F1 2010 F1 2010 - Arcade or Simulation?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Yeah which ones sim oil on the track? Here is one no sim's with oil dry on the track! I would like to see more done with the flag stands in games. The guy waving different flags! Then have the lights around the tracks working. I'm sorry Bram!

My first post and in answer to the question arcade or simulation. In so many ways it is a simulation and a very good simulation of the Grand Prix circus. It has all the attention to detail a simulation should have, every aspect of what a drivers experiences is more or less in F1 2010.

So yes it is a simulation. The driving, for me does not quite feel right, I can not put my finger on it but it feels as if something is there in the background helping me drive the car. Yes all aids are off and I have set sounds to software. It just feels a little numb for want of a better word.

My hope is that the community can now use this as a great base to mod and move the driving feeling forward.

I am sure everybody do enjoy quite different things.

For me the question is, do you feel you drive a screen or a car? If you feel you are driving a screen through the circuit, I won't enjoy it (may be others do), but if you feel the game reacts as a car would do, then if you feel you are driving a car, I will enjoy it.

Is it as realistic as Shift? That's enough. But for me at least that, not less.

Agreed. Now we're talking immersion factor. And not "arcade / simulation / same old pointless debate".

Everything on my part is speculation based on the doom and gloom of the game and my experience with previous codemasters games (i love Dirt 2, i played it again last night and today, such a great game, brilliant track design), but with a few people throwing around opinions that F1 2010 is worse than GRID gets me scared, i hate playing that game with a wheel, and would be disapointed if F1 2010 was like that. But those things aside.

I still won't play this until tomorrow night, and its litterally all i've thought about all week, im so excited for this game. If the physics can be compared to FVA i would be very happy (though i doubt it ^^), as i really love that sim. Rfactor F1 mods are overly twitchy, probably due to the physics engine not being optimised for F1, you can't push anywhere near as hard as the real life cars do there on alot of tracks, others you can drive too fast. But overall the Rfactor F1 mods (each is different from the last) are very fun and really challenging to play and with that they are rewarding to play, which is why they are highly rated, whether they are realistic or not doesnt really matter as they provide the player with a challenging and enjoyable experience.

Perhaps a more important question than sim or not:

I have read things about the game not properly setup and problems with difficulty setting applied incorrectly (easy ai on expert, no spinning, no brake locks). Is this just bullocks or is there any way to setup the game correctly?

Still have 1 hour to wait so would be good if I can start the game up 'properly setup'.
--

I do both enjoy Dirt 2 and GTR evo & GTR2. rfactor was too much for me and lately I dont have the time to really achieve anything in GTR evo, apart from giving the Nordschleife a go.

Both are nice games, in terms of realism Dirt 2 is visually much more realistic :D
But must say that GTR evo (after struggling with all wheel settings etc) with my G25 has the best feeling to it, it really feels like your driving the car. The looks are horrible though, and immersion is important as well. If f1 2010 could give a similar feeling without the hassle GTR brings, i'm sold :)

I don't want to bring this up again but the Ferrari Virtual Academy game is the most realistic F1 physics for any game out there. It's made by Ferrari engineers and drivers to be a highly realistic simulation and as close as possible to their real F1 car, it's as close as anything to a real F1 car then anything out there in a game avaliable. The top 5 in Italy and separately in the world will go into to their real driver academy and due to the physics in their F1 game being a highly realistic simulation they can jump into a car and sort of know what to expect when Jumping into a real car (Apart from the G-Forces loads etc of course) This is what they doing it for to check what kind of talent hardcore simracers have in a realisitc simulation of their F1 car and give the top guys a chance in their real driving academy. And also, the FSR2010 mod physics in rFactor are very close to the Ferrari game from what I heard. So these two are what you need to compare F12010 to if your going to class it as realistic. But it it's not comparable physics wise and it's just not realistic.

But it don't matter if it's arcade or a realistic simulation, what matters is having fun. It could be the most arcade game ever made, but if you have fun playing it then that's all that matters, as gaming is all about the fun factor, so it don't matter if the game is realistic or not, just have fun playing it.

