F1 2010 F1 2010 - Arcade or Simulation?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
the first review? lol there are 100s of reviews online :)

About the whole sim vs arcade discussion i have something to add.

We must ask ourselves what is simulation:
- A difficulty level
- Realism level

Imo the current simracing games don't simulate reality at all. They are way too hard to drive (let's say 130% compared to a real race car). F12010 might be spot on when it comes to realism (fast grippy acceleration, lots of grip in the corners etc).

Does that make the game arcade? Or does it make the game more closer to reality.

Personally I am completely fed up with the simulation vs arcade discussion as it leads to nowhere and most people just parrot what they read elsewhere without any knowledge about race cars and how they handle on a real track.

Sadly I've never driven a F1 car so I can't judge if Codemaster did a great job on it. Same goes for Ferrari Virtual Academy. What I do know is that quite a lot of real life drivers that I speak don't think our simulation games, that we claim as being realistic, are feeling real at all. They are way too hard to drive :)

Just buy a game and determine if you like it or not. You don't lose respect by admitting you like a game where the sim-elitits say its classified as arcade. Why would you care about their opinion?

I like Dirt2 and DTM race driver 2 and I am proud to admit it :) :love:

I agree with Bram - Unless you are in something similar to the Red Bull Simulator, the sim games sometimes are less 'simulation' and actually more difficult to make up for the fact that you aren't in the car.

Another thing that Anthony Davidson said about their in-car view was that "it shouldn't be as bumpy" BUT to make it more immersive, I think it is great that they did that because in my chair at home, I don't feel any of the other effects that are put on the F1 drivers.

We purely have to rely on visuals, sound and the ffb. Sound is one of the biggest elements and if it works hand in hand with the visuals, the experience is superb (That is one of the reasosn I like CART Factor) - The physics are great but everything goes hand in hand with each other. The ffb makes up for not just the feeling the wheels have with the track in my opinion, but also a bit of what you should actualy be feeling in G-Forces with your body.

The head movement, forward and back while accelerating are all choices by the game designers and they try to tie them to the actual physics but there is a certain point when there are choices to make the game immersive to replicate reality or make the user feel they are in the momement because true car physics under the hood can only do so much for that if you aren't in the actual car 'feeling' the experience.

I don't know if F1 2010 would train you to be an F1 driver but as long as it offers a great 'thrill and experience', then it has done it's job in my opinion.

A 100% sim sounds nice but will be not be to play.

Ask Richard Hammond (Top Gear), he tried to drive a real F1 car and stalled it 8 times, and he has driven a few cars in his time.
And as some people have pointed out already, it does not make sense without all the visual and physical clues you get when driving a real car.

Of course I would not want an 'arcade' game (which implies easy to drive/drive on rails etc) I would like a game that involves skill to be fast. With a level of difficulty that allows me to have fun as well as feels rewarding when I put the effort in.

the first review? lol there are 100s of reviews online :)

About the whole sim vs arcade discussion i have something to add.

We must ask ourselves what is simulation:
- A difficulty level
- Realism level

Imo the current simracing games don't simulate reality at all. They are way too hard to drive (let's say 130% compared to a real race car). F12010 might be spot on when it comes to realism (fast grippy acceleration, lots of grip in the corners etc).

Does that make the game arcade? Or does it make the game more closer to reality.

Personally I am completely fed up with the simulation vs arcade discussion as it leads to nowhere and most people just parrot what they read elsewhere without any knowledge about race cars and how they handle on a real track.

Sadly I've never driven a F1 car so I can't judge if Codemaster did a great job on it. Same goes for Ferrari Virtual Academy. What I do know is that quite a lot of real life drivers that I speak don't think our simulation games, that we claim as being realistic, are feeling real at all. They are way too hard to drive :)

Just buy a game and determine if you like it or not. You don't lose respect by admitting you like a game where the sim-elitits say its classified as arcade. Why would you care about their opinion?

