EVERYTHING OCULUS VR

I was a doubter, VR no way, who wants to sit with something on your head you look really silly! well, after buying a new pc last week and one of my gaming buddies going on about how brilliant vr is....................... I went and ****in bought one. Spur of the moment cheap brand new off ebay. Well I can't believe it I mean it's so hard to describe but it is the most amazing fantastic awesome thrilling experience I've ever had in sim racing. Words just can't explain it. Pcars Nordschleiffe in a Caterham was like well I mean.............. It's taken a few days to get used to it and I'm now in debt but fook it, this is what I've been waiting 38 years for. OMG and any other things lol. Yes it has a few problems which I'm sure will get sorted but if you're sitting on the fence then all I can say is do it!

i saw a video of someone who bought it for fsx and were devastated because they couldn't read the dials. sim sickness issues and the low res are serious limitations.
That can be remedied with a program called FlyInside (IIRC).
Froogle did a bit on it, and.......
Well, anything that impresses Froogle is probably a good thing. :D

Upvote 0
I have been using the oculus rift cv1 for almost 3 months now and it's amazing.

I used to race on my triple 46"55"46" tv's which gave me about a 100" screen from left to right. I was always sure that nothing could beat my triple screen setup.

After the arrival of the rift i have used my triples only once for comparison. After that i was 100% sure i would never go back to simple 2d screen racing on tv's/ monitors.

The difference in immersion is massive: It's from sitting in a room playing racegame on a tv to actually sitting in the car looking into every apex in the corners on the racetrack.

In general i believe you need quite a long adaption periode to get used to the lower resolution graphics. You should try it at least a couple of times before making the decision and try not to focus on the image quality but rather enjoy the immersion that comes with racing in VR.

If you cross the point where the immersion becomes more joyable than the image quality, there's no going to back simple 2d monitors no matter how high quality they are.

If you have a powerfull videocard you can use the multi sampling of the oculus debug tool, which gives great results. This lets your videocard render up to 3x times the pixels of the oculus rift display which results in a much sharper image. Assetto corsa with 2.0 pixel per display pixel setting and 4AA gives a really good image. Dirt rally at a 1.6 pixel per pixel setting also looks awesome in the rift. I had a friend over today to give the CV1 a try and he never complained once about the resolution. He was actually supprised how good the image was after reading about the negative reports.

Project Cars is a great looking game on the monitor but it much too demanding for any system in VR right now. That why you can't run the game at high pixel per pixel setting combined with ingame AA and still keep the minimum of 90fps needed.

Yes the resolution of the rift could be better, but at the moment right now the limiting factor is still the current generation videocards. Even a GTX 1080 or (probably) the new Nvdia Titan is still not enough to run Pcars at max settings in VR.

With DS4x the GTX 1080 fails to keep the minimum of 90fps

PCars-DS4X-FPS2-680x326.jpg

With DS9x the GTX 1080 struggles to keep half of the desired framerate.

PCars-DS4X-FPS-680x326.jpg

To get the maximum out of the current HMD's you need a beefy computer and a high-end videocard.

On the other hand with my 980Ti @1475hz i can get great results in Assetto Corsa, Iracing and Dirt Rally.

Virtual Reality is the future and the future is here:cool:

This is from a guy who couldn't stand a flickering white line when he was racing on "flat screens" ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have triple screens and have enjoyed racing with them for years. I bought the Rift CV1 after demoing it at Best Buy and I am so glad I did. It's a true game changer. My triples show me what the inside of a race car looks like, my Rift puts me in the car. Assetto Corsa already looks almost as good with the Rift as it did with my triples. iRacing, Project CARS and Dirt Rally are great fun but still lacking in resolution and/or AA. That being said, the immersion is so amazing that I now run all my VR compatible sims on the Rift. I also am enjoying many of the non-racing VR titles including Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Eve Valkyrie and Apollo 11.

I still have the triples and enjoy both racing and non-racing games on them.

I use an Nvidia 1070 and Core i5 2500k, which is overclocked to 4.4ghz.

Upvote 0
Rift owner Here..

Well started out on a DK2 and sold it just b4 the CV1 preorders went live. Ive gone through a few video card to get it perfect. Now running sli 980ti Oc. If you are getting motion sickness Make sure you are running at 90FPS anything less then that yep you are going to take lots of breaks.. I have AC PC Dirt all running in ultra to high settings locked at 90FPS with a pixel ratio if 2.0 to 2.8 Depending on the game..... Pcars prbly the hardest one to get right mainly you have to keep resetting the game every time you change certain video settings...

Those who are scared to make the leap look at it this way Triples will prbably cost you the same as the Rift or Vive. But are they going to give you the same immersion probably not... Add in a full motion Rig and yep sorry the triples lose out every time...

if anyone needs help with settings just should me a msg

Upvote 0
Let's be honest here, the immersion is amazing but after a week of tweaking, I can't get rid of the blurry vision. The cockpits look amazing but let's be honest, the tracks look blurry and please don't say they don't. I'm ok with it being blurry if that's as good as this version gets but it is blurry.

Upvote 0
I have triple 27's, I tried out the DK2 and I agree the immersion is incomparable. But it was pixelated as $*&#. I'm not a HD nazi by any means but the technology is so early at the moment it has not yet been optimized. Despite the rendering quality, does anyone feel like this has made them "faster" in a sense? To buy...or not to buy, that is the question..

Upvote 0
I have triple 27's, I tried out the DK2 and I agree the immersion is incomparable. But it was pixelated as $*&#. I'm not a HD nazi by any means but the technology is so early at the moment it has not yet been optimized. Despite the rendering quality, does anyone feel like this has made them "faster" in a sense? To buy...or not to buy, that is the question..

It depends. It is more personal I think. It could make you faster, and it will make your drafting much better due to the better awareness.

It depends how fast you currently are and also where your problems are. It is easier to hit apexes and it helps for proper car placement, but it is a bit harder to see further down the track so you might see your braking points later and harder.

Note that I have only DK2, with CV1 should be much better.

Upvote 0
i have a cv1. i never tried dk2 but cv1 is supposed to be significantly better.

i don't really find it blurry maybe the distance is blurry or hazy on the horizon. it's definitely lower res than 1080p.

re being faster with it. you can tell how fast you are going or how far away things are much better but you will have to contend with not being able to see as far and likely sim sickness. Its an interesting question.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely going to order a CV1 shortly, despite having some reservations about not being able to see my immediate environment (steering wheel etc). I used 3D Vision on my current setup with a single 27" Rog Swift, but I plan to also try out a passive 3D TV (in 4K). Will be interesting for sure to compare the Occulus vs large 3D TV in terms of immersion and enjoyment.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely going to order a CV1 shortly, despite having some reservations about not being able to see my immediate environment (steering wheel etc). I used 3D Vision on my current setup with a single 27" Rog Swift, but I plan to also try out a passive 3D TV (in 4K). Will be interesting for sure to compare the Occulus vs large 3D TV in terms of immersion and enjoyment.

@Insert Coin that is exactly how it´s with 3D!

I would not spend any extra money on a 3D TV. I guess in most case you get 3D weither you want it or not but 3D on televisions is not all that great. Plasma is okay and maybe OLED don´t have experience with that but LCD is just to slow which mean to much crosstalk, ghosting. Sadly plasma is not sold anymore.

It´s a bit more fickly to watch stereo3d because Cinavia make it next to impossible to play regular bluray movies through a computer and to watch the 3D you generally have to convert it to SBS. If anybody found a better solution to this issue please advice but when you get it working it´s awesome despite the screendoor :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back