Also codemasters would be silly to aim it just directly at the hardcore sim market, as the sales would be mega low compared to what it is. The console and more arcade gaming market has a far greater base of players that far exceeds the hardcore sim market. The Ferrari game which is directly at realism won't get close to the F12010 sales due to this.

• John Parnell

They told SRT that it would be 80% sim, yet it's anything but, so stop apologizing for their lying.
Also, MP is a turd, can't ever join GP's, just random 3 lap races.

Ive had the game a day and ive managed to join 50% distance race and finish in 9th (lol).
The games good imo, really good, its not 80% sim though, but it doesnt need to be, im really enjoying it.

Ive had the game a day and ive managed to join 50% distance race and finish in 9th (lol).
The games good imo, really good, its not 80% sim though, but it doesnt need to be, im really enjoying it.

I find it hard to take it seriously after driving the more aggressive and realistic Ferrari FVA F1 car.
People with wheels should buy the FVA just to see how well a good sim car feels with their wheels.
Also, the cockpit mode in FVA is totally visible, whereas it can be a real challenge to drive the F1 cars in cockpit mode.

My oppinion: If you wanna drive a F1 game/simulation that is challanging and needs a lot of skill (like the real thing obviously takes a lot of skill), then F1 2010 is not the game for you.
It´s no sim at all.
You just turn the game on, play on expret mode and win. No challenge at all. But yes...it can be fun of course as well. And for me it is also fun. But nothing to be proud of to be good at :p Really.
People who say it´s sim, have no idea. But it´s ok, you can think what you want and I don´t think negative of you because of that.
And no blame Codemasters, because if they would make a sim, 90% people would give up in frustration. Of course they don´t want that at all.
So have fun with this game and be nice to each other!

btw to all of you who say :"you can´t tell if it´s sim if you never driven a real F1 car".:
Adrian Sutil tried F1 2010 and he said it´s arcade. Any questions still?
He also said he´s a fan of GTR.
Michael Schuhmacher drove a public F1 simulator run with rFactor. He said it´s very close to the real thing.
Now?
It´s allright to love F1 2010 and have fun driving it. Maybe even because you got so frustrated when trying to not spin the car in rFactor mods (there are bad mods btw, too). But that F1 2010 is no sim at all is just a fact. And it´s ok that way, too.

btw to all of you who say :"you can´t tell if it´s sim if you never driven a real F1 car".:
Adrian Sutil tried F1 2010 and he said it´s arcade. Any questions still?
He also said he´s a fan of GTR.
Michael Schuhmacher drove a public F1 simulator run with rFactor. He said it´s very close to the real thing.
Now?
It´s allright to love F1 2010 and have fun driving it. Maybe even because you got so frustrated when trying to not spin the car in rFactor mods (there are bad mods btw, too). But that F1 2010 is no sim at all is just a fact. And it´s ok that way, too.

I'm fine with it being an arcade tilt and have gotten over that fact. Its been great to have the F1 experience tho. No other game captures that. Limited sets of tires to run thru in a race weekend. Trying to pip into Q3 with the lotus (evidently i'm not as good as some of you :p). For the sim work i'll get back on iracing.

Nothing beats rain coming in with 10 laps to go at melbourne and trying to see how long i could stay out on slicks, then trying to jump the competition with an early stop for inter's......it was just fun.

I wouldnt care about the arcade sim issue guys as that is the least of the problems of this game.

Currently 58 pages of bug reports and id say itll easily hit 100 by next week and thats just gameplay bugs that people are reporting in that thread.
Also it seems rubber banding is in even when the devs said it wasnt,anyone can take a look at their own files in regard to this.
And for the icing on the cake take a look at the tech support part of the forum for low fps across multiple types of hardware so its not the pcs issue .

It seems that the game doesn't get the times from the ai based on them driving around the track its just randomly generated , also reports from guys coming in 5th and been given a 1st place finish.
Anyone doing qualifying ,after you come in take a look at the imes set by ai ,do they match with the cars you have seen on track ?.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back