1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended flappybuttons for the DFGT - a DIY idea

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by boglav, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ever since I got my DFGT, besides the weak pedals, I've had a major disappointment with the design: the flappy shifter buttons on the wheel.While at first I thought they'd do the job, I often found myself double and miss-shifting and switched to the sequential shifter, for Race07. With F1 2011 in sight, I had to find a solution for the problem.

As the Grandturgismo paddle mod is over-budget for me, I had to resort to DIY. I found a solution that requires no special tools or skills, takes about 30 min. and with a total cost of around 5 USD, and thought it might be useful for some.

Needed hardware:
    - a woodden, plastic or metal surface for the paddle. I used the plastic sides of a dead Pleomax notebook mouse, which I took apart and cut to size. The shape really fit, and it has a rubbery surface;

- an "L" shaped sheet of metal. I used the removable things from a computer case (the ones you take out from the back to fit the video card). It's made of soft metal and thus it can be easily cut to size;

-double-sided tape (~1,5 mm thick). I bought some from an autoshop for around 3 USD. It doesn't have to be really strong, as it is mostly for surface protection and positioning purposes.

- one long (30 cm maybe?), black plastic cable tie;

[​IMG]

- 2x3 mm screws and nuts;

- one 3 mm drill (I did the holes with no drilling machine) and a pair of pliers (to cut the metal sheet to size).

The process:

1. Search around the house or make out of wood or plastic a surface for the paddle (check the images for my choice);
    2. cut (and bend if necessary) the metal thing to fit your needs.
    3. drill a hole through the "paddle" and metal support, and fit them with the screws. I also used the double-sided tape for a better attachment.

[​IMG]

4. use some of the tape for the short side of the "L"; I also used it on the long side;

[​IMG]

5. fit the paddles as you see in the pictures. Check the position and see it clicks OK. It shouldn't come apart, since the force is applied along the tape surface;
    6. When you get it right, secure the 2 paddles with the cable tie. There is enough room for it.

You will better figure this out from the pictures (sorry for the quality, only my phone was around).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this setup there is virtually no difference when pressing the buttons, only this way you get a better grip. The way I sized things, you can grab the wheel as usual, only you have the buttons at the fingertips. I see this also working with a bigger type of paddles, use your imagination.

Hope this helps.

2. Small update..

1. I removed the screws and attached the 2 pieces only with the tape, because the end of the screws was pressing the button in the middle;

2. I attached 2 circular rubber pads (the resting pads from a broken DVD-palyer - man I gotta get rid of some of the junk [​IMG] ) - now it emulates perfectly a finger press in the "sweet spot" of the button;

3. I also used some of the tape underneath the cable tie to avoid it from sliding in time.

Then I did some runs on Chayka with the M3 GT2 and man that was sweet. For the first time I was able to focus on the driving itself and not worry about mis-shifting. I was junk anyways, but it felt really great [​IMG].

Final version images below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nice one!