rF2 F1 1992 @ Nurburgring - Sun August 28th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Quali 1: Did a good lap to take 4th.

Race 1: Had a good start but a couple of cars had a better one so I was down to 6th by turn 1. Someone span in turn 1 which I had to brake to avoid but was able to come out of it in 5th place. I chased Martin and we both got past Mateusz who had spun off. At the end of the first lap I got a tighter but better exit out of the final turn and pulled alongside Martin on the straight. I noticed every time he changed gear he would drop back whereas I wouldn't which enabled me to be in a good position for turn 1. Martin held on around the outside though and then we came across a recovering Wayne in turn 2. It all got very tight and I somehow came out in front of them both. I had a check of the gap to Ferry and it was already 8.5 seconds so I knew he was taking the 2-stop Quali option. I tried to limit my losses as much as possible and hoped to be within 20 seconds by the time he pitted. I was 18 seconds behind and he still came out 4 seconds ahead. I kept plugging in the laps trying to make sure he was within 14 seconds at the next stop but he was 15 seconds ahead and came out just in front of me. From there on I had no chance of catching him so finished P2, 10 seconds behind.

Quali 2: Did a better lap to take 2nd.

Race 2: With Ferry not in the race, I figured that those around me would most likely be on the soft tyres. Mateusz was on pole but his laptimes in qualifying were not as quick as Ferry's so if he decided to go with Quali tyres, I felt I had a real chance of beating him. I made a good getaway and realised straight away Mateusz was on the soft tyres. I pulled alongside in the braking zone and took the lead. I just set about pulling away and managed to do so by being very consistant. I pulled away by around 0.5 to 1 second per lap and won the race by 9 seconds.

Chas: Have you tried GameBooster? It allows you to turn off certain applications before entering a game and then turns them all back on for you again when you have finished.

Steve: I have attached my setup here for you to have a look at and try. :) View attachment 1992 Setup RACE.svm

Thanks to Lee, RD, and all those who raced. :)

Practice before race was very low. i did at the most 50 laps. but i was happy with setup already first lap out of pits. a few tweaks and there it was. I didnt know if my speed was quick enough so looked in to the lap times of others. And saw 1.34 laptimes probably on race trim. Then i knew i could not win the race because myn were high 34 on softs. So i deside top try someting different. pitspeedlimit was up to 300kph. so there was a change to do a 2 stopper. one stop cost me about 13 secs. So 2 stops was about 26 secs. Is a difference of 2 secs a lap what i have to make up with quali tyres compared to softs. And that was very easy to do.

So i did start as planned on quali tyres and after 5 laps first stop. when i got in to the pits i had 18 secs on Adam and when i came back on track there was 4 secs left. At that moment i knew it wasnt difficult to win this one. Just a few dangerous moments with backmarkers left. So on the end i won this one because of a different strategie. So advise to the rest. When you cant win it on the normal way try it different.

@ Jacek, i dont think you are completly right about your coment '' I always thought we have simple rule "at least 2 wheels always on tarmac" :( ''

Iam sure its in the rules that whe have the rule always 2 wheels on track and thats totaly someting different then tarmac. Because the curbs are part of track. so in that specific chicane i also cut the track when you read the rules like you do. But when you say curb is part of track i didnt cut.

@ Adam,
nice fight first race. but what was your pace second race on your Q tyres? 1 31 low? you say your are 0,5 to 1 sec a lap faster but with 2 stops extra that wouldnt be enough. So curious what your pace was between soft and quali. myn were more then 2 secs a lap.

Thanks Adam,i'll have a look at that prog. I normally don't have my printer usb in my pc? I forgot :-s although after lasts weeks update i did go in and ask for manual update,maybe lol it's unplugged now though i can assure you!
Steve,hang in there mate,you'll get better if you stick at it,and get as much track time as you can. Scotts server is usually up so look out for Rothmans-RD
I only managed 40 laps this week as i'm working alot,i usually get in 3 or 4 times that! And lately? My times have been ALOT better.
Good to have you onboard,and you Luke and a final word to Wayne :) nice to see you on track again.

@ Adam,
nice fight first race. but what was your pace second race on your Q tyres? 1 31 low? you say your are 0,5 to 1 sec a lap faster but with 2 stops extra that wouldnt be enough. So curious what your pace was between soft and quali. myn were more then 2 secs a lap.

I used the soft tyres for race 2 again. For me, it wasn't enough of an advantage to use Quali tyres in the race. I felt if you had gained what you normally did on me on the first lap rather than the 8+ seconds it was, then you probably would of came out behind me after your first stop and certainly behind me on the second stop. OK the Quali tyres are better and you would most likely of still beaten me but getting in traffic and battling for position is going to lose time relative to the gains you needed to get. From my past experiences, using the Quali tyre in the race only works when you are faster than everyone, which I certainly wasn't, looking at the times. Also, I knew I could go faster on the soft tyres as the first race I was rather inconsistant and made a few mistakes here and there.

ahh ok now i understand what you mean. Well i still think quali tyres were the best option fore me. Most of the time you can gain 4 or 5 secs in first lap because of the battles in first lap. And also when you wanne try to overtake with quali tyres compared to soft its so easy to do. it doesnt take any time at all. And beside that i didnt push at all in all of my stints. i did a best lap in race of 1 31 4 in second stint. but in practice i did already a 1 30 7 in first lap out of pits with 50l fuel. i knew after a 2 laps i didnt need to go at the limit to get in front of you after the first stop. When it was a different race and you was closer behind me i could have pushed harder before first stop but there was no need to.

but ahh doesnt matter at all. when you feel good on softs its ok. but fore me it was a to much difference this time so thats why i took the gamble and it worked out ok. On softs iam sure it would have been much harder to win the race. also becaue of my bad webber starts of the last few weeks ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back