rF2 F1 1992 @ Brands Hatch - Sun May 1st 2011 [EU]

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Firstly: my apologies Steve :liquor: Just saw a Benneton and assumed it was you.
Nextly: thanks for the apology Norman,appreciate it. We were side by side. My general rule is,if theres somone near me and i can't see them in my mirror then,i leave them room,even if i lose a position. Rules state you should have waited etc. Anyways.......:cool:

Indeedy, noted - btw, I totally would have waited if I had realized what I'd done.
Catch ya next time, matey.

@Palmer:
Looking at the replay, I didn't see any reason for you to be going that slowly, but from my t-cam perspective, you were stationary. I am a quick starter but I have a poor reaction time. Bogging down is not something you want to do if you are directly in front of me, or a few rows ahead, because I will be going so fast, I will end up ramming you before I've had time to react. :)

Didn't do my lack of confidence any good, DNF at both races at my local racetrack.
I won't be in Detroit, as a narrow street circuit I won't have a chance of finishing the race. Hopefully, by the time Donington comes, I will have a wheel, but I seriously doubt it.

@Palmer:
Looking at the replay, I didn't see any reason for you to be going that slowly, but from my t-cam perspective, you were stationary. I am a quick starter but I have a poor reaction time. Bogging down is not something you want to do if you are directly in front of me, or a few rows ahead, because I will be going so fast, I will end up ramming you before I've had time to react. :)

That's a bit unfair on Mr Palmer. Im sure he didn't intend to get a slow start. Also I don't understand how you can be a quick starter and have a poor reaction time. From what ive seen Kyle if you concentrated on finishing a race and not being fast, it would give you a good base to work with. Take a positive view and try Detroit with the aim of completing the race, no matter how quick you are. You will get more benefit from finishing a race slowly than being spectacularly quick and crashing.
Detroit will be a tough circuit but the people who take time to learn the track will do best here.

Short evening for me. I didn't had time to properly prepare myself and I had to drive with the default setup. Qualified at the bottom half of the grid with a 1.04.1.

Race start went ok, saw a couple of crashes around me and I was lucky not to be one of them. Sadly I managed to crash the car in lap 2 second corner.. The front was damaged (no tires) and I had to quit the race.

Since I was struggling with a nasty cold and was sneezing my way behind the wheel, I decided to call it a day.

It was my first run with this mod and I must say it's fantastic to drive. I probably won't be there the next two weeks, but you'll see me again at Mid Ohio

That's a bit unfair on Mr Palmer. Im sure he didn't intend to get a slow start.
I wasn't saying that at all. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and probably just saying things in the heat of the moment. I admit, I'm still very frustrated but I'll get over it eventually.
As for being a quick starter with poor reactions, don't ask me, I can't explain why I can't catch a spin or avoid a car, but I can get a better launch than the people around me. That is even stranger, as I have no problems getting away from the line but I have trouble accelerating out of a slow corner. And before anyone asks, I'm not a wrecker.
My attitude to these first few races is "finish, but don't become a chicane". I guess I am just too eager to be competitive. :)
There was a practice race in the afternoon with Myles Thomas and someone else I can't remember at this time (I think it was Ferry). Qualified behind both of them but I shot around the outside at Turn 1 and was almost past both drivers but I was too eager on the throttle (again) and I spun off into the gravel. And you know how the gravel is at this version of Brands, you get completely beached.
I might race in Detroit, but I don't expect to get anywhere.

Higher or lower?

Experiment. Its complicated but the way I see it ( and someone please correct me) You have the Pump, Power and coast settings which equate to exiting a corner, driving through corner, and entering a corner. Have a look at this and see of it makes any sense:
http://f1elites.com/4d/?p=8

From memory my settings were something like 5,10 and 30% preload 1.
Ive only been doing this sim racing lark since Christmas but it becomes more and more obvious that the more you test the better you can be.
Example, I finished 3rd in both of these races but I was nowhere near being the third quickest car. I just had a driveable setup that I was confident would get me to the finish. So you need to test.

