F1 2016 Expert - Legend AI

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)
I found myself splitted between Expert and Legend difficulty during the weekend, but not in the way a lot of you may think.
Regarding FP and Q I can make a single fast lap on fresh tyres and be competitive in Legend difficulty (top 10 with McLaren), but when race comes I can't keep up AI pace for more than 2 laps and I finish dead last: I'm 1s off an ideal pace due to tyre wear, it's much more like an expert pace.
The problem is that I can't qualify on expert difficulty because I can take pole every time.
I found this problem since F1 2013: race pace and qualiy laps are only 1 or 2 seconds off, in real life more like 3 or 4.
Some tips? I play 50% races and no assists.

Today I played in Sochi.
With Legend difficulty I can't complete tyre wear test, simply because I can't keep the pace.
So I did all FP on Expert and I achieved 19th, 13th and 1st place (I actually pushed only in FP3, but that means enough about my speed compared to the Expert AI). 1.41.950 my best time.

I swap to Legend for the qualifying session and the fun begins: I passed Q1 with a 1.40.891 as 16th. In Q2 I get 15th place just in front of Fernando by 1 tenth with 1.40.017.
In qualifying the Legend AI is really challenging for me and realistic!

For the race I had to choose Expert because I can't keep the AI pace on Legend. I finished 4th: ok it was a crazy race with different whether conditions and I get all the pit perfect, but I was one of the fastest on track.

I keep loving how tough qualifying are in Legend but how frustrating is the AI pace. I would like to race against Legend AI, but the only weekend I did (Bahrain) I couldn't pass tyre wear test, qualifying test and I finished dead last despite the good qualifying in P12, it was frustrating.

Last edited:
Currently running at legend 100% race with haas and around halfway through the season, I find the quali a bit easier than race, mostly because it seems that the softer the compound I'm using the faster I'm compared to the ai.
Most often able to qualify in maybe top 6 and finish race inside the points, wich is not all too unrealistic as my haas is currently fourth fastest car in my carreer.
The ai seems to be faster in the race but I also think it has to do with that i really struggle to do consistent fast laps in the race especially in the beginning of race with heavy car.

No assists, I find Expert just about right for me in race pace except for a few circuits where the AI is a little too slow (eg Bahrain.) For Qualifying they a little too slow though on Expert as I can qualify top 10 every time in a Mclaren which in not realistic. This is using default setups only. Also AI a bit too slow in wet weather.

If AI pace was just .5 sec lap quicker in Q and wet, then Expert would be perfect for me.

I might try changing Q sessions to Legend and see how it goes.

On expert I complete most tracks with ease. Legend is a whole other story. It's track dependent though. But overall the Delta time on Legend is too damn quick.
I agree. As you can see from the pool on the top of this thread most of us play on Expert.
I bet a lot of us can be competitive during a Legend qualifying session, but lack on race pace.
It's not our fault: F1 cars are actually 4-5s slower in race pace with heavy fuel and this game simulate that pretty well. The problem is the pure lap time to beat tyre wear test and the pace the AI has during the race.. too damn quick compared to expert.

I hope Codies will fix this, it's not so difficult to change for them, they only have to change a couple of multipliers, I did it with ease in F1 2013.
Physics is unbelievable good in this game keeping in mind that it's an arcade and I have a lot of fun in career mode, it's far better than 2013 one.

I must say that driving in the wet gives me a too big advancement over the AI, though I don't mind it. They should've added sliders like in the 2000's game.
It depends how hard you drive under the rain.
On Expert I'm 1-2s faster than anyone, but on Legend I suppose to be even slower than the other drivers.

Today I'll try to have a full weekend with Hamilton in Legend difficulty, maybe it's just the McLaren too slow. My best lap with Mercedes in Bahrain is 1.32.8, so I'll try this track. I hope to keep the AI pace at least in a Mercedes..

How are you guys are able to change difficulties between sessions (FP/Q/R)?

I started my 1st season in the McLaren on Expert. Was getting wins and pole's only after few upgrades. Tried Legendary on FP of Britian dead last but I suck there. Just ended season with McLaren. Won championship and 2nd in constructor. Developed them to 2nd in Team Performance table. Chose a contract offer from RedBull (4th in Team Performance Table) going to try Legendary.

How are you guys finding it since the Master AI was introduced? They are my preferred level at the moment. Previously I was a bit too quick for Expert but not up there at Legend level. At Master I am racing in the Force India and get the car about where it's meant to be, sometimes higher but it's at least realistic for me and with the Legend AI there for me to grow into :thumbsup:

How are you guys finding it since the Master AI was introduced? They are my preferred level at the moment. Previously I was a bit too quick for Expert but not up there at Legend level. At Master I am racing in the Force India and get the car about where it's meant to be, sometimes higher but it's at least realistic for me and with the Legend AI there for me to grow into :thumbsup:
Indeed master level works quite well but I am not able to consistently perform like a quallilap in the race so I still choose expert level although it is somehow too easy maybe coz I won the DWC in the first season in a Renault ......:whistling:

Last edited:
The advantage we have is that we can run a different strategy whereas the AI are more inflexible and go with whatever the engineer default strategy is. At Monza for example I was given two 3 stopper options but I went with my own and stopped once.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.4%