• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

F1 2017 Race Predictions Challenge

Discussion in 'XB1 | F1 2017 Championship' started by Peter Hooper, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Here's the deal... Make your predictions for each race this season. The following are the options...

Pole Position:

1st:
    2nd:
    3rd:
    10th:

Fastest Lap:

Points to be attributed as follows::

Pole Position - 1 point.
    1st - 3 points
    2nd - 2 points
    3rd - 1 point
    10th - 3 points

Fastest Lap - 1 point.

All three podium positions correct - 5 bonus points. Plus an extra 2 points for getting 10th correct as well.

Run the card and get everything right - 15 points bonus.

Please prefix your predictions with the race they are for. Thankyou.

2. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    Pole Position: Kimi Raikkonen
    1st: Lewis Hamilton
    2nd: Kimi Raikkonen
    3rd: Max Verstappen
    10th: Carlos Sainz
    Fastest Lap: Sebastian Vettel

• Like Like x 1
  3. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Melbourne
    Pole Position: Lewis Hamilton

1st: Lewis Hamilton
    2nd: Sebastian Vettel
    3rd: Valtteri Bottas
    10th: Esteban Ocon

Fastest Lap: Kimi Raikonnen

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    Ocon huh? So, a lucky 10th place finish in the We'll see. It's hard to see how this merry-go-round of unqualified/unproven/unpaid drivers stops, but I sure hope it does, for F1's sake.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  5. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    No real idea what this kid is like in all honesty, he had some decent results in lower formula but my prediction is more based on the team as I fancy the Force India around Oz and Perez I am confident will be finishing higher.

6. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    Not in my above predictions, but I don't see how replacing Hulkenberg with Ocon can be anything but bad. Fortunately, drivers have little to do with a teams success. And I suppose Ocon is at least competent.

7. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,565
    I have to assume the predictions need to be made before Qualifying starts?

Melbourne
    Pole: Hamilton

P1: Hamilton
    P2: Bottas
    P3: Ricciardo
    P10: Alonso

Fastest Lap: Hamilton

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    To be fair to FI Hulkenburg made the decision to go to Renault rather than being shown the door by the team. Ocon is very much untested and looked out of his depth a few times last season after replacing Haryanto but did improve and finished much better. Difficult to tell in that Manor though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Yes, no entries received with a time stamp here after the session starts.

10. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    Premium

Ratings:
    +4,565
    and no edited posts will count. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matthew Booth

Matthew Booth

Ratings:
    +2,684
    Pole Position: Valteri Bottas

1st: Seb Vettel
    2nd: Hamilton
    3rd: Bottas
    10th: Grosjean

Fastest Lap: Bottas

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    So, Ocon, the "untested rookie who looked out of his depth" would be a clearly superior choice to Montoya, Rossi, Ekstrom, Sam Byrd, or Sirotkin. Any of those would be cheap, but then cheap is not free I guess.

Physically, F1 is not that hard. Which makes it all the more perplexing to me why they don't promote women. Is it cultural? Is it the management? Will Liberty help? That Hulk eye test I sent you is very interesting when it talks about the skills needed to be a good driver. The U.S. Air force has long figured out that women are better with reaction times, and just as good as with spatial relationships, coordination and temper. You will never convince me that the exclusion of women from F1 is because they can't be faster than a man. If they can dogfight with a man in an F14, 'nuff said.

13. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Didn't say it was the right choice... but it is what it is and if he comes home tenth then i'll be happy.

I would certainly welcome a woman to F1. It would be a refreshing change to see :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    I now you would, but why has it not happened? It happened long long ago in IndyCar. And that led to Danica, who is too small, honestly, but her talents are equal to any man. I'd put her up against any F1 driver in an equal car on an oval or less physically demanding road course.

Even the feeder series' in Europe have no women. Maybe touring car, but zzzzzz (except for BTCC). Truthfully, I tink it has zero to do with the fans, many of whom are women. Bernie was a real bastard when it came to this issue. A real prick.

It could change the worldview in Asia, even. There, women are treated very differently, but IMO, not worse. Although you may get banned in Bahrain...no big loss at all. lol.

15. Carlos Jimenez

Carlos Jimenez

Ratings:
    +2,447
    Pole Position: Lewis Hamilton
    1st: Hamilton
    2nd: Vettel
    3rd: Ricciardo
    10th: Perez
    Fastest Lap: Sebastian Vettel

16. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Well it did happen originally back in the 50's, and then in the mid 70's when one lady raced a full season but since then there have only been a handful of races where a female has competed.

I am surprised that a small team have not got on board with it at some point as the publicity they would get from having a female driver on board would be phenomenal.

17. Trevor Montgomery

Trevor Montgomery

Ratings:
    +97
    Pole Position: Vettel

1st: Vettel
    2nd: Hamilton
    3rd: Raikonnen
    10th: Sainz

Fastest Lap: Vettel

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    According to Wiki, only two women ever qualified to run a race were the 50s one and the 70s one. The 50s one ran five races and qualified for three, of which two were retirements. She finished 10th at Spa in 1958 with 10 cars running. I don't think that counts other than to give the Italians props. At least they tried. The 1977 full season woman entered 11 of the 14 races that year and finished five with 0.5 points to show. After that, just tokens. But many don't realize that Janet attempted to drive Indy in 1976, thus inspiring Ms. Lombardi. Janet qualified for Indy the next year. Janey only ran the 500, but that's because she ran a full time NASCAR schedule in 1977. She finished 23rd in points with 6th as a high position. St James also has two victories at the 24 hours of Daytona and one win at the 12 hours of Sebring.

There have been 11 women enter the Indy 500, with the first in 1977. but it took IndyCar a long time to get a full time driver, unlike F1. But it was not lack of trying, I just think those women wanted to run tin tops too, as most did back then.

What Danica did was prove that women could compete well and seriously at the top level for many seasons in a row. That was a first. And I think there are many waitingin the wings. We will see a World Champion before long

19. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,364
    Don't forget as well that points were at a premium back then as well and just getting a drive let alone a regular one was an achievement at a time when women were still considered second class citizens. It definitely counts in so far as she was a confirmed driver for those races. Nobody is close to getting a full time drive in F1 and its doubtful they will for some time.

There won't be a female champion any time soon... Its taken this long to get a driver regularly in Indy \ NASCAR and as much as I applaud and like Danika she isn't going to get a championship. No one else is getting much of a look in there either.

Tin tops are where they have the greatest chance over here, remember the young girl I told you about last year, 17 years old and talented as hell in that formula and a champion already. That's where her passion is, not open wheelers because the opportunities are just greater.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. Gareth Jones

Gareth Jones

Ratings:
    +700
    Pole: Vettel

1st: Hamilton
    2nd: Vettel
    3rd: Raikkonen
    10th: Grosjean

Fastest Lap: Bottas

• Like Like x 1