Ex-Ferrari F1 Team Principal to take the reigns at Lamborghini

Stefano Domenicali.jpg

That's right, Stefano Domenicali - who led Scuderia Ferrari F1 to take the Constructors Championship in 2008 - will take over as the new President and CEO of Automobili Lamborghini on March 15th.

The 50 year old Imola native, Domenicali, has seemingly lived and breathed Ferrari his entire professional career. After studying Business Administration in Bologna, he began his career with Ferrari, first in finance, then moving to Scuderia Ferrari as Head of Business Planning and Director of the Ferrari-owned Mugello circuit. From there, he moved into Formula One as Scuderia Ferrari's Sporting Director in 1998, and after a short departure from Ferrari, returned in 2008 to become the Team Principal and win the Formula One Constructors Championship the same year.

Many people will now find themselves wondering, will he bring Lamborghini to Formula One? A valid question as his career has seemed to be strongly pointed towards F1, in fact he still holds a seat on the F.I.A. World MotorSport Council as the President of the F.I.A. Single Seater Commission. So with his strong ties to F1, it is reasonable to believe he may have some ambitions to bring Lamborghini to the sport - though Lamborghini themselves have given no indication as of yet that may be the case.

With his impeccable CV, there is no doubt Domenicali will serve as a suitable replacement to his predecessor, Stephan Winkelmann, who brought massive changes and success to the brand during his tenure. While the possibility of a Lambo-liveried F1 car is little more than a question, one thing is for sure, F1 fans and Lamborghini fans alike will be anxiously awaiting an answer.

What do you think? Will Stefan Domenicali push for Lamborghini to join F1, or is he trying to make a departure from the sport? Let us know in the comments, and stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Last edited:
There were strong indications last year that VW/Audi were heading to F1. This might just be the way to do it. If the FIA of course ease the road for new constructors to get into F1 and relax engine development for new commers.

Domenicali is by a lengthy mile one the most devouted and passionate executives I've seen in racing. After Todt and Schumi left, I really think Stefano was the beating heart of the F1 operations at Ferrari.

Can't wait on what he will and could do the bull horned company.

Domenicali is by a lengthy mile one the most devouted and passionate executives I've seen in racing. After Todt and Schumi left, I really think Stefano was the beating heart of the F1 operations at Ferrari.

Can't wait on what he will and could do the bull horned company.
Something to do with another company with a bull logo perhaps?

For goodness sake, NO, Lambo will not join F1., not as it currently stands anyway. Just this week VAG group motorsport boss Wolfgang Durheimer said as much and laid out the reasons.

""Formula 1 is not on our agenda right now," said Dürheimer. "The situation is not predictable enough to make the kind of investment required.

"On the regulations front, there are a lot of rumours around the engine side and the supporting technology side. Before you commit the kind of money needed you must see five years of rules stability - there can't be the possibility of rules changes, of more or less engine cylinders coming in, or the hybrid system changing away from technology you are developing on road cars.

"On the ownership side, there are also big questions the sport must answer. If you are a big business making a big investment you expect to have some influence on the set-up, with an assurance the present ownership will last. In F1, it seems the owners will not be there forever and that creates some instability."

Sources: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...-f1-entry-due-ownership-and-rules-uncertainty

and definitely worth a read: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/...lfgang-durheimer-clears-up-the-confusion.html

"And here, in black and white, on the record, is the spokesman for the biggest corporate target that F1 has, stating clearly that these are the issues that keep them away. The ball it seems is in F1, and the FIA’s court, fundamentally not in VAG’s."

No I can't see Lambo back in F1. Lamborghini has always been my favourite supercar manufacturer but at the moment their business plan (and profits) are in GT racing and I'm happy with that.

I do miss those V12's though....:rolleyes:

Last year I went on the factory tour and when you see the F1 3.5litre V12 in the museum you can't believe that an F1 engine used to be that large! :roflmao:

How about a 4.0litre V10 in the normally aspirated class of LMP1.....?:cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years