F1 2016 F1 2016 Game Previews from Hockenheim

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2016 Hockenheim - Ferrari.jpg

The German Grand Prix made its return to the Hockenheimring this weekend after a two year hiatus. To mark the occasion Codemasters have revealed a few new teaser images from the upcoming F1 2016 game, showcasing several cars around the German venue.

With a proposed release date for the latest Formula One title from Codemasters fast approaching, only 19 days remain until PC and console gamers can get their hands on the new title and previews from the studio are arriving thick and fast to whet appetites prior to public launch on the 19th August this year.

The latest preview images show off a selection of this year's Grand Prix grid in action around the German track, highlighting once again significantly improved visuals from the slightly disappointing 2015 release. One thing I noticed that does cause a little concern is the slightly mixed up running order as can be seen in the image below:

F1 2016 Hockenheim - Mercedes.jpg

Looking at the image it appears to show a Manor, McLaren and Sauber car mixing company with the considerably more competitive Mercedes of Nico Rosberg and Williams of Valtteri Bottas during an opening lap fight on the Hockenheim circuit. Fans for Formula One who have followed the action on track this season will be well aware that these cars don't usually share the same piece of tarmac during a Grand Prix, and this leaves question marks for me as to whether F1 2016 has the right artificial intelligence and relative team pace coded in the new title. Of course the image above could simply be an in game capture from a random starting grid race, but that picture will raise concerns for players who wish to enjoy an authentic offline experience with the game. Time will tell if these concerns are justified or simply over analysing the available images published by the studio.

Check out the F1 2016 game sub forum here at RaceDepartment. The place to check out the latest news regarding the upcoming new Formula One game from Codemasters. Discuss the title with your fellow F1 fans and check out the latest preview articles today.

F1 2016 Hockenheim - RedBull.jpg F1 2016 Hockenheim - Renault.jpg F1 2016 Hockenheim - Sauber.jpg F1 2016 Hockenheim - Williams.jpg

More previews from the game are here, do you think you will be making a purchase come release day? Are you new to the F1 game series, or a die-hard follower of the franchise? Is this a last chance for Codies to get it right? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I can probably see me buying this, even though every bone in my body is telling me not to until it goes into a special sale! :laugh::)

The detail in the modelling as usual looks really good but compared to something like Assetto Corsa the graphics always look slightly cartoonish to me.

Anyway, hopefully Codeys will have learnt their lessons from last time and release something that's more the finished product :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm the same as you on this one Andrew. I have full expectation that if i buy it I'll play it for 10 minutes and shelve it with the others, so why pay full price. But I know that the curiosity in me will get the best of me and I'll end up pressing purchase on release day!

I'm a sucker for these things, I just can't help myself!!!

Last years title put this in "buy in the bargain bin" territory. Sure looks it's going to be better then last years and the RPG aspect of the career mode will probably be fun but I'm holding off to see how well it'll play with a wheel and what the FFB's like before I commit. People claimed 2015 had better driving then the previous titles but I still feel Codies simcade F1's are harder to drive then Reiza and Kunos much more simmy options.

That said I sure hope it turns out well, the career mode looks like it could be real fun.

Can't remember last time I bought a F1 game at release.
Got both F1 2015 and 2014 for under $20 a few months after release, - they go on sale fast after the first batch of customers have paid full price.
Besides, you have to wait a few months before the games are properly patched anyway...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the performance index of the grid will be based off of the Spanish GP at launch. There will be updates as the season goes on, but I believe that's where the original performance will be taken from.

Not sure what's going in the pics above (both Ferraris ahead of the Mercs and Reb Bulls? lol). At least the models look great as usual. :p Really looking forward to it!

As a die hard Formula 1 fan of 42 years I personally want this to be as good as F1 2013 was and I'll be happy. Even happier if its better.
Looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

Is DX12 Windows 10 only?

Considering the number of people I know that still game with Windows 7 I don't think that Codeys would risk it.

They were supposedly going to patch 2015 for dx12 but ran out of time, so you'd think it would definitely be in this years game. Still, it will take more than that before I buy, as still not read any feedback from the multitude of 'youtubers' on FFB and wheel feel.

Doubt it would be dx12 only though.

Is this a last chance for Codies to get it right?

They always make well, bring to ''fanboy community'' an arcade & easy GAME, where you can drive an F1 car even whit a gamepad :D

Seems this year the graphic's are better, like always happens, not expect much more

It is really funny how fast people forget. Every single new release everyone was upset but next year everything is forgotten and will be buyed again. This is going on from 2010 until today!!! And imho THIS is the root cause that CM is not going to improve anything... and patch the game on and on after release that it is playable maybe 3-4 months after release. I will never understand this.

If we, the customers, didn't forget what unfinished games full of bugs CM has released, only one year, noone hat bought the game and they maybe would think about how to release the next one. But unfortunately people forget and buy in the dark pre-release again and again. What a pity...

It is really funny how fast people forget. Every single new release everyone was upset but next year everything is forgotten and will be buyed again. This is going on from 2010 until today!!! And imho THIS is the root cause that CM is not going to improve anything... and patch the game on and on after release that it is playable maybe 3-4 months after release. I will never understand this.

If we, the customers, didn't forget what unfinished games full of bugs CM has released, only one year, noone hat bought the game and they maybe would think about how to release the next one. But unfortunately people forget and buy in the dark pre-release again and again. What a pity...

It's a very valid point and I agree with you. I doubt that I will purchase it on day of release but will wait to see what appears on here. I trust feedback from users on here a great deal more than reviews on other gaming websites.

I give CM a little bit of slack if there are some bugs on release because in the PC world there are thousands of possible hardware combinations and it's impossible to test every one but they do need to get their act together by making sure that this years release is more of a finished product. Last years certainly wasn't, it was in a bit of a mess.

I think it was a few years ago now that I saw a development interview about a previous version of the game and it struck me just how much they dismissed the PC version of the game. The entire article was about console versions and the PC version was almost like an afterthought. It had one update during it's life and that didn't fix any of the major problems (like you mention above).

Anyway, fingers crossed the 2016 version will be a good 'un :thumbsup:

I agree and i do not forget. Im tired buying expensive games and shelf them after an hour of teeth grinding.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back