F1 2010 F1 2010 - Arcade or Simulation?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I am not going to buy it until I test it myself.

But I would like to read your opinions:

Which one do think it is more similar to: Toca Race Driver 3 (100% arcade), NFS Shift (you can enjoy it) or Live for Speed (a sim that makes you feel like driving a real car)?

If you don't feel you are driving a car, but the car makes impossible turns or brakings, I would call it pure arcade and I wouldn't ever give it a chance. Toca Race Driver 3 is an example for me.

If you don't feel the game is helping you to drive but it is not a pure simulator, may be it is fun and it is worth a try. NFS Shift doesn't give bad sensations.

The opposite from an arcade game is you feel you are driving a real car, like FVA or LFS.

Had Shift worked properly with my wheel, it would've been one of the best racing games of all time, as it had great GFX, awesome range of cars, excellent car models, was at least semi-sim, had Nordscielfe, great FFB....F1 2010 works properly with my wheel, but fails to excel in any of the area's I mentioned.

It's just okay, and shouldn't appeal to anyone having a good time with Iracing/rfactor IMO.

The fun with F1 2010 is not multiplayer at the opposite of Iracing/rfactor... F1 2010 is fun in the career with clever AI.

I tried F1 2007 mod in GTR Evo with AI. AI are so dumb in Evo that the mod is unplayable...

Iracing is arcade if you don't have an expensive simulator that simulates the g forces and even then you will never have the fear factor.

Hate these arguments.

Makes simracers look like wankers.

Just enjoy F1 2010 because they have made a great drivable game.

Or watch that Hitler movie about F1 2010.

LMAO.

Sth Park must do a show about simmers.

It would be sooo funny.

Hi all, this debate around Simulator Vs Arcade has been argued since racing games where first made, I myself had Geoff Crammonds GP2 and a Logitech wingman black wheel, for me this was Simulation at it's best and at that time (1997-98) it was, no FFB, no Widescreen LCD monitors, no DX11 GFX, but I still had a BALLTEARING time. Now I have G25 FFB, 24" WS LCD monitor and ATI HD5850 DX11 but the enjoyment level is not that much different than it was in 97-98, it just looks and feels more realistic now thanks to technology.

So I think it's a case of different horses for different courses or each to their own

Personally, Grid, DiRT2, Shift even Toca RD3 are more arcade than Sim IMHO but still heaps of fun none the less. I'll give codies F1-2010 a go and like DiRT2 it'll be dissapointing but fun at the same time, if ya follow me, ;)

So if ya want SIM then its nKPro, GTR, GTR 2 Etc, rFactor, iRacing and LFS then $10,000 to build a motion cockpit, nothing else but the real thing would compare.

I agree for sure... It is all down to personal preference. There is a reason top drivers from real-world driving series can get in a sim like iRacing and still spin out a ton - It doesn't quite capture what it is like 1:1. That being said, a lot of the good games/simulations do a heck of a job. Then, on top of that, users tweak their settings to get it to a point that they personally feel is 'sim' and/or a 'good experience'. I know some guys that take iracing super seriously but change their volume settings to hear the tires better and tweak their ffb so that it isn't too strong etc. All things that are 'simulated' but they do what they can to make it feel more 'sim' to them but also to give themselves an advantage cause in the end for most, it comes down to lap times.

Personally, I have my ffb doing quite a bit in rFactor where I have done most of my sim racing the past while, it pulls me on kurbs and I tend to spin, where as others that turn their ffb down dont get that pull and drive over them just fine because they dont feel the sensation to try and correct it etc.

In the end, play the games that you find the best for you, if they are simulation or not is a topic for debate even when the telemetry suggests they are bang on due to the fact that you are as others have mentioned just sitting in front of your PC instead of tearing down the asphalt with your life in your hands.

I am having a blast with the F1 2010 experience, there are still things that I wish would be added or tweaked but there are always patches and/or at the very least, the next version. So buy the game, it is well worth the money and Codemasters will continue to build on what is an excellent foundation.

• Kennet

Hello.
Personal preferences cannot determine to what extent a game is a simulation, they are different issues.
Some aspects cannot be simulated but that goes both for simulations and arcade. You have to determine
without them. It isn't possible to do anything about the lack of them.

Regards

• John Parnell

Red bulls sim is or is close enough simulation

rFactor iRacing etc are also sims imo (affordable ones) but not to the same extent as the above.

F1 2010 is a gamers sim its not arcade but its not a hardcore sim, although it does have aspects that arcade games dont and wont have: tire temps, dirty air, dirty side of track full weather system ect, it also has aspects they do have: you can hit a wall and carry on in some cases, you can drive with a silly ammount of assists you can run a 3 or 12 lap race :) This game is a happy medium that will give gamers and sim racers some good fun.

Im really looking forward to the online play in this game it will be a laugh and provide some great battles a full sim wouldnt have allowed due to a tiny mistake here or there but will still punish a spin or a crash!

I have played few sim races online but have enjoyed racing some very good drivers whom I hope to meet on this game! Ive always been a gamer rather than a sim nut but this one game will give me the excuse to return to the scean of leagues and serious racing. I cant wait. See you on track (hopefully not in the gravel :p)

Hi all, this debate around Simulator Vs Arcade has been argued since racing games where first made, I myself had Geoff Crammonds GP2 and a Logitech wingman black wheel, for me this was Simulation at it's best and at that time (1997-98) it was, no FFB, no Widescreen LCD monitors, no DX11 GFX, but I still had a BALLTEARING time. Now I have G25 FFB, 24" WS LCD monitor and ATI HD5850 DX11 but the enjoyment level is not that much different than it was in 97-98, it just looks and feels more realistic now thanks to technology.

So I think it's a case of different horses for different courses or each to their own

Personally, Grid, DiRT2, Shift even Toca RD3 are more arcade than Sim IMHO but still heaps of fun none the less. I'll give codies F1-2010 a go and like DiRT2 it'll be dissapointing but fun at the same time, if ya follow me, ;)

So if ya want SIM then its nKPro, GTR, GTR 2 Etc, rFactor, iRacing and LFS then $10,000 to build a motion cockpit, nothing else but the real thing would compare.

My first 2 racing "jizz in the pants" experiences were F1 gp and Indy 500 on the Amiga a 500.

I wanted to get "realistic" so I bought a digital joystick for f1gp and the mouse was my driving tool of choice for Indy 500.

Still had a great time.

Having put in a couple hours on career mode, I feel this game is 85% arcade 15% sim.

In my first career event on expert mode and no driving assists I qualified 9th in a Lotus, and even had the fastest 1st sector time of all drivers in Q3. that's with zero effort put into the setup... I just picked the farthest right quick setup. the other cars had a lot faster acceleration and higher top speed, and it didn't matter. During the race I made overtakes that were just absurdly unrealistic, words can't even begin to describe. The game turned almost every corner at Bahrain into a passing zone.

People will have fun with this game, but it only has a hint of PC sim flavor.

Matchbox

My first 2 racing "jizz in the pants" experiences were F1 gp and Indy 500 on the Amiga a 500.

I wanted to get "realistic" so I bought a digital joystick for f1gp and the mouse was my driving tool of choice for Indy 500.

Still had a great time.

I still had a geat time, 22 years ago. I drove some hot MATCHBOX cars on the floor and it felt so real, but now you have to go with tim e:D:wink:

Arcade racing games are extremely fun especially the ones that, well, originated in the actual arcade! Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Super GT, OutRun, OutRun 2, Indy 500, Ridge Racer, and F-Zero AX. All BRILLIANT and fun racing games.

Now, as far as F1 2010 goes, I'm sorry guys but this a 100% simulation title! I was playing F1 1010 yesterday for a couple hours in the afternoon, and all I can say is that the game is hard as hell! I'm new to F1 games, but damn. I was having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls lol. Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game :indiff::crazy:

Don't care if its sim or arcade. Played now for 2 days and I think it is 100 times more fun than any F1 mod in rfactor and Race07 , the tracks feel 100 times more realistic than in rfactor or race07 , looks 100 times better and when i drive and compare it to the onboard laps on f1.com seems to be pretty realistic, just maybe abit too easy (am still 2 seconds off real time though) .
So all in all at least 300 times better than rFactor and Race07.
If there is a league with great people coming (even though its only 12 people) I would drop everything and join up.

Now , i am no slouch in racing sims but with the virgin I only managed 15th with AI on legendary, and finished no higher than 22nd, due to tyre punctures and the pitstop bug. Also, when you just have it on expert the AI is only on Hard I think.

how does this game compare with past games from codemasters, and for those who remember, how does this game compare to f1challenge 99-02, from ea sports...

i'm from aus like the guy above me, but i need to know if this game is worth getting, or i should just go back to sleep lol

Arcade racing games are extremely fun especially the ones that, well, originated in the actual arcade! Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Super GT, OutRun, OutRun 2, Indy 500, Ridge Racer, and F-Zero AX. All BRILLIANT and fun racing games.

Now, as far as F1 2010 goes, I'm sorry guys but this a 100% simulation title! I was playing F1 1010 yesterday for a couple hours in the afternoon, and all I can say is that the game is hard as hell! I'm new to F1 games, but damn. I was having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls lol. Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game :indiff::crazy:

F1 2010 = 100 % SIMULATION ?????? WHAT??? I think you never drove a real simulation... . Compared with Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Super GT, OutRun, OutRun 2, Indy 500, Ridge Racer it´s a simulation, thats right. But compared with IRacing for example F1 2010 is ridiculous.

I love simulations. And I hate titles like NFS , Grid, Outrun ... all the arcade ****.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%