F1 2012 Total Overhaul

My "starting line" is at the end of eau rouge...exactly in the point when the drs return available. This "trick" help me to have the same condition in all the tests.

P.s. I also think that time trial is not good but i've used only for a test...

okay, I alwas tested on a normal lap, since that is the only way to compare to the real world top speeds.
But you are right I made the DRS a little stronger at spa cause I couldn't come close (+3 to 4 tenths) to buttons pole time 2012.

I didn't test time trial, and I didn't make them for time trial. I think the time trial mode is crap .. but that's a personal opinion.
maybe it's a bug, but in spa you should be able to reach 325 to 330 kph at the end of kemmel straight with open DRS and KERS. Maybe the KERS-effect is really that strong ...
I won't be able to do anything until new year, but I am open for suggestions :)

Kristian Nenov: What times and topspeeds (with and without DRS) did you reach (quick race mode of course in quali) in melbourne and montreal driving RedBull or McLaren?

Well uhm.

Melbourne: Top speed 316 km/h. Laptime: 1.25.3. But that was a really poor lap as I got blocked from the AI a few times.
Canada: Top speed: 319 km/h (could reach more but that was my setup..) / Laptime: don't really remember... 13.2 or 13.3 or something like that.. And again, could be better..

Both with McLaren. Haven't tested RedBull. Don't even have a cockpit camera for it. :D

EDIT:
Canada: 1.12.9 for McLaren.

Also did a race with Caterham and I had a hard time finishing first! Finally Legend AI doesn't seem that slow. If you edit the braking points and cornering speed of the AI - you're gonna be golden. As I'm way too lazy to do so this year. :D

What's the difference between fe.ctf and fe_trackname.ctf? seems that only the second type of ctf files produce an effect in the game...
In my opinion drs effect in Texas have to be higher...same as the top speed (I've changed the value in the database to 200 mph and seems perfect).
Merry Christmas!

well for texas I watched the race, and hamilton hit the limiter at 313 while passing vettel.
will have a look at it though.
Kristian Nenov: try the default setup. I know that with custom setups the car will be faster, but since I don't know which of the many possible setups is the fastest and I wanted to create files that are fun for many people I chose to make standard setup the one I base everything on.

well for texas I watched the race, and hamilton hit the limiter at 313 while passing vettel.
will have a look at it though.
Kristian Nenov: try the default setup. I know that with custom setups the car will be faster, but since I don't know which of the many possible setups is the fastest and I wanted to create files that are fun for many people I chose to make standard setup the one I base everything on.

Well I was playing the Caterham with standard setup, not custom. McLaren - custom. And I'm going to try this standard setup because it seems it's pretty fast LOL. If it's faster than my custom setups.. It's gonna be .. No comment.. Because I spent maybe 10 hours in game trying setups... :D

This is my new drs (less powerful) version (only German GP for now).
I need some testers. Make me know if need some variations...
For me now it's (almost) perfect!

IMPORTANT: RENAME THE FILE WITH .RAR EXTENSION, OPEN AND OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL CODEMASTERS FILES

Attachments

• drs sciffo.doc
    13.8 KB · Views: 193
For RowingAce and anyone else interested…

I had extensively modded car performance in F1 2012 a few months back, and then I lost it all in a hard drive reformat. I’m starting again, but this time I’m taking more notes of what I’m doing.

Here is a graph I’ve compiled of the average top-ten cars' speeds through the trap at each circuit:

jn1Qa.jpg

From this I’ve found there are three major “classes” of top speed. First, the slowest (high aero) are found at Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, and Singapore; 300 km/h or less. Second, the highest (low aero) is clearly Monza at over 340 km/h. And third, the group that comprises the fifteen other circuits that average around 310-315 km/h (medium aero).

First I reduced the overdone slipstream effect (aero_slipstream_air_density_scale up from 0.8 to 0.9) and the DRS effect (aero_wing_rear_drag up from 0.6 to 0.8) for each car. Then I standardized the coefficient of drag (aero_cd_min; individually for each team) to either the value found in *monaco.ctf (for “high” above), *melbourne.ctf (for “medium”) or *monza.ctf (for “low”, usually left alone). Finally, adjust final_drive to suit the new aero.

The other thing I’m experimenting with is the car balance with the default setup. With default values, I think we all know there is massive understeer. So I’ve changed grip_front from 1.0 to 1.05 (for comparison, grip_rear is 1.1). I get a much better balance without having to “distort” the car setup; it simply enables you to dial in oversteer or understeer equally when starting with a default setup (makes sense, when starting from 6 on a 1-to-11 scale).

I have not, to date, looked at any track or AI performance files. I also have not had too much luck reducing KERS power without also (unintentionally) increasing KERS capacity. I’ve only tried to get car performance more in line with actual 2012 numbers. I have not paid attention to final lap times because they may be more dominated by the values in the track and AI performance files.

RowingAce, I am gladly willing to aid in your efforts if you need. I think I have the car performance very accurate for what we saw during the 2012 season.

For RowingAce and anyone else interested…

I had extensively modded car performance in F1 2012 a few months back, and then I lost it all in a hard drive reformat. I’m starting again, but this time I’m taking more notes of what I’m doing.

Here is a graph I’ve compiled of the average top-ten cars' speeds through the trap at each circuit:

jn1Qa.jpg

From this I’ve found there are three major “classes” of top speed. First, the slowest (high aero) are found at Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, and Singapore; 300 km/h or less. Second, the highest (low aero) is clearly Monza at over 340 km/h. And third, the group that comprises the fifteen other circuits that average around 310-315 km/h (medium aero).

First I reduced the overdone slipstream effect (aero_slipstream_air_density_scale up from 0.8 to 0.9) and the DRS effect (aero_wing_rear_drag up from 0.6 to 0.8) for each car. Then I standardized the coefficient of drag (aero_cd_min; individually for each team) to either the value found in *monaco.ctf (for “high” above), *melbourne.ctf (for “medium”) or *monza.ctf (for “low”, usually left alone). Finally, adjust final_drive to suit the new aero.

The other thing I’m experimenting with is the car balance with the default setup. With default values, I think we all know there is massive understeer. So I’ve changed grip_front from 1.0 to 1.05 (for comparison, grip_rear is 1.1). I get a much better balance without having to “distort” the car setup; it simply enables you to dial in oversteer or understeer equally when starting with a default setup (makes sense, when starting from 6 on a 1-to-11 scale).

I have not, to date, looked at any track or AI performance files. I also have not had too much luck reducing KERS power without also (unintentionally) increasing KERS capacity. I’ve only tried to get car performance more in line with actual 2012 numbers. I have not paid attention to final lap times because they may be more dominated by the values in the track and AI performance files.

RowingAce, I am gladly willing to aid in your efforts if you need. I think I have the car performance very accurate for what we saw during the 2012 season.
This is awesome! Especially the documentation and notes you are taking. This is great. Keep up the good work. I'm very interested in seeing the end results :)

I've been working on track files the last couple of days, am half way through with dry weather.
Cars and database performances are ready, at least in a way I like it ;)

Are you going to release soon? I too have worked on track files, but I used your ai mod for f12011 and it transformed it completely, so would love to try your mod this year again.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back