Now this isnt a criticism just an observation but from watching your replays you seem to be desperate to get in front of the car ahead and frantically trying to be the quickest on the track. Be more patient. I had about a 6 lap battle with Chas but I knew a risky overtaking move could put us both out so I just tried to keep the pressure on and hope he made a mistake. Maybe if you slow down a bit you will get better results.

Quali 1: Slower than my PB so P5.

Race 1: Good start but received some suspension damage after a collision with another car towards the end of the lap. That made my car almost undriveable and as a result I kept putting wheels on the grass, eventually resulting in me spinning out at turn 1.

Quali 2: Slower than Q1 but still 5th.

Race 2: Good start again and was running comfortably until I went off at Dingle Dell. Fortunately only damaged the suspension but the next lap I crashed on the inside of that very corner and lost the front wing. I was last before I pitted for a new wing. After I came out, I just set about the cars ahead as they were going off track. Made a few places but I then crashed at Dingle Dell again and ripped the front left suspension from the car. Weirdly the tyre stayed on so I went to the pits for another front wing and some quali tyres as there was only 2 laps left. Tired to get the fastest lap on the final lap but fell just short. Finished 7th I think.

Thanks to Lee, RD, and all those who raced :)

Adam,we had a good quali session in Q2. I was sitting in the pits watching you as the minutes ticked away. You were on a 1:01.425, With approx 2mins remaining,you came in and then went out for a final run....i followed you out. On my last hot lap i lost the rear at turn 6 and ended up in the kitty litter,didn't improve my time. You managed to squeeze in one more lap,with you taking P4
Adams, 1:01.411
Chas, 1:01.412
Cooooooool! lol

@Palmer:

You're racing these cars with keys?

Anyway, Kyle... If you find yrself on the start line ready to start, the first clue is knowing there's a possibility that there will be a car not going like it should, or having to much spin etc... You just can't say, "watch out don't bog down because I'M fast..."
That's a bit selfish, especially when you're in retro race monsters where you allways need a good dosis of awareness, with the car and with your surroundings...

You're racing these cars with keys?
Gamepad here. It sucks. I need to get myself a wheel, but I'm flat broke after a bike theft and needing a replacement.

the first clue is knowing there's a possibility that there will be a car not going like it should, or having to much spin etc...
That's a very good way to put it, describes exactly what I didn't do.

You just can't say, "watch out don't bog down because I'M fast..."
This was my 4th ever online race (2 last weekend at Red Bull Ring) and I've just been so used to AIs having perfect starts all the time that I just don't expect anyone to make a mistake. A bit of luck, and I might actually finish a race. Even if I hadn't hit Steve, I would have spun off at some point due to my incompetence.

Looking forward to Detroit next week, I dont think I have driven it since the original F1GP which came out almost 20 years ago and I think it was based on the 91 season, just had a few recce laps and I had forgotten how much fun it is, great stuff, a full grid would be mad :D

Adam,we had a good quali session in Q2. I was sitting in the pits watching you as the minutes ticked away. You were on a 1:01.425, With approx 2mins remaining,you came in and then went out for a final run....i followed you out. On my last hot lap i lost the rear at turn 6 and ended up in the kitty litter,didn't improve my time. You managed to squeeze in one more lap,with you taking P4
Adams, 1:01.411
Chas, 1:01.412
Cooooooool! lol

Nice, although I did my fastest lap before that last attempt. The final attempt I was 0.3 seconds faster in final sector and 0.05 seconds faster in first sector but the chat during the middle of the lap caused me to make a mistake. :frown:

Looking forward to Detroit next week, I dont think I have driven it since the original F1GP which came out almost 20 years ago and I think it was based on the 91 season, just had a few recce laps and I had forgotten how much fun it is, great stuff, a full grid would be mad :D

I'm guessing you mean GP 1 by Microprose (Geoff Crammond)? If so that was Phoenix on that game and not Detroit as Detroit's last race was in 1988. :)

Look at F1 2010 and you see how far we've come in 20 years. :tongue:
Although, saying that, we've gone for better graphics at the expense of stability i.e. better graphics = more bugs.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back