F1 2012 F1 2012: The End of Modding?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Petar Tasev

Ryder25
If Dirt Showdown is anything to go by, CM are hiding away the database.bin which has been the key files to many great mods around this community. Whether they are doing the same thing in F1 2012 or not, I don't know, but please come support me to make sure that they leave the file like in the past so that we can continue to make great mods:

Thanks!

Sign this thread with a comment below to support us and we will send it to Codemasters

Please CM, As much as we all love the game liveries change and so do drivers, We love our mods but without the file structure being as it is today Mods are not possible and alot of guys who love to mod and do the F1 stuff will be forced onto other games and other Game software makers...

Two of my favourite racing games of all time were Papyrus's Nascar 2003 and EA Sports F1 series. While CM's F1 series is not (yet) in that class, I have been playing and enjoying it since F1 2010 was released.

The great thing about the older games (aside from the great replay system in both games!!) was the fact that they were tweakable. With a little knowledge, you could easily go in and make adjustments to improve the game experience. If the AI were ridiculously fast or slow relative to the player on a track, I could fix it so that the game gave a great race every time. If I got better I would tweak the game again to put my main competitors just out of reach. Heaven.

With 100,000 or more people playing a game its impossible for the settings to suit everyone. F1 2010 had some very odd relativities - I could put my Lotus near the pole in Canada and Italy but I was 3-4 seconds slower per lap than the slowest AI in Spain. This was so bad (at least for me) that I stopped playing. I couldn't tweak it and I lost interest. Then I found a superb AI Tool Kit on this site and I've never looked back. I've been able to tweak the game to give a fantastic race every time.

I am so grateful to the modders who made this tool. It made a so-so game into a wonderful game. I couldn't wait for F1 2011.

This is a plea to Codemasters to let us mod the game like this, track by track and preferably corner by corner.

Better still, build in this sort of tweakability (and a decent replay system - did I mention that before?) into the games. Not cheats but tweaks that enable the player to tailor the game to their own idiosyncratic strengths and weaknesses. Build it so that when racing AI-only you can do all the tweaking you like. When racing online against humans limit it to perhaps just the liveries and the like.

I don't want to cheat. Nor do I want to breach licencing agreements. I just want a great racing game where I can race against realistic and consistently competitive (for me) AI. If its not tweakable, if the code is locked away then that can't happen. I won't buy F1 2012 unless I know there's a way of tweaking it to my liking. There's no point.

No matter how well Codemasters program the game there will be tracks where the AI are absurdly brilliant and out of reach and others where I could lap Alonso in a Marussia. That's no fun.

So - a final plea to the Codemaster's legal team (they're the ones who sap the fun and creativity out of these things) - please find a way to meet your licence obligations while allowing your customers (that's us, remember) to enjoy to the max the game we've bought.:ninja:

"Then I found a superb AI Tool Kit on this site and I've never looked back. I've been able to tweak the game to give a fantastic race every time."

Well said, i have been praying for someone to release this for 2011, however the owners lost the code and gave up. This Tool Kit for F1 2011 would of been unbeatable!!

60091345.gif

Codemasters' business model is based on selling a new game to the same people on a yearly basis and mods are potentially detrimental to that. If the community is able to create brilliant mods which keep the old games fresh with new content/updated car liveries/AI/physics/etc. then the motivation to buy the new games is significantly reduced. If, let's say F1 2011 keeps receiving a constant stream of mods which keep it up to date, why would anyone even want to buy F1 2012, F1 2013, etc.?

That doesn't mean Codemasters are a bunch of greedy, money-grubbing bastards. The license probably costs them a lot of money and developing F1 2010 completely from scratch probably cost them a lot as well. They probably need to keep producing these games for a while in order to turn a profit. And unfortunately, mods don't help them with that.

It works different with, for example the Elder Scrolls games which only get released once every five years or so. Here, mods keep the community alive and attached to the series so they readily buy the next game. With F1, Codemasters probably fears that it doesn't work that way. Might also be why they never fix all the bugs in the game :-/

I thought of asking Steve directly about this guys cos in the Main forum no one is even not caring about it And some body said after i posted the same Message
"No large software firm is gonna openly admit they support modding on a Public Forum. It's naive to ask him that directly. This Forum Community just lost some credibility and hurt any rapport with the Dev team we may have established"
I know that no Company will admit it directly but what Credibility they have Established with Devs
Always Whinging and Crying about the Features which are Not prior Important and Making important features are useless
I really getting sick about the behavior of people in F1 official Forums.

I thought of asking Steve directly about this guys cos in the Main forum no one is even not caring about it And some body said after i posted the same Message
"No large software firm is gonna openly admit they support modding on a Public Forum. It's naive to ask him that directly. This Forum Community just lost some credibility and hurt any rapport with the Dev team we may have established"
I know that no Company will admit it directly but what Credibility they have Established with Devs
Always Whinging and Crying about the Features which are Not prior Important and Making important features are useless
I really getting sick about the behavior of people in F1 official Forums.

Just left a reply to said post on CM's forum.

:roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back