I like Dirt2 and DTM race driver 2 and I am proud to admit it :) :love:

I agree with you mostly but what i will say is why do so many real life professional and amateur racing drivers subscribe to iracing and say its very realistic and close to the real thing?
Im not arguing with you im just saying there has to be some truth in it.
Having said that i dont irace any more, im still subscribed but i dont have the time needed to be competitive, it actually felt like a job after a while.
I too am a proud owner of Dirt 2, its one of the best adrenaline filled racing games ive ever played.
Im looking forward to this F1 game, who cares if its super realistic? once it has some form of believable physics with fast and clever ai ill be happy.

Will RD be doing any leagues for it or even servers to play on for RD members?

Hey guys, i bought F1 2010 yesterday for my xbox 360.

my first impression: it´s a mix between sim and arcade. I switched all driving assists off. In German game magazines i read many reviews for the pc version. They said, its possible to choose between arcade mode and simulation mode... but i found nothing about that. I can only switch the driving assists on or off. But nothing about a simulation or arcade mode.

Maybe the 360 version doesnt have the option to change betwenn ARCADE/SIMULATION... Can anybody help me ??
Where can you change it in the pc version ?

greetz

Very arcade, I very much doubt many fans of Iracing/rfactor will rate this highly.

Flat Out is what I call Arcade.

I think the game is just a normal Simulator, but not a hard-core like netkar/iRacing.
Can't tell if the physics are right, since I never drove the real F1 car hehe.

Btw, Difficult driving has nothing to do with good physics.

I have also iRacing/rFactor (of course), and I still like this one very much. But have not yet tried multiplay. Hope it is stable.

[Edit]
To answer Marcel's question, set it on Expert mode and you get the highest level of simulation.

What i think will be very interesting is once we get the FW31 in iracing. I think this game has its place, though i was surprised to be making Q2 so easily in the Lotus on my first attempts. for $35 on steam i cant complain, and will probably hook up a controller and continue playing it on expert for some good fun. For some reason with the wheel it feels off (i posted about this in another thread).

Anyways, the sound is enough to keep me playing.

Seems the biggest problems most people have with the game is not the physics, but the AI being too easy to beat (Cars not balanced right in comparison to each other) and the pit stops ruining your race (Enter in first, leave in last due to lollipop man). Both of those things are something they could easily patch in, whether or not they will is another thing, but i would hope so. I would rather have to struggle make Q2 in a HRT, and lets be honest in the real world it is not possible to get Q2 in a HRT without other cars failing to qualify at all, and i would be completely fine with that in game, infact i would want that. You then appreciate it more when you do well, and when you move up to a faster team.

Seems the biggest problems most people have with the game is not the physics, but the AI being too easy to beat (Cars not balanced right in comparison to each other) and the pit stops ruining your race (Enter in first, leave in last due to lollipop man). Both of those things are something they could easily patch in, whether or not they will is another thing, but i would hope so. I would rather have to struggle make Q2 in a HRT, and lets be honest in the real world it is not possible to get Q2 in a HRT without other cars failing to qualify at all, and i would be completely fine with that in game, infact i would want that. You then appreciate it more when you do well, and when you move up to a faster team.

Sure it's impossible to get into Q2 with a HRT but Codemasters wanted the cars to have almost (not exacly) same speeds but each car would have a part of it's real life Characteristics on the game. Anyhow I still dont own the game and I am waiting for the Inside Sim-Racing Review of the game or a Full Review by someone from RD.

The game physics are 100% Arcade and nothing like a sim. If it was simulation it would feel more like the Ferrari game/FSR mod (which are both very realistic according to real racers such as Alonso/Massa for the Ferrari game) But knew this from months ago considering it is codemasters after all (only good game they done was toca touring cars many years ago)

The graphics are nice though.

I heard of guys winning in HRT by 30 seconds in Expert mode to.

But for die hard F1 fans and arcade racers this will be a great game for them.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back