rF2 F1 1992 @ Brands Hatch - Sun May 1st 2011 [EU]

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
It was an awesome game, I still got the PC version in my cupboard (ran on DOS lol) :) For the time, the graphics were great and it was good fun to play, but obviously technology has changed a lot since :)

After the race i didnt want to give an reaction on here because i was realy mad. But it wasnt smart to say anything. I just wanted to wait a day to see if Norman gives a sorry to his driving. But BAM then i read this.

Ferry - you might want to use a little patience next time and wait until we're not flying through the flat out corners at the back of the circuit before attempting to overtake. I might be crap and miles behind, but you're supposed to be patient.

Question from me: Are your mirrors broken Norman? i was already behind you before all the fast turns right after section 1 and you didnt give any room on the strait so i needed to wait behind you and i did. And yes behind me on P2 was closing in on me. You was on P ...... fare from any fight. So i didnt expect at all that you stay in front. Because why should you ruin the fight fore P1? i have realy no clue but you did. And why i did crash in to you was because i didnt expect you to brake there. Driving fore P1 isnt alowing me to brake there as you did.

Last few words from me about what happend iam not mad but disapointed in your reaction. I hoped that you knew what you did wrong but other wise you say i did someting wrong and thats not what i expected.

I didn't get a blue flag until we hit the fast turns, there's nowhere to pull over there, you were about to be clear and you had to force your way through anyway, resulting in your crash.

Allow me to quote racing club rule number 9:

Do not alter your line or braking for a faster car behind you. Unpredictable moves have a way of ending the race for both of you. Let the faster car dictate when and where to initiate a pass, and only then you are free to assist by easing off the throttle.

It's only a club race. You know, for fun. Yes, you're quick - but you're also arrogant.
If you'd, as I said, exercised a little patience, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

well Norman iam not going to argue with you about this, because you and me probably from a different world. But the blue flag in game isnt the only thing were you have to watch at. Its coming most of the time fare to late, and when you talk like this i know enough.

Last post from me about this because whe never going to agree. also because you say iam arrogant. i have no idea how you came up with this. You dont know me at all. and you have no idea were iam coming from in simracing.

I saw the incident from Ferry's perspective while waiting for Race 2. You would not let him through, and I can understand his frustration. At the slow right-hander Ferry ended up hitting you and he did a 180 while you carried on. Next lap (or 2) exactly the same thing! In the end it resulted in Ferry's retirement.
This is based on what I saw, no bias.

I know we are in ''club'' races guys. I've heard many people,over the years say, ''it's just for fun''. That might be true,but it's only a small part of the bigger picture,is it not?
I don't show up on a sunday night,''for fun''. I want to ''race''. The ''fun'' comes from the ''racing''.
Now,i'm not talking about my incident last night Norman,let's be clear about that before i go on.
In the past, when i've been nudged off by someone,it angers me,sure it does. When they hold there hands up to it and apologies? That does make me feel better about the whole thing!
When they say,''ah,it's only a club race,it's just for fun''. Huh?
Well,wouldn't we be better running around in bumper cars so we can bash into each other and declare,''hey,it's just for fun''
Where is the ''fun'' in getting punted,shoved or rear ended by someone? Then they just declare,''it's just for fun'' It does nothing for me! I don't see where the ''fun'' is in crashing. Do you?
End of the day,,,,,accidents happen. We all gotta grin and bare it! :tongue:
Woooosh! Fuel to the fire!!! lol

I wasn't there so I haven't seen any of the incidents, so this post is not aimed at anyone.

Club races are here for fun. The racing is put up to allow all users access to free fun racing. However, we do have certain rules in place. Chas mentioned that somone hit somone and then said 'its just for fun so doesn't matter' style attitude. That is wrong. Of course accidents will happen, thats what racing is however thinking a hit does not matter as the races count for nothing is what I object to. RD is clean racing, we are a community who encourages clean fair racing and as such frequent bad behaviour will result in a ban (temporary or perminant). This is not just my view it is the view of RD it is also what every licensed member agrees to when they sign up. You race here you agree to the rules.

Maybe Chas was just stating that as an example and i've gone off tangent but even still :p.

I saw the incident from Ferry's perspective while waiting for Race 2. You would not let him through, and I can understand his frustration. At the slow right-hander Ferry ended up hitting you and he did a 180 while you carried on. Next lap (or 2) exactly the same thing! In the end it resulted in Ferry's retirement.
This is based on what I saw, no bias.

The incident only happened once and it wasn't a case of not letting him through. What possible benefit is it to me to not let him through? Your comment doesn't really help Kyle.

The fact of the matter is I'm getting blue flagged at the the two high speed flat corners at the back of the circuit and instead of leaping out of the way instantly, I tried to hold the same line I took every lap until we got over the final "humped" corner before letting him through. Unfortunately, he tried to barge past as we went through that very corner. And that was the result.

And when I say it's for fun, I'm just saying it's not worth getting super angry about.

There's nothing much else to say.

@Norman,
Hmmm looks like after only 15 years I'm already losing my memory. I wasn't really concentrating.
Although I think I speak for everyone when I say we had an interesting weekend.
Friday: royal wedding aka national holiday in the UK.
Saturday: nothing much
Sunday: we had a race at an awesome track steeped in history.
Bit later that evening: some Americans kill Osama bin Laden.
bit off-topic but it sums up the weekend generally. Even though I crashed out of both races (again) I really enjoyed it, big thanks to everyone involved.

Question from me: Are your mirrors broken Norman? i was already behind you before all the fast turns right after section 1 and you didnt give any room on the strait so i needed to wait behind you and i did. And yes behind me on P2 was closing in on me.
Just a question on this one Ferry, and i know you said you wont post on the subject again but your pinion might be helpful for the future:
It appears Norman stayed on line as per the RD rules. Would you have preferred him to move over? You may recall and incident we had in Qualifying - we were both on an outlap preparing for a hotlap approaching the final turn - I saw you were behind me and as I knew you would be quicker wanted to let you go past. I moved offline to let you pass just as you moved offline to overtake and we both crashed. No problem just a mistake but we could easily have both stayed on our line and we wouldnt have achieved what we were aiming for. So would you prefer a slower driver to move offline when being lapped, or hold his line as per the Rd rules and let you dictate the maneuver?

I think the thing is Steve, it has to be clear whats going on. Personally I would normally move off line. I know the rule says stay on line but thats mainly to try avoid these sort of accidents by saying that one driver should always do one thing (like in flying if two planes are on course to hit one descends the over ascends).

Fair point Lee, which proves we need some clarification to avoid these incidents happening again.
Personally depending on the situation and if it’s a driver I am familiar with, I will move over, but as what happened on Sunday with Ferry I moved and he moved and between us we messed it up. At 150mph you don’t have long to make a decision. I think it’s been a bit unfair on Norman as he had abided by the rules set by Rd and at those points on the track there were not many places he could move to anyway. We have a good crew on Sundays, let’s try not to spoil it and hopefully it can go down as a misunderstanding which won’t happen again.

I am aware of the rules we all race under. From my point of view,there are a few(blindingly quick) drivers(the aliens lol) with us that,when i see them behind me,usually lapping me lol or making up places after a spin,i do move over. It's what I can do to say ''i'm letting you pass''. It hopefully looks like an 'obvious move' to the car behind.
This is not to say that if you catch me up quickly i'm gonna jump out your way lol I'll race for position,for sure.
Example- Andreas had a spin during sunday nights race and dropped behind me. A few laps later he was right behind me again,i didn't see the point in getting defencive as i knew he was way quicker than me,so i moved over,on the next straight, and lifted then got back on it!
I'm usually very aware of who's behind me,in my mirrors and on the graph at the bottom of my screen. So,hopefully i avoid any incidents like this,but,there will be times when it just don't work out!
Look out in Detroit! lol

Yep same here Chas, but again, looking at the Ferry incident, Norman was aware he was there, it's just very hard (read almost impossible) to move in that part of the track, maybe 1 corner later Ferry could have all the place he had to pass...

It's just Ferry, i come to understand after watching replay, that i think you wanted to pass without taking into account where the guy you passed could end up... That's what i do when doubling, or getting doubled.

It seems like Norman could feel those corners are not the right moment to do that, wich was correct in my book, it's suicide to do that there. And Norman knows the RD rules allright. :)

I think the sentence "its not because you're faster you're not in fault " does well here. Again, you're both in fault, but at least Norman can handle it.

For myself, i do go off the line when getting doubled in most cases, it depends on the corner, like in Brands it was on the downhill right after start finnish, but some corners are better when yr not going offline. It just depends...

When you feel you're on the recieving end,it's always harder to swallow but, I'm sure we'll learn from it and move on.
I fear Detroit may bring new challenges to us all! :-s :fwd:

I think it really all comes down to the situation on track. If you're racing for position, and you can see the car coming up behind you is much faster, what I try to do is pick a place where it's safe to either move over or take a turn a little wide to let the car behind by, (if it's a turn that you can go a little wide). If I see a car that is going to lap me, there isn't much point in fighting to keep him behind, you both lose time that way, I move over as early as I can to "signal" keep your racing line and go by.
It won't always work that way, things happen, but I try and stay consistent with what I do.
I think the incident on Sunday was just a mistake. Surely nothing was done on purpose. I don't believe any of us would do that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back