the fact that children shouldn't be used for advertising a products that has nothing to do with children themselves.
Like, I don't know... cars, mobile phones, alcohol, mortgages,...
So this is similar stuff. Car racing has nothing with their half-naked bodies.
World top modeling has Andy.

Not that I approve those skeleton models and that "fashion" they promote. I actually think they just wasting their/our time and should all get a real job but... that's for another thread perhaps. Or better let's not talk about that. :speechless:

"Do you want them all unemployed?" :laugh: Oh Andy...
some "job" they got...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42950040
Is that it ??
I'm just afraid some freaky accident, God forbid, may happen.
It's not exactly the same to have children on football match and F1 race. :unsure:

Last edited:
What's the difference between female models on the cover of glossy magazines, female models half naked strutting the catwalks of Paris and New York and F1 Grid girls?

Models on catwalk are showing off/marketing the actual clothes.
Covers on magazines are tacky.

However, the main difference, is that the owners of F1 do not want F1 to be associated with it. That is the main, and important difference.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back