F1 2011 F1 2011 Mechanical Failures, or HOW it would be implemented in the game?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hello everyone,

*OFF TOPIC*
This is my fist post/thread in this forum. What brought me here (and also in the official CM forum) were the problems after the patch. I played F1 2010 soon after its launch in 2010 but after half e season in career I gave up because of the punctures and other bugs that players suffered at that time. In May this year I started playing again as soon as I heard that they released a patch. Another disappointment was waiting for me as I saw the disappearing puddles and I started looking in the forums. I applied the CM fix but after that I realized massive FPS drop as many other users did (note that I am running on an old laptop with Radeon 2400XT 256MB). That lead to my second "give up" from the game :).
*OFF TOPIC*

Enough for me and the off-topic session. Now we all (or at least most of us) look forward to F1 2011. Until now I saw only several screens for the new game and a couple of unofficial news. I would like to draw your attention to the mechanical failures as they were announced (not officially I think). I could say for myself that I am a hard gamer and I have been playing racing games from the early 2000's with the release of F1 2001 and 2002. For everyone that played those game should be clear that the mechanical failures (e.g suspension, brakes, gearbox etc.) were present at that time and the player could choose between time-scaled mechanics for failures and season(this should be according to the current season failures that happened during the races). The second option was... a bit disappointing for me because no one would like to race for a team that finished 3-4 races out of 16. So time-scaled option was the option that I used and as I remember it was taking into account the actual race distance (rescaling the time-scaled mechanical failure systems according to the chosen distance, eg. 25% race distance - 4x times faster tyre wear, 4x times faster engine deterioration etc.)

So I gave that little example just to show you how my thoughts are running when I look into the F1 2011 poster :) We all anticipate that there will be failures not caused by crash but inevitable materials wear and etc. According to me this will bring the game big amount of realism that was absent in F1 2010 (quite a big mistake I think..) So from the example above it is clear that these mechanical failures can be brought into the game. (At least it was possible for 2000 year...) So lets proceed to my actual topic. How would these failure mechanisms be implemented in the game without ruining the gameplay and the pleasure of playing an F1 game.(As it happened with tyre punctures in the pre-patched version F1 2010)

Lets divide them into points:

1. Engine

According to me engine units in F1 sport is the second decisive factor for the performance of the car after the pilot himself. Proper engine units provide more power, more flexible power output and allow more aggressive gearing and higher top speeds. Engine wear is also a big factor. For the lower teams the engines are less durable(in some cases) and usually provide less power and can support less RPM per lap. According to my thoughts engine failures should be the least calculation heavy mechanical failure algorithm needed for a proper gameplay without unrealistic engine crashes and so on. This type of failures could be connected with:
1) Overall engine wear achived before the session
2) Over REVs achieved by the pilot per lap
3) Standard engine unit durability achieved by the team mechanics
AND 4)Engine temperature maintained by the pilot by reaching the REV limits and aggressively shifted gears

Those 4 factors for me are the decisive factors that can be connected with the gameplay and could be taken into account by the pilot(gamer) without ruining the whole fun. I expect further suggestions about how this could happen.

2. Gearbox

Gearboxes were the weak spot for most of the racing cars throughout the years until now. (Maybe someone could remember how Ayrton Senna finished a race in the early 90s stuck on his 6th gear for the last five laps of the race.) This could be very dangerous for the game designers because in my opinion the gearbox durability depends on the design of the gearbox itself. Again aggressive shifting and impacts(from the back) during races could cause such a problem. So... let's say:
1) Aggressive gearing (many gear shifts in a race) could cause the problem
2) Again gearbox durability achieved by the team mechanics
3) Some impacts.(not entirely sure about that, waiting suggestions)

3. Suspension

Suspension glitches and failures during race are very common nowadays. The odd thing about the suspension is that it is connected particularly with the driving style above all. For example if you are racing in a weaker team(let's say in the beginning of your career) the durability of the car would be lower but you could avoid problems with suspension by keeping smooth racing line, avoiding debris or uneven surfaces on the track etc. This could lower your chance of damaging critically your suspension and again avoid ruining the whole gameplay and fun. So as the main causes I could emphasize:
1)Off-the-line driving
2)Aggressiveness by attacking kerbs and uneven surfaces
3)Lesser impacts that could damage your suspension in longer races
Again I am awaiting suggestions.

4. Brakes

Brakes...brakes brakes brakes. In F1 2010 there is something similar as a failure of braking system but not entirely. Temperature fluctuations and brake pressure DO affect brake wear by causing lock-ups but you couldn't actually damage your brakes to the point of permanent lock-up. This MUST be implemented in F1 2011! Brakes are as important as the tyres and if you damage your brakes and perform lock-ups on every turn this affects your tyre wear so they are connected. Personally when playing F1 2010 90% of the time I used high pressure on the brakes. That not only gave me shorted brake distance, therefore faster laps, but I felt the brakes more responsive and my last lap times were as good as the the first (very odd).
1) Usage of brakes
2) Brakes durability again
3) Pressure on the brakes
4) Lesser impacts that could damage the brakes(as well as the suspension and tyres in longer races)
Again - suggestions.
5. Clutch

Mostly the clutch system in F1 is used on the start, in the pits and when re-entering the track after spin. Nowadays the F1 cars use double clutch system on the start and automatic clutch when shifting gears(automatized by the car electronics). I can't remember clearly but I thing in F1 2002 there WAS a clutch failure. I have now idea how this could be implemented in the game again without ruining the fun. Probable solution could be a "chance system" on the start of the race(around 1-2%) that you cant launch properly (As it happened with M.Schumacher in the last race in Monte Carlo). But again this chance should be bigger for lower tier teams and vice versa. The clutch failures during the actual race could be connected with the gearbox ending as bigger shift times or getting you out of the race.
1) Proper chance (which is ODD)
2) Gearbox and electronics connected problems.
As I said, NO IDEA about the clutch failures. Waiting suggestions

6. Punctures

CodeMasters did a great job after the patch. Tyre punctures are less probable and are more connected with the racing line rather than just a chance. I like that. Also I have no clue why CM turned so much attention on the tyres and leaving the game with no other possible way for Do Not Finishing. (Tyres and Accident actually) Marbles and racing line and puddles look awesome (at least pre-patched version for me because of the FPS issue). Great job! Not enough though...
Again if you have any suggestions related with tyre wear and punctures - you're welcome! :)

As I final guys, I know this is a big field for thinking and if you are as keen on realism in F1 series as me, lets help those guys in CM studios with our suggestions and of course just give a little thought about how F1 2011 could be made better that its predecessor. I hope you like that thread, I know it is a little longer than usual. I found some similar threads but they are very short with some guys asking if there will be such thing as failures.
Thank you guys, hope you post your ideas .
Cheers!

Lots of thing changed in F1 in the recent years. First when FIA started to make drastic changes ('04-'05 I think) I thought that their only goal was to ruin the sport... inventing new rules, setting up restrictions for the engines, bodyworks etc. After a couple of years I started to like the new rules and during this season F1 bought me back. The thing which disrupt my sleep is HOW Red Bull became so strong for 3 years. New rules, new drivers, new talents, everything is as it was, but usually the teams that are new on the F1 scene struggle in their first years. That is not the case with Red Bull and I like Webber and Vettel. Two possibilities for me: 1)Vettel is one of the greatest talent born; 2)Red Bull invested HUGE amount of money in development (it is not easy to outperform Ferrari and McLaren with ease) or just Red Bull have wings :)
P.S I see Webber driving the same car, of course huge talent but sometimes he is struggling as we saw in Montreal. Vettel made just one costly mistake during the whole race which cost him the win. He is young. He will overwhelm the weak spots in his drive but overall he is the one of the best driving one of the best cars at the moment. I can't wait to see the next race in Valencia. Looking forward to see a great competition again!

Most teams now have 100% reliability so who's gonna pick a Williams or Virgin next year if they truly make it "real"! better for CM to concentrate on the AI and appalling penalty system. Also NEED a spectator mode.

As last year => you are FORCED to pick one of the weakest teams, no point of being in Ferrari in your first year, no competition, no development etc. And such thing as "reliability" in racing sports does not exist. Where the machines are involved, no 100% reliability. Even the best drivers are not 100% reliable (Vettel in Montreal in his last lap => 0.o)
So it is clear for me that the failures MUST be there as they are part of the game. That also may include developing more reliable parts as a team strategy in the beginning just to finish the races, which will bend the team R&D focus and cause them to substitute the performance parts upgrades for durability upgrades. Isn't it interesting that way? Many gameplay improvements can be made and of course could be made for F1 2010 with a later patch which... sadly doesn't exist. Pity.
About the penalty system, it IS there, it EXISTED and probably is GOING TO exist in F1 2011 at least as it was. The focus should be for the parts that WEREN'T in the game. Why do you need more advanced penalty system? Have you ever felt unpenalized or over penalized in the game? Me not. I have spent BIG time playing this game and I have never felt that I am misjudged or something like that. Every time when I made a mistake and I got penalized it was for sure that I broke the rules! I only felt angry with myself for mistaking the apex and corner cutting or caused an accident. The missing thing was the safety car but... I won't miss it much if it is not in the game. Requires TONS of work for avoiding all of the bugs that may occur with safety car. Nevertheless the rules for SC in F1 are much more complicated nowadays and not quite clear. Stewards deploy it, stewards send it back to the pit... How the game may decide properly when to deploy it? Even now many people do not agree with the way the SC is deployed in the race. SC for rain, SC for an accident, SC for a big puddle on the finish line preventing the drivers to see it...?!?!?! Despite that SC may be deployed in a heavy rain start. That would be cool, avoiding the mid-grid first corner accident or exploiting the slow AI first corner and moving up 18 positions (made that once or twice).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back