F1 2017 F1 2017 Beta Access up for Grabs

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters F1 2017 Beta programme.jpg

Codemasters have today opened up places for the upcoming Beta testing programme for F1 2017, with 300 slots each available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players of the game.

The long standing British developers have confirmed the new Formula One 2017 title, the official videogame of the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, has been in development for a considerable period of time already and they are now in a position to open up beta testing positions for 900 people across the three release platforms (300 each platform).

Codemasters followed a similar route with last year's return to form release of F1 2016, however after finding the benefits seemingly directly affecting the popularity of the previous game, Codemasters have pledged to further expand their casting call for the new project.

"Last year, we ran a very successful programme of community testing and beta tests, in which you gave us some incredible feedback that helped us shape the game. We’re very excited to announce that they were so successful that this year we’re not only widening their scope, but we’re starting the process earlier as well" Social Media Manager Jenny said in a statement from Codemasters.
In order to apply for a place in the new beta testing programme you will have to register your details on this link HERE, where you will be required to have a Codemasters forum account, working email address and of course a desire to help shape development of the only officially licenced Formula One game available in the marketplace today.

No doubt with a title that appeals to a broad gaming audience wider than just motorsport fans demand for a place on the programme will be far greater than the allocated 300 slots per platform, so if you want in on the action before anyone else, act fast or miss out!

Formula One 2017 will be the eight Formula One title by Codemasters since taking over rights to the franchise back in 2010. The game will be released for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC during 2017.

Check out the Formula One 20** sub forum for all the latest news relating to the F1 series of games. We host regular racing events, have a strong archive of downloadable content and cover all the latest news with regards to all the games within the franchise. If you want a place to go and discuss Codemasters Formula One games, then head on over and get yourself in on the conversation!

Will you be applying for a place in the 2017 beta programme? Are you looking forward to F1 2017? Do you think the game could be the best yet for the series? What would you like to see included in the new title? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
And it's not like Codemasters hasn't done great games. I remember when the first Colin McRae came out

Man that was a great time. I literally went through about 5 pairs of boxer shorts on release day with that game :roflmao:

Even now, playing that for the first time (in comparison to the gaming competition of the time) was the biggest single leap forward in anything I've even seen since. Properly ground breaking stuff. Amazing.

Personally I don't see why the FIA / FOM or whatever are so bloody keen to keep the Formula One licence exclusive anyway.
:)

not sure if they really sell licenses exclusively to a gamedeveloper, looks more like codemasters wants to be exclusive and therfore pay the extra ca$h IMO....i mean, who is even capable of having the ca$h, the interest and the knowledge to develop a F1 Simulation for a wide audience? EA probably (minus knowledge :D)

Yeah pretty much everything Reiza do is golden imho. They really, really, really know how to make a good simulation. I'm absolutely shaking with excitement to see what they have on offer for "Reiza 2017". I so wish they would get more mainstream recognition tho, it feels unfair how under acknowledged by the wider world AMS is.

It actually makes me laugh sometimes. People in general keep saying "oh man, how many times do I have to buy X big name track in 5 different sims. Its always the same old same old" then in the next breath they don't want to know about AMS because it's all obscure Brazilian stuff no one has heard of!! You can't win :D Personally one of the biggest things I love about Reiza and AMS / GSCE etc is the very fact they cover a range of stuff I'm less familiar with. That Brazilian StockCar series they do and the truck series is simply outstanding.

Colin McRae when it first came out... man that was a game. I couldn't wait to get to the shop where I had told the guy a month before to save me a copy. He thought I was mental.
That 10 minute bus ride home from the store to my house, where I had taken the day off work, felt like an hour. I remember reading the whole manual in anticipation of what I believed was going to be an awesome game.

Just to think back then I was on a lowly PlayStation with pad and it was epic.
Just wish I'd known about PC and proper wheels etc. back then. Although I remember we played Geoff Grammond F1 on our Reuters terminal at work on keyboard and even that seemed special... lol

Even now, playing that for the first time (in comparison to the gaming competition of the time) was the biggest single leap forward in anything I've even seen since. Properly ground breaking stuff. Amazing.

Exactly. That was as you said ground braking. At the time you were amazed how they could make something so "real". For the first time you were actually in the car. Graphics and all the rest aside (which also was a huge step forward at it's time) they defined what a great car game was all about - the sensation of being inside and controlling a real car. If only someone at Codemasters would take a look in the rear view mirror and realize that is the essence of a great racing game - whether it's a simulation or just a fun arcady game - the feeling of beeing there.

Couldn't agree more to both of the above posts :) I feel exactly the same.

At the end of the day, and this is just me personally, I race in sims for the simple reason that I can't do it in real life. That's due to a number of factors:

• I'm a crap driver.
  • I'm skint
  • I'm 6 foot 6 tall
  • I've got a family and other "grown up" commitments that prevent me from doing it
  • I'm a crap driver.
  • I'm a crap driver.

So basically I go sim racing because it's the closest thing I can get to the real deal. If you give me a sim that makes me feel like I'm actually in the car, that I can believe in and immerse myself for however long I'm playing, then I'm a seriously happy boy.

By today's standards CMR is a pile of :poop: but man, at that time I was sooo Colin McRae it was unreal. Me and a mate actually decided to go do some rallying on the back of that game it was that good! (Fun fact, we never actually got to do rallying as we found it expensive, and I'm a crap driver). ;)

Last edited:
Personally I don't see why the FIA / FOM or whatever are so bloody keen to keep the Formula One licence exclusive anyway.

In my opinion fine, keep it with Codies and let them make the games they make, massively popular on console with all the bells and whistles like it has now, and reasonably popular on PC too. Then let a serious simulation developer have a licence for PC only for example, where they can create a no-holes barred full on 100% difficult as fek simulation of the Formula One season. Then everyone wins :) Console gamers get the massive sales & revenues from the licence with a nice polished semi-sim game including driver likenesses and all that fancy career stuff, and PC gamers get a full on next best thing to doing it in real life style simulation that makes your hair turn grey and gives you goose bumps every time to manage to nail Eau Rouge flat on a full tank of petrol.

Now that PC game probably wouldn't make anyone a multi millionaire, but man would it do Formula One as a sport a whole load of good in terms of pleasing its target audience - the youngish IT / tech savvy financially stable crowd, which lets be honest is probably the PC gaming crew we get on here, as we all know its not exactly dirt cheap to sim race, and I would suspect a good portion of the "main" sim racing audience are between 20 and 45, with a reasonable income and likely to spend money on motorsport related stuff. Probably.

That would be my dream, but I'm probably having a wee wee in the wind on that hope... :)
How i miss the days where we had a GP4, EA/ISI F1 Challenge and Sony's F1(plus a whole bunch of crappy titles, who are welcome to try BTW) coming out on the same year and competing with each other.

Hopefully the new FOM administration will see the light, Bernie only saw gaming as a way to make a few extra bucks, F1 2016 was a solid, well made game, i won't take that away from Codemasters, but... it wasn't the game i personally wanted.

Yay, I don't have to write it on 2016 thread ;D
Again registered for PC, hopefully I get access again like last year - last year was pretty fun to do.
Also, people didn't mention, but there's also a custom helmet competition happening (for 2017):
<snip> Have you ever wanted to have your work featured in a new Codemasters F1 game? We’re giving you a chance to design a helmet to feature in the final game!
Want in? Great! All you need to do is download the template here, and you can start designing. There are a couple of guidelines you need to stick to: firstly, please don’t use any design that’s based, or uses, any existing real world or licensed designs, logos or brand wording and don’t use anything that’s offensive or obscene. We’d also like you to use only red, green, blue and black – this is for colour tinting purposes. You can find the full terms and conditions below, so all you need to do is scroll down for all the relevant information.
We’ll pick the best designs, which will appear in-game. In addition, we’ll be sending some lovely F1 2016 game merchandise to all those we pick.
You’ve got until the 24th February to get your entries in to us, and you can email them to competitions@codemasters.com, tweet us at @Formula1game, or print your design off and post it to us at this address <snip>

More info in the blog http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/02/testing-testing/

Please please please release a vr dlc for f1 2017.
I don't care if you charge an extra €20 for it having just today sampled dirt rally in vr.

Simply unbelievable.... my tiny little brain is blown away after playing dirt rally in the snow in the Monte Carlo hills :inlove:

I hope someone takes that license away from Codemaster. :D But not before they let me try the beta.

F1 2016 plays and feels better... with a gamepad, than any previous Codemasters F1 games, plus career mode is back.
Graphics, AI, track/car physics, career, safety car and a lot of content well made.

But the there are some really annoying cons/bugs.

No support for TrackIR 5, playing with close up FOV makes it imposible to look at the apex, left/right and mirrors without TrackIR, unless you use 3 screens or VR ofc.
Fanatec's Universal Hub for Xbox One buttons can't all get custom remapped, that some are static set in game makes no sense! As example, custom binding for Pit Limiter?
F1 2016 FFB lacks detail compared to F1 2013/2014 with a CSW v.2
On top the game looses FFB and the wheel range when restarting tests etc..

At the moment I can't see any reason to buy F1 2017.

Last edited:
agree = Reiza , have you tried the 1995 f1 pack Paul? wow the sound and feel. thats whats needed in the f1 games, good ai allot of this is already in the low budget game they just need the funding to improve the overall quality of the game, but ill take ams any day over the last few f1 games
where can i find the pack. You are talkin ab out skins, or is it a 1995 carpack